What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting a Go-Pro on the Vertical Stab?

moespeeds

Well Known Member
Friend
Ideas for mounting a Go-Pro on the vertical stab? I'm thinking to drill out 2 of the rivets holding the fiberglass tip on. One on each side near the front, and replace them with rivnuts. I could then make a horseshoe shaped mount that curved over the tip and catch both rivnuts.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

I used two of the GoPro adhesive mounts in tandem with a buckle in each. Had to modify one of the arms by drilling the hole bigger and linked the two mounts to make a triangle, with the camera being supported fore and aft. Don’t have a picture, which would make it easier to explain.

Despite all this, you do get camera shake and I don’t know whether it’s the vertical fin flexing slightly or the camera, it’s not ideal. Mine is mounted near the top of the fin, maybe try halfway up for more rigidity.

I recessed one of the mounts in the top of the vertical stab. It is easy then, to install or remove the camera in seconds. I have used this for years with no issues.

I use this.
20211009_102802-600x450.jpg

Several years ago, I spent a good bit of time trying to come up with an elegant and semi-permanent solution. Finally gave up on that. This approach works well, allows several different cameras to be used, and is easily removed. Not perfect for every scenario though. It's been in use for years without any problems.

Many examples of this mount in use on my YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/c/jdfinley).

Some specific examples:
1. https://youtu.be/2QaiPvR4e5k: Desert southwest flying with a GoPro Max 360 mounted to the vertical fin for the entire video. This is a 360 video so you can use your mouse to look around in any direction and can actually see the mount if you look down.
2. https://youtu.be/xu3XmmIFdLI: Approach and landing at Johnson Creek, ID with a GoPro Max 360 mounted to the vertical fin for the entire video. In this case, the posted video is a standard video (viewer cannot control the view angle like the previous video).
3. https://youtu.be/JPEQ2iRiYgw: Several cameras at work in this video, GoPro Hero6 on the vertical fin. Shots from it at the start, 40 second point, and several others further in.

In my experience, the image stabilization of the GoPro Hero camera line has gotten significantly better with each new version. I have a Hero 4 that I don't use because the video looks terrible compared to the Hero 6. I'm afraid to get a Hero 10 as it will likely render my two Hero 6's junk and I'll be forced to spend more money. :)

Using wide angle view is a compromise. On one hand you really need wide angle for landscape views but that makes everything look like it's five miles away.

Do you notice any low speed loss of directional authority?

A large percentage of my flights are with at least one camera mounted (wintip or vertical) and usually several (both wingtips and vertical). No, I've never noticed any difference. This is true whether flying straight/level, stalls/spins, or doing acro. Obviously, that could vary by airplane so everyone has to approach this carefully and verify their own setup/installation.

Read your operating limitations....

The most recent version of Operating Limitations require that any removable externally mounted equipment must be flight tested and documented in the aircraft maintenance records.

Go Pro mount

608FC82B-946B-4CD1-A2D0-C9E177FC4F97_1_201_a.jpg1. I drilled out the rivets on the fiberglass tip of the vertical stab.
2. I purchased a second fiberglass tip, and painted it.
3. I installed nut plates on both of the tips, so they are interchangeable.
4. I epoxied a Go Pro mount in the second tip.
5. No adverse flight characteristics were noted.

In practice, I never removed the tip with the mount when not using the Go Pro, I simply removed the camera.

Attachments

• 9E2F9D62-7B7D-4CFF-B41B-8CD63F0B6066.jpg
    9E2F9D62-7B7D-4CFF-B41B-8CD63F0B6066.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Vertical stab

I made a small mount out of epoxy, drilled and taped the vertical tab 8/32 .

Attachments

• 632F4BF0-5CEA-40BF-B430-0729D4664E0A.jpg
    632F4BF0-5CEA-40BF-B430-0729D4664E0A.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 136
  • A93DBC7D-C4FD-4D2C-91E5-3A89EF65C06C.jpg
    A93DBC7D-C4FD-4D2C-91E5-3A89EF65C06C.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 121
Great ideas! All of my videos are GoPro on the inside. I'd like venture to the out side of the plane. Are the GoPros your using remotely/bluetooth able to be started and stopped? Seems you'd have to have that or batteries would run down too quickly. I don't think mine are... they are old! Which versions of GoPro would be the best upgrade?

Edited.
JD! Love the shots from the 360 ahead of the wing. I see rockwoodrv9 post below and I like a pic too. What is the material of the mount?

Last edited:
A large percentage of my flights are with at least one camera mounted (wintip or vertical) and usually several (both wingtips and vertical). No, I've never noticed any difference. This is true whether flying straight/level, stalls/spins, or doing acro. Obviously, that could vary by airplane so everyone has to approach this carefully and verify their own setup/installation.

JD, how did you mount the extension stick on your wing? Do you have a pic? Thanks

Back