What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

With Autopilot on right wing sits lower.

design4p

Hi,

Whenever, I have Autopilot on, either using a NAV, heading or track the axes (tilt) of the aircraft is slightly lower on the Starboard wing (slightly higher port wing).

However, with the Autopilot not engaged the aircraft is level.

Any suggestions for the cause and correction would be appreciated.

Regards John

I've seen something similar with my GRT when the ball is not centered. When I center the ball, the wing comes back up.

Which AP are you flying? Is the ball centered?

The avionics is all Garmin. Not sure about the ball in the 2 scenario's -will check on next flying visit.

Yep--- Ball not centered. When it does that, try to add a little rudder to center the ball and I bet you will see the wing come up.

Keith

Yaw

Does your autopilot have a yaw damper?? If so, maybe that system is not set up right.

With the autopilot engaged, you have more electrons in the roll servo and associated wiring. This makes the right wing heavier.

:rolleyes:

Just kidding. Couldn’t resist. :cool:

Hi,

No yaw damper fitted. I will make sure the ball is centred during my next flight and report back.

Regards John

Rudder trim

I always wondered about rudder trim on the 7, 8 and 9 series. Curious how many Vans builders have installed rudder trim?

My 3$ fully adjustable RV-8 rudder trim with automatic disengage found in the ACE hardware aircraft aisle pictured below.

I could also have put a wedge on the rudder but that only works for one speed. Without a rudder trim and with a 2 axis autopilot and feet of the rudder you will always have a low wing for all but one speed. If you are lucky that’s the speed you usually cruise at.

Oliver

Attachments

• 5378AF52-98D2-48A7-BD4B-E85F24C75C57.jpg
    5378AF52-98D2-48A7-BD4B-E85F24C75C57.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 170
I always wondered about rudder trim on the 7, 8 and 9 series. Curious how many Vans builders have installed rudder trim?

I find it unnecessary in RVs.. right rudder for climb, left rudder in a descent, put a wedge on the rudder for cruise. When I used to banner tow, I got tired of holding right rudder in the L-19 Birddog, I would bring bungee cords and apply tension on the rear pedal.. in my RV, you can rest the weight of your foot and make a difference.

fixed tab rudder trim

Use 3M VHB (very high bond) double sided tape to put a thin aluminum trim tab on your rudder. I have used it on three airplanes now and never had the tape fail. Simple and effective, but only works at cruise speed. I also used this for aileron trim but since the trim changes with passengers, I got tired of it and put in a trim servo for aileron. Not needed for the rudder.
Ed

Back