What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flush mount gascolator

Looks like it is intended as a low point drain in picture #9 on the website, under the fuel selector for side-by-side planes.

Attachments

• Aerolab Photo 9.jpg
    Aerolab Photo 9.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 264
Thanks

Thanks ...I actually have mine installed ...RV4 ..centreline just ahead of control stick in belly ....my concern is exhaust heat impingement on the unit and possibly causing vapor lock problems. The unit itself is a great piece .....I am converting from carb to mechanical fuel injection ( obviously an electric boost pump also ) and stuck with gascolator by local regs .... or as per very informed experienced advise I would not install a gascolator. The location is about the lowest( close) spot in fuel system and physically about the only spot that makes sense...but as much as my vetterman 4 stack is angled down and outward I was still concerned. Might not be an issue but temps have soared here lately and fuel in the tank ( if there was any ...drained for this work ) would be in the 90 degree range and short walk to 130 degree boiling point .
As I said might not be a problem in reality as I am a while before I can actually try running the engine...but thought I probably wasn't the first or only one to try one of these. Cheers. Stew

Loooking for in service experience

Would be great to hear from someone who is up and running with one of these gascolator as to their experiences ?? Still concerned about heat from exhaust....wish I knew how to post pictures. Many thanks. Stew

My F1 has an andair gascolator in that location and I have experienced no heat issues in 16 years. I would expect no difference with the unit you are proposing.

Many thanks

Great info ...appreciated all the responses.....going to try and measure temp increase ( if any ) across the unit on a ground run just for piece of mind

I have been using one for a couple of years. There are no issues mounted on the belly of my rv9a about 30” aft of the exhaust. I have purchased a second one for roughly the same location on my rans s21 that is in production now. They are a top quality unit and Blake stands behind his stuff.

Thanks

Yes ..they are a superb quality unit and Blake is GREAT ...thanks for the distance behind exhaust reference....I am about 18" ...but I think in the area before exhaust would reattach to fuselage with my outward canted exhaust tips.

Yes ..they are a superb quality unit and Blake is GREAT ...thanks for the distance behind exhaust reference....I am about 18" ...but I think in the area before exhaust would reattach to fuselage with my outward canted exhaust tips.

I also had a very good experience with both installation and overall usability and quality.

Back