What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A Question for the Canadians

Jetmart

Well Known Member
Does anyone have recent experience with Transport Canada turn around time from final inspection completion to C of A being issued?

When I had mine done the inspector had the C of A with him in an envelope addressed to me. He was required to have his peers go over the paper work before sending it in to Transport Canada. Process should have taken no more than two weeks. After final inspection passed, I booked transition training stupidly thinking I would get my C of A soon after. I waited two months to the day for it to arrive.
I was criticized severely by the peer for expecting the process to move along faster. I asked what should be more important , the dot in the correct place on a document or currency training. I guess it was the dot on the document in TC 's eyes.
I'm not sure if all inspection documents need to be reviewed by someone else , if not perhaps your inspector would just hand it over.
P.S. my local MDRA inspector is the best . Thorough and doesn't miss anything, I like that, it's my butt. He works hard at accommodating inspection times and keeps you updated if there needs to be a change. He also answers calls or returns them quickly, not common with communications now days

Last edited:
Transport Canada

See if you can get a name you can email or call. My buddy finally got hold of someone who advised their mail was just sitting in a room as no one was checking it. He was able to email his documents and get a fairly quick turn around.
Good luck

If I recall correctly, my original one back in 2018 was about 3 weeks but a lot of that was MD-RA delays. My revised Special C of A at the end of testing in late 2018 was maybe a week, not much longer than postal delivery time. This year on April 1st I had my VFR only restriction removed. The official Transport Canada time was 3-1/2 business days. That was quick only because I was in constant contact with the inspector who issued the document. I guess that and the fact they they've been authorized to deliver documents electronically now rather than by Canada Post.

As was mentioned above, this goes much better if you can find out who the inspector is that is assigned your request.

A gent across the road had his CofA back in about 3 weeks, this was a couple months ago - during Covid!
If all the forms match and the regional supervisor has no follow-up questions, it should go pretty quick.
Your inspector should know what's holding it up & what exactly is the problem.

The last time, when I did my RV14, four years ago, I had great support from the Hamilton Transport Canada office and things were done in a very timely manner.

Does anyone have recent experience with Transport Canada turn around time from final inspection completion to C of A being issued?

Had the final inspection on my 4 done on June 6. Still waiting for the MDRA to send my special CofA. I don't think Transport gets involved until the 25 hrs are flown off. Then you apply and pay TC for the final C of A and they remove the restrictions.

Pre-COVID, when I did my 7 four years ago it took 10 days to get the special C of A from the MDRA so I could fly off the 25 hrs. It then only took a couple days to get the final from TC after bringing the paperwork to the Pearson office. No idea how long things will take in this COVID age.

I don't think Transport gets involved until the 25 hrs are flown off. Then you apply and pay TC for the final C of A and they remove the restrictions.

You know, you're right. I'd forgotten, but my initial C of A was issued by the regional MD-RA supervisor. The removal of testing limits was my first contact with TC (apart from registration).

My MDRA inspector told me to send in my application for registration 6 months ahead of my estimated final inspection date to avoid delays in getting flight authority.

My tax dollars at play. Take a 6’ long piece of red tape. Give it half a twist and tape the ends together. Using scissors, cut the tape lengthwise. Once you have two ribbons, send your application to Transport Canada and they will begin working on it. Send any complaints the same way.

My MDRA inspector told me to send in my application for registration 6 months ahead of my estimated final inspection date to avoid delays in getting flight authority.

Problem with that is you need to send in a picture of your "completed" plane with the registration. I sent mine in as soon as I had the wings on. I had it ready to fly in about 3-4 weeks after that, my registration took 6 weeks beyond that. Talk about a painful wait.

Problem with that is you need to send in a picture of your "completed" plane with the registration. I sent mine in as soon as I had the wings on. I had it ready to fly in about 3-4 weeks after that, my registration took 6 weeks beyond that. Talk about a painful wait.

Actually that is not correct. The registration can be done anytime and doesn't require a picture or the airplane completed. The INITIAL APPLICATION FOR
A SPECIAL CERTIFICATE OF AIRWORTHINESS FOR AMATEUR-BUILT AIRCRAFT
does requires the picture and cannot be submitted until the final inspection is completed.

I just went through the process and had great service from the MDRA.

Actually that is not correct. The registration can be done anytime and doesn't require a picture or the airplane completed. The INITIAL APPLICATION FOR
A SPECIAL CERTIFICATE OF AIRWORTHINESS FOR AMATEUR-BUILT AIRCRAFT
does requires the picture and cannot be submitted until the final inspection is completed.

I just went through the process and had great service from the MDRA.

Well that had me going over why I submitted a picture. The answer is we're both right. 3 years ago I sent my request for final inspection to MD-RA as was (and still is) required before applying for the C of R. The FINAL INSPECTION NOTICE that I got in response included the document C16E PROCEDURE TO OBTAIN A CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION PRIOR TO FINAL/IMPORT INSPECTION. This document included the following requirement.
3/4 side view photo of the completed aircraft showing registration marks affixed.

Here's the rub, that document I got was the 20151005 version. The current version of that document is 20200923 and it no longer includes this requirement.

So you are correct, this is no longer a requirement. It was for me and I'm glad to see that it was removed.

Well that had me going over why I submitted a picture. The answer is we're both right. 3 years ago I sent my request for final inspection to MD-RA as was (and still is) required before applying for the C of R. The FINAL INSPECTION NOTICE that I got in response included the document C16E PROCEDURE TO OBTAIN A CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION PRIOR TO FINAL/IMPORT INSPECTION. This document included the following requirement.

Here's the rub, that document I got was the 20151005 version. The current version of that document is 20200923 and it no longer includes this requirement.

So you are correct, this is no longer a requirement. It was for me and I'm glad to see that it was removed.

Thanks for the clarification. I found my recent registration process and the application for Special Certificate of Airworthiness to be pretty straight forward and well explained within the MDRA documents.

Back