What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv 8 parachute

animal145

Hello all

I?m in the market for a parachute. I have a rv 8 and I am debating between a few softie models and a strong 314 or a 311 wedge (very open to all suggestions). I have not worn a parachute in almost 18 years and it was in a chipmunk.

I have searched the forum here and I?m sure I?ve missed the Golden conversation. I don?t yet know what all I don?t know about the subject. I am curious with the seat chutes if it interferes with full aft stick movement.

Also how?s the comfort level with the different types. I understand the backpack ones will push me forward a few inches at most.

I also have read that there is a further ?rating? for a rigger to pack a seat chute. Are folks that can pack a seat chute really that much harder to find?

I am 6 ft and 240.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have a long softie which I use in my glider, so naturally I want to use it in the RV-8 also. I found that the thickness of the parachute situates you closer to the instrument panel -- that is probably inevitable -- but it also made me feel like I was sitting too upright.

So, I made a second seat back that accommodates the parachute better. It is like a standard RV-8 seat back except that it has been modified to move most of the seat back farther aft. I think I posted a picture of it loooooong ago, but I may not have the link corrected to my current web host.

So, if you search on "improved comfort for aerobatics" my old thread will come up. Sadly yes the photo of the seatback is no longer visible. I added a comment to that old thread so it would re-surface here now, to make it easy for you to find.

Last edited:
I tried a seat pack but never felt comfortable with it. Now I have a Softie Mini with an aerobatic harness. Like it much more but it still puts you a bit closer to the panel. I don't mind that and got used to that position quite quickly.

At 240 pounds, you want a Softie. They offer larger canopies that will slow your descent. As a former SF guy, some things to consider are the types snaps on the harness. I used quick ejector snaps for legs and chest strap. If you land in the water, you want to be out of that harness as fast as possible. The quick ejector snaps can be released even under load, with one hand. Also you will want the 26? canopy. Seat packs aren?t comfortable after an hour.

I tried a seat pack but never felt comfortable with it. Now I have a Softie Mini with an aerobatic harness. Like it much more but it still puts you a bit closer to the panel. I don't mind that and got used to that position quite quickly.

I tried various chutes until I found one I liked. I found the Strong chute a bit large and bulky. The seat pack didn't work for me because of my tall sitting height. The Wedge Softie was too reclined. And the Mini Softie also had me too close to the panel. Finally what worked was the Softie packed sort of like a wedge with a lot of the material toward the bottom and thinner at top. No chute is comfortable, but this was the best compromise.

I'm a parachute rigger, dealer, and jumper with 40 years of experience. At 240 lbs you need good, professional advice on what to buy. You can call me during business hours and I'd be happy to provide that for free. 760 533-0341 (M-F 10am to 4 pm California time.)

I updated the URL to the photo of my modified seat back that helps with comfort with my long softie. It also helps to pack the chute "diaper down" to create a shape that is thicker down low and thinner at the shoulders, as Jerry mentioned in post #5.

DSCN0050b.jpg
http://[/IMG]

+1 for Robert Marshall. He packs my chute.

Last edited:
I updated the URL to the photo of my modified seat back that helps with comfort with my long softie. It also helps to pack the chute "diaper down" to create a shape that is thicker down low and thinner at the shoulders, as Jerry mentioned in post #5.

DSCN0050b.jpg
http://[/IMG]

+1 for Robert Marshall. He packs my chute.

Hi Steve, I had had a chute that was 3 1/2 inches thick. Pushed me so far forward, I sold it. Anyway, I like your idea here. Just to make sure I've got it right, with the bend in your backrest, you didn't have to move your roll bar it attaches to back, correct? The only thing changed in your 8 is this backrest??

I am 6ft 5" and swear by a Thomas Pop-Top. It is not a seat parachute, but slim pack to give max legroom / headroom. They do a 26/28ft canopy option, I chose the smaller canopy on the basis that I would hopefully not need to use it, but in the meantime still have as much room as possible. Quite frankly, it is the most comfortable parachute I have ever used (including Softie).

http://www.thomas-sports.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8&zenid=dru870l4gj4ug6qoes78q6ob01

Hi Steve, I had had a chute that was 3 1/2 inches thick. Pushed me so far forward, I sold it. Anyway, I like your idea here. Just to make sure I've got it right, with the bend in your backrest, you didn't have to move your roll bar it attaches to back, correct? The only thing changed in your 8 is this backrest??

Yes that is correct. The side rails are long enough to still rest on the cabin cross brace, with no other modification. I normally have a Aero Classics seat in the front, I just pull that one out and pop this one in.

Question

Is the seat back shown here the same width as the standard seat back? Even the smallest softie isn't narrow enough to fit between the vertical bars. I keep looking for a solution that wouldn't move me forward much if at all. Thanks!

Get out?

Can you actually get out of a RV-8 without a jettison capable canopy? I understand that in the proper circumstance that one could be very motivated but, depending on the flight characteristics at the time, it would seem to limit your ability to get the canopy open enough to egress. I experimented once with my canopy unlocked (......ok, I forgot to latch it and thought that I would take advantage of the situation to test it). It opens and stays open just a few inches and very difficult to move forward or aft based on my very limited experience.

I had a Softie but sold it based partially on this trial.

Thanks for any ideas. I would like to get another one if I restart formation flying.

John

Many have installed pip pins in lieu of bolts in the forward canopy rollers, like Ron did in the post below. Open the canopy enough to clear the windscreen fairing, pull the pip pins, push the canopy up into the slipstream. Duck and move your head as far forward as possible while doing this to minimize the chance of the canopy hitting your head, but it may well anyway as Sean Tucker found out when bailing out of his aerobatic biplane (start watching at about 3:45). The canopy hit his helmet as it came off. He says that without the helmet, he may have been incapacitated by the canopy hitting his head.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1332903&postcount=108

Thanks. I wonder where those PIP pins can be found.

John

Back