What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator oil canning

RandyAB

Well Known Member
Good day all.

I just finished adding the trim tabs to my elevators last night. After riveting the skin to the rear spar and hinge I noticed a bit of oil canning on the top of the elevator between the inboard rib and the first stiffener and the first stiffener and the second stiffener. The skin isn't creased at all. There was a slight bit of pillowing of the skin along that edge. I drilled out the 8 most inboard rivets along that edge and re-did them. That took most of the pillowing out of the edge but the oil canning is still present. Once again, there is no other obvious skin deformation.

I removed the access plate on the bottom and peeled back the rolled leading edges to inspect the interior. The rivets look great and there is nothing out of place.

Is this of structural concern and do I need to be concern?? I have images of a flutter with the elevator shaking itself to death and taking me with it.

Thanks for the input.

just to be sure...

are talking elevator or stabilizer? There is no "rear spar" in the elevator. Important to get all this straight, no pun intended, before asking or giving advice...? The elevator has a front spar and the infamous trailing edge, none related to the trim tab.

There is a rear spar in the elevators. I know. I had to order replacements when I messed up the countersink for the skin dimple at the trim tab attach

Give Vans a shout. They'll probably say build on, oil canning is not really desirable, but not uncommon. Ended up with some on my rudder, fretted about it, then found some on one of the booth planes at the Vans tent at SnF (I think their -14). I'm guessing even a tight surface might can on a really hot day.

are talking elevator or stabilizer? There is no "rear spar" in the elevator. Important to get all this straight, no pun intended, before asking or giving advice...? The elevator has a front spar and the infamous trailing edge, none related to the trim tab.

There most certainly is a rear spar. Thanks

Give Vans a shout. They'll probably say build on, oil canning is not really desirable, but not uncommon. Ended up with some on my rudder, fretted about it, then found some on one of the booth planes at the Vans tent at SnF (I think their -14). I'm guessing even a tight surface might can on a really hot day.

I drilled out the rivets and am going to redo that line to try and get it perfect. The hinge segment needs replacement since it doesn't hold its form very well after being riveted.

my bad & apology

was reliving the RV7 build days....should have gone out to the hanger and looked...yes indeed, a rear spar there is for the 10...:rolleyes:

Back