What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Computer/pad with gps/map software ?

whirlpool

Well Known Member
I am looking for a computer or notebook that is capable of running gps, moving map software. I am open to suggestions, even open to the idea of waiting for the new ipad. I want a robust unit that can be used in a mounted situation but can be removed and taken home without much hassle. If you know of such a unit or software please let me know. I am looking for ipad size screen and would like a gps artificial horizon. I dont really need ahrs. I will consider small pocket/palm style units. Please let me know what is available. Thanks, Ed Edwards 479 629 1986

GPS and Moving Map Software

Have you looked at this:

https://ifly.adventurepilot.com/Home.aspx

It might be worth ordering to see whether or not it really is viewable in actual flight conditions. Let us all know if you try it out. With its 30 day money back guarantee if you need something like this it is worth a look.

I am looking for a computer or notebook that is capable of running gps, moving map software. I am open to suggestions, even open to the idea of waiting for the new ipad. I want a robust unit that can be used in a mounted situation but can be removed and taken home without much hassle. If you know of such a unit or software please let me know. I am looking for ipad size screen and would like a gps artificial horizon. I dont really need ahrs. I will consider small pocket/palm style units. Please let me know what is available. Thanks, Ed Edwards 479 629 1986

Flight Cheetah

Check out either the Flight Cheetah 150 or the larger 190. http://www.aviationsafety.com/

I have the 150. It is small but a very powerful Windows XP computer that the software runs in. I also turned the Wifi on (it comes with it disabled) so it is a fully functioning computer while away from my desk.

Their software is very powerful and can't be beat for the price and functionality. For $300/yr you get all available charts (TACs, Sectionals, IAP's, L Charts, etc.) which are geo-referenced plus all airport data and fuel prices. full flight planning capabilities, synthetic vision, HITS, terrain, and a bunch of other fun stuff. Working it is a combination of the built in mouse and touch screen.

The only caveat is that at least on the 150 the screen is not very readable in sunlight but sitting on my knee in an RV4 it is pretty well shaded.

fl150web1.jpg
m_fl190.png

PocketFMS - hardware reports

Ed,

go the website of www.pocketfms.com in the forum and into the section ?PocketPCs, Tablet PCs & non-GPS hardware? (www.pocketfms.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=4) and you?ll find good stuff and latest news.

I myself use a.) a 8" Motioncomputing LS800 in the Subaru Robin and b.) a 7" Samsung Q1 in the RV-4. LS800 working in the Subaru Robin:
dvrkfb.jpg

Besides that - PocketFMS is the best Nav Software I came across so far in 30+ years fo flying (ok - for some 25+ years of that there were no moving maps anyway).

Cheers, Heinz
P.S. No - I am not on the PocketFMS payroll nor connected to them in any way ... except that these 2 guys from the foundation are very nice people and somehow ?remote aviation friends?.

Get yourself a full featured Q1 ultra (big HD and lots of RAM) and load the Truemap (flight cheetah ) software. add a USB GPS and Wx Works reciever and you have a Flight Chetah 190 that doubles as a full working computer.

I have been using mine for years in the plane and as a travel/work computer.

I think there is currently one on ebay.

100_2215_Small.jpg

I've got this:
http://www.approach-systems.com/
(basic vfr version)

running on an HP iPaq. I downloaded it when it was free, & it's pretty good for the price. :) It's no longer free, but it's still very cheap to buy & update. Includes private airports and obstructions & will run on anything from winmobile (400mhz minimum) to full fledged windows systems. I asked them a few weeks ago about porting it to Android (to run it on inexpensive Android smart phone or 'internet tablet') & they said that they are working on it.

The biggest issue for me is I need a bigger display, so I'm looking for a reasonably priced tablet.

The interface is 'different', but so is AnywhereMap, or any system when you transition from one system to another.

Charlie

Seattle Avionics

Check out Seattle Avionics. They offer a "Skypad" EFB, a medium sized handheld tablet PC with bluetooth GPS, running the Voyager software. I've been using the Voyager software on my laptop for a couple years and love it. It's by far the most powerful flight planning and in-flight software I've used. This new Skypad is smaller and much easier to use than my laptop, and would work much better for in-flight use.

I just got an email a couple days ago offering the Skypad for $895, pre-loaded with the Voyager software and the GPS. You do have to pre-pay a year of subscription, but I do that anyway. It might be worth you looking into it.

www.seattleavionics.com
*Their website seems to be down at the moment, but no doubt it will come back up shortly. Must be everyone grabbing the Skypads.

Back