What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NavWorx tech issues - help each other

I have had flights with a yellow NACv like yours with similar values.
I have also had shorter flights with no NACv abnormalities.
That particular metric from my research will be dependant on the different flight regimes and durations.

I would also suggest NOT poking the FAA bear for additional information on the yellow indication. Their response could come in the form of an update requirement - rendering our NavWorx equipment no longer usable.

Oh def NOT gonna poke the bear!
BTW, love N06. Almost took a hangar there, but Easton offered first. I frequently shoot into your locale. Best hard packed grass Ive ever landed on. Which they were all like that. Prepped me well for my first wheelies at ESN.

Actually looking back at it, we met once or twice, while I was training in my buddies M2. We came by and stopped to BS one day about your RV.......but I dont think we ever talked Navworx....

Last edited:
GPS resolving failure and fix

I've been flying a fully certified ADS600-BG (-0112) for 10 years.
More recently I began experiencing sporadic failures reported by ATC. I did not know whether it was ground based issues which were common prior to 2020 or whether it was my equipment.
At about the same time I learned the final rule on installation required the ability to disable the ADSB vs the opposite in 2013.
I decided to install a breaker and also hook up the status light output. I also spent time finding where in the menu structure of the GRT EX the ADSB communication status resided. It was pleasantly detailed.

So......i did see some fails on bootup indicated by the status light. The GRT indicated the Navworx was not resolving GPS position.
Three possibilities. Internal GPS, cable or antenna. Checked cable, removed antenna and cleaned corrosion from antenna base and aircraft skin and crossed my fingers that the internal GPS module was still good.

It worked. The GPS is resolving right away on power application now. It was taking 5 to 10 minutes previously.

Last edited:
NACv ongoing discussion

Just to update others on the NACv ongoing thread...
Yesterday's flight was .7 duration in the local area.
The PAPR showed NACv values of Min 3, Max 4, Avg 3.9 in yellow.

Interested to see what the certified machine gives for NACv.

I ran a PAPR on a 2 hr cross country from a couple of weeks ago in order to answer your question.

NACv reported average 4.0 and max 4. Yellow. As high a value as possible.
As the guide implies, the yellow appears arbitrarily set because the FAA has not tested anything over a 2 so therefore yellow. I am quite happy with the report of high accuracy from the internal TSO-145 gps.

Sounds like the holy hand grenade. First one, then two, but three and four are right out.

On a side note, I am distressed by the claims in this thread of 0012 and 0013 units being certified.
The Navworks manual itself says the GPS is uncertified in those models.

Agreed!

From my understanding, you'll have to credit Bill Moffitt for the certified conversation. The -0012 and -0013 originally met the same performance standards as the -0112 and -0113 and he called them certified to standards.

Then the FAA changed their requirements regarding SIL - he changed the software - the FAA issued an AD that said don't use -0012 and -0013 because they had uncertified internal GPS modules.

We get to keep using them - as long as we have an approved external GPS source. There were three (from my memory) Global AMOCs approved to allow the Garmin 4xxW, 5xxW, 480, and something else that escapes me, to be used as external sources.

We are holding on by a slim thread with these devices... Hope this helps with the background history!

We get to keep using them - as long as we have an approved external GPS source. There were three (from my memory) Global AMOCs approved to allow the Garmin 4xxW, 5xxW, 480, and something else that escapes me, to be used as external sources.

We are holding on by a slim thread with these devices... Hope this helps with the background history!

You left off the GTN series…..

Over the years there have been a few others as well.

I’ve probably forgotten most of my product knowledge since we did the original AMOCs. I work in IT at a bank. One of the controls is that nothing is in the production environment unless there is vendor support. I feel the same way about avionics. I view the AMOCs as a short term band aid to help buy some time before investing in a replacement adsb solution. I unloaded my unit shortly after the AMOC was approved. My personal opinion is that people need to move off the Navworx products. Our AMOCs bought time so people could budget their replacements instead of a forced upgrade.

Yup - I'm setting up to replace my NavWorx box with a different vendor - with added features and support!

Thanks for the added info on the GTN.....

Yup - I'm setting up to replace my NavWorx box with a different vendor - with added features and support!

Thanks for the added info on the GTN.....

I'm not ditching mine. I'll keep using it until I'm told I cant. If it aint broke....

As such, I'm now close to finishing Phase1 and need to do the AMOC documentation with Baltimore FSDO so I can go fly outside my DAR box. Maybe its been answered in this thread before (but its way long to search thru), can someone point to what they want for an email? I didnt find via AOPA what the FSDOs want for docs on this. Or is it just and email - "heres my serial num, and I'm using a GNS480....." ? I dont want to "poke the bear" by sending my yellow MACv PAPr to them if I dont have to......

Any (rehash?) of the help for this?

It worked. The GPS is resolving right away on power application now. It was taking 5 to 10 minutes previously.

Bill, I just read your signature block. I know its probably not relavant any more, but FWIW, I went with polished and vinyl - all hand cut. It came out excellent. People think its a Flight Designs scheme. You can do a lot with some patience and a sharp razor blade.....See my avatar pic.....

From my memory, the AMOC has instructions for use but it is vague..."Notify...manager of local FSDO/Certificate Holding District Office.

I would simply state "I am planning to use the Global AMOC dated xxxxxxx for the GNS480" Make them ask you for additional information... You will need to reference the specific AMOC and have a copy to ensure your compliance with the requirements stated therein. I wrote the one for the Garmin 4XXW/5XXW series and have it. Someone else wrote the one for the 480.... But is should be available through AOPA, EAA or the FAA as it is a Federally published document....

Hope this helps....

I'm not ditching mine. I'll keep using it until I'm told I cant. If it aint broke....

As such, I'm now close to finishing Phase1 and need to do the AMOC documentation with Baltimore FSDO so I can go fly outside my DAR box. Maybe its been answered in this thread before (but its way long to search thru), can someone point to what they want for an email? I didnt find via AOPA what the FSDOs want for docs on this. Or is it just and email - "heres my serial num, and I'm using a GNS480....." ? I dont want to "poke the bear" by sending my yellow MACv PAPr to them if I dont have to......

Any (rehash?) of the help for this?

Yes I read those before posting, and theyre not helpful guidance. I have a copy of Phil Yoders original 480 AMOC submission, but its excessive - wiring diagrams, 480 documentation from Garmin, his PAPR etc etc. Just wondering what others have done. I guess I'll just mail them a letter ref the AMOC, a pic with my boxs serial number and the appropriate placarding, and leave it at that.

From my memory....

I ended up giving them N-number, NavWorx part and serial number, Garmin 430W part and serial number, picture of the placard saying external source only, and name.

I had to give them a lot more to get the AMOC...wiring diagrams, screenshots of settings, installation pictures.... Like Phil did....

From my memory....

I ended up giving them N-number, NavWorx part and serial number, Garmin 430W part and serial number, picture of the placard saying external source only, and name.

I had to give them a lot more to get the AMOC...wiring diagrams, screenshots of settings, installation pictures.... Like Phil did....

Ok thanks Ralph. I'll check the square and fly on!

Cheers!

Transitioning to FreeFlight

Folks,
I am transitioning to a FreeFlight Rangr installation to maintain support and get new features. Anon-mode and ForeFlight will be the first new features taken advantage of.

The current NavWorx installation and infrastructure will remain intact and I can continue to respond to questions concerning my original and transition installations.

Meanwhile, this will leave me with some extra equipment that I can use to help others keep their installations alive for the time being.

No horse in this race but better options are available these days. The one box does it all solution with a GTX345 or the Appareo unit might be a better option.

Hi Ralph,

Curious what the Rangr install is costing you and how easy it was to replace the Navworx unit... My Navworx is still going strong and I have a spare in case it goes out, but may be interested in an upgrade at some point...

Thx,
Brian

QUOTE=recapen;1735745]Folks,
I am transitioning to a FreeFlight Rangr installation to maintain support and get new features. Anon-mode and ForeFlight will be the first new features taken advantage of.

The current NavWorx installation and infrastructure will remain intact and I can continue to respond to questions concerning my original and transition installations.

Meanwhile, this will leave me with some extra equipment that I can use to help others keep their installations alive for the time being.[/QUOTE]

I have already purchased the Rangr based on ease of replacing the existing functionality.

I made a cable adapter to convert the NavWorx pinouts to the Rangr pinouts.
I bolted the Rangr into essentially the same place as the NavWorx was.
The antenna cable fit right on the Rangr.

It looks like the installation and configuration were pretty easy - but I am getting a couple of error messages from my 430W and MX-20 - already notified the FreeFlight folks.

Meanwhile, the NavWorx stuff is still in place so I can still fly with that until we get the error messages sorted out.

Sounds pretty simple and painless... Looking forward to hearing how it works out in the end.

I have already purchased the Rangr based on ease of replacing the existing functionality.

It looks like the installation and configuration were pretty easy - but I am getting a couple of error messages from my 430W and MX-20 - already notified the FreeFlight folks.

Meanwhile, the NavWorx stuff is still in place so I can still fly with that until we get the error messages sorted out.

No horse in this race but better options are available these days. The one box does it all solution with a GTX345 or the Appareo unit might be a better option.

Perfect when are you putting mine in? lol

The 345 looks like a better deal - but I don't know that it supports the MX-20 - which the NavWorx and Rangr do....
Update - yes it does - much better deal than the Rangr...or I just got taken by my local vendor and FreeFlight....

Last edited:
Trying to get up to speed with Navworx without reading through 28 pages of commits I dont understand anyway.
I recently purchased a 10 that has a Navworx unit and looking at options to replace it.
Would a GDL88 work with my exisitng gtx327? it's about 1/2 the price of the gtx345.

NavWorx WI-FI and Foreflight

I have the WI-FI option on my Navworx unit and my ForeFlight works fine with it for ADSB Traffic and weather. If there is any interest I might have 1spare Navworx WI-FI add on unit laying around?

Tron

Tim,

If you want the same functionality, the 345 is a better option than the FreeFlight Rangr - but it goes in the panel and will take up more panel room if you currently have a SL-70.

If you want to install the new box in the same place as the old, the Rangr will occupy less space in the same location and you can build an adapter cable to convert the pins from your NavWorx to the Rangr.

You are correct to think about replacing the NavWorx box as it is no longer supported and newer devices have added features. Since NavWorx went under, the prices went up for that and a number of other reasons. My NavWorx box still works - but it doesn't have WiFi (for my upcoming use of ForeFlight) or Anonymous mode...the lack of future support is concerning for the long run. Meanwhile, it still runs while I get the Rangr installation issues sorted out with FreeFlight.

Tim,

If you want the same functionality, the 345 is a better option than the FreeFlight Rangr - but it goes in the panel and will take up more panel room if you currently have a SL-70.

Not sure what the SL-70 is?
My current configuration is Dual AFS 5600 (displaying weather and traffic from the NavWorx)
My navigator is a Legacy 750 controlling a remote mounted gtx 327, (no weather or traffic)
My thoughts are to add the GDL 88 to the remote 327 for ADSB out and Weather and traffic on the 750.
Replace the NavWorx with a ADSB in so I can retain traffic and weather on the 5600's.
IS this a realistic option?

The SL-70 is a thinner (and older) Mode A/C transponder originally made by IIMorrow - which was purchased by UPS Aviation Technologies...and subsequently purchased by Garmin.

The 327 and newer 345 are thicker and take more panel space to accommodate additional features and interfaces.

Can NavWorx be used for ADS-B in only?
My NavWorx is currently ADSB in&out, getting its gps source from my 750 and suppliing My AFS 5600's with weather and traffic. (the 750 currently does not have traffic and weather).
My plan is to upgrade my gtx 327 to a gtx 345 (ADSB in&out) and supply the 750 with Weather and trafffic.
Can I continue to use the NavWorx for the ADSB in only for Traffic and Weather on the 5600's?

Can NavWorx be used for ADS-B in only?
My NavWorx is currently ADSB in&out, getting its gps source from my 750 and suppliing My AFS 5600's with weather and traffic. (the 750 currently does not have traffic and weather).
My plan is to upgrade my gtx 327 to a gtx 345 (ADSB in&out) and supply the 750 with Weather and trafffic.
Can I continue to use the NavWorx for the ADSB in only for Traffic and Weather on the 5600's?
Do yourself a favor and just buy a ADSB-472 And the Dynon Transponder.

1. Both interface with your 5600 much better than the Navworx or Garmin transponder.
2. The 472 has more functionality than the Navworx. support for some of the newer adsb features, dual frequency input, etc…..
3. The transponder can be mounted anywhere, which frees up panel space. The transponder is remote controlled by the efis.
4. You really want traffic and weather on your map, not the gps. Assuming you have more than one efis.
5. The Navworx is a dead product with no support. Also haven’t had any updates in quite a while. You really should plan to upgrade to a product that has current vendor support.

but to answer your question, you should be able to do what you asked.

Ralph, I know youre moving over to the Ranger, but a Navworx related qu.

I think you also fly with GRT screens as I do. I get traffic showing up on my GNS480 from the navworx box no problem, but it only occassionally does it show up on the GRT screens. I cant quite figure out why, but I expect its a setting issue. Since the Navworx can only do 9600 baud (and thats working with the 480) I have that set on the GRT serial-in as well. But which "box" setting do you use in the GRT? Ive tried most all of them, and settled on "GRT Discovery" but none give me a consistent traffic picture, yet I know theres traffic out there..

What settings are you using? I havent called Jeff yet; just checking w you here first.

Thanks for any help.

Ralph, I know youre moving over to the Ranger, but a Navworx related qu.

I think you also fly with GRT screens as I do. I get traffic showing up on my GNS480 from the navworx box no problem, but it only occassionally does it show up on the GRT screens. I cant quite figure out why, but I expect its a setting issue. Since the Navworx can only do 9600 baud (and thats working with the 480) I have that set on the GRT serial-in as well. But which "box" setting do you use in the GRT? Ive tried most all of them, and settled on "GRT Discovery" but none give me a consistent traffic picture, yet I know theres traffic out there..

What settings are you using? I havent called Jeff yet; just checking w you here first.

Thanks for any help.
I have a GRT Mini-AP but it is not hooked up to the NavWorx box. Not enough ports on the GRT and I didn't buy the Serial port upgrade box...it wasn't available when I installed my Mini....

I have a GRT Mini-AP but it is not hooked up to the NavWorx box. Not enough ports on the GRT and I didn't buy the Serial port upgrade box...it wasn't available when I installed my Mini....
Ah ok thanks Ralph, my bad. I'll swing by N06 one day soon and say hi.

So to the group....anyone running a Navworx box and GRT screens, and if so what baud and "box" setting on the GRT are you using to get consistent traffic? Or any other settings that are useful to know.

Thanks for any help.

PS: I'm also going to post over on the GRTAvionics site and see if theres anyone who's been down this road.......

Folks,

I know there are at least a couple of us out here with NavWorx equipment with non-AD related technical issues...while waiting for NavWorx to respond to our technical issue help requests, we should attempt to help each other.

To that end, I have a 6A with a NavWorx ADS600B -13 connected to a 430W, SL-70, and MX-20...

My unit displays "Ready for Flight" and "TX/RX Error", while not actually working. The "TX/RX Error" only showed up after I was able to get the transmitter turned on...which required installation of an older version of software as the "Activate Transmitter" feature had been removed from later software versions - then upgrading to the latest required software.

All of the other attached equipment in my environment appears to be working properly and communicating with the ADS600B -13 unit.

I can offer my environment to help test other folks units that are having technical issues. I would also request that others make available their working environment to test our non-working equipment in as well as known-good equipment for testing in our environment. Since we have some time before the 2020 mandate and don't know the NavWorx ongoing support status - this is most likely our best solution...aside from abandoning the NavWorx hardware and repurchasing an alternate solution.

Thanks for your collective consideration,

I'm very late to seeing this. I sold and installed a few of these, all seem to working fine. I still have some parts. With that, what "unit" is displaying the error?

I'm very late to seeing this. I sold and installed a few of these, all seem to working fine. I still have some parts. With that, what "unit" is displaying the error?
That was from my original post - mine works fine except for the missing features promised in the SW Upgrade prior to NavWorx going under.....

Lesson recently learned related to the SL-70 interfacing to ADS-B devices.

During the installation/swapover from my NavWorx box to a (supported) FreeFlight, I learned a few things...

The NavWorx does not support a SL-70 with software level greater than 1.3. I have a 1.3 and 1.4 units - neither work with my NavWorx. If someone has success with a 1.2 let us know.
The FreeFlight will not work with a SL-70 with a software level of 1.1. The manual states something to the effect of "No specific SW level required" but that has been shown to be incorrect during my transition.

Sorry to hear that Ralph. Are you going to have to ditch the SL30 if 1.2 isnt available?

I got my traffic working good on the GRT HXr now. Had to have a few pings w GRT to get it straight, but super happy. Man theres a lot of traffic out there, I had no idea. Had to do a 30 sec deviation for a Cherokee blazing across my path yesterday. We would have been smoking holes if it werent for the fixes I got in.....

Sorry to hear that Ralph. Are you going to have to ditch the SL30 if 1.2 isnt available?

I got my traffic working good on the GRT HXr now. Had to have a few pings w GRT to get it straight, but super happy. Man theres a lot of traffic out there, I had no idea. Had to do a 30 sec deviation for a Cherokee blazing across my path yesterday. We would have been smoking holes if it werent for the fixes I got in.....
I got the FreeFlight working with my SL-70 using my 1.3 SW version - so I have a working solution. The 1.1 works with my NavWorx and the 1.3 works with my FreeFlight.

First flight with the new FreeFlight ADS-B unit...
Successful - clean PAPR...even the NACv wasn't yellow.

Will probably start or join another thread for the new device!

I have the WI-FI option on my Navworx unit and my ForeFlight works fine with it for ADSB Traffic and weather. If there is any interest I might have 1spare Navworx WI-FI add on unit laying around?

Tron

Hi Tron, How did you get the Wifi working? I'm about to connect an ADS600-B to a GMX200 (422) for traffic. I have the Navwork WiFi dongle wired to port 2 and it does not work, apparently port 2 WiFi has never worked.

Back