What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do I import an unfinished kit from canada

whirlpool

Well Known Member
Need info on importing rv8 finished wings, fuse, tail kit from Ontario. Taxes due? Fees leaving Canada? Duty? How does it work, who to call at customs?anyone with experience? Post here or give me a call -Ed 479-629-1986. I would like to go to Detroit, drive to Ontario, load in my enclosed trailer, return to Detroit and on to Tulsa. Thanks!!

I did this for a wing kit and it was easy. I called ahead to the border crossing to confirm any paperwork. They just wanted to see a bill of sale. There were no fees or taxes, just some paperwork that I filled out on the spot with the CBP agent.

They suggested I not make things complicated and just list them as airplane parts... which they are :)

Aviation parts can cross the border between US and Canada duty free. Just have the bill of sale that proves they are aviation parts for the border agent.

u also have to have bill of sale from owner to you. his info on your b/s must match the info of his b/s from vans. his name address etc. your good to go.

To be clear

So, I need a bill of sale from vans to the present owner and another bill of sale to me. To be clear -is this the process for coming in from Canada to the U.S.?
Any reason to go to one port or another?
Thanks again!

Airplane Parts

I did this a few years back. If they ask make sure you say "airplane parts".

Not hard

Just did this in November.
I rented a Ryder truck in CT where I live. Be sure to tell them you're going to Canada, slightly different insurance. I called Customs at my intended crossing, but in the end used FedEx customs brokerage to get paperwork right; cost about $180. Understand that both countries are nervous about lone men driving rental trucks across the border, so you need to document the vehicle and all people who will go into Canada as well as the vehicle, driver and passengers AND the contents coming back into the U.S. The peace of mind knowing that everything was correct and already in the hands of the Customs Inspectirs when you drove up was priceless.
Yes, you're bringing "airplane parts", but I went with "partially completed, never finished, never flown aircraft kit" also, remember, the kit originated in the US, you're not importing a Canadian product.
Just have copies of everything: Bill of sale, your passport, insurance on truck, all customs documents and it was easy. The actual crossing into the U.S. was funny: they made me open up the truck, but really they were just curious! "So, is this a prop plant?" "Yes" "Is it for one or two people?" "two, hey you just want to jump up there and take a look?" "No, we're fine, but where does the wing go?"
Just like building the plane: it's all in the prep work.

also make sure no one in your group has had a felon, or dwi. they will escourt you back to the us. that is if they check them. my driver went to canada and took his daughter, they ran drivers licenses and found she had had a dwi 25 years ago!!!! and sent them back to the US. make real sure your vehicles are 100% legal. oh!!!! no firearms!! big no no!!

Oh, yea, one other thing

We crossed at the east end of Lake Ontario and wanted to ask the U.S. Customs people a question before we left. Turns out (at least where we crossed) that you don't really ever check out of the U.S., you just suddenly enter Canada. The same coming south: it was unclear when we left Canada, we just drove up to US Customs. So, if you have any questions or uncertainties, make a phone call or email in advance. The only official you'll encounter is one from the country you're entering.

Any other thoughts?

Anyone out there know someone to pick up kit and bring to US from 60 miles north of Buffalo? Cost?

Back