What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Storage in wing tips

tips

It would probably be best to send him a PM. Beautiful Doll may be good search criteria to help find his contact information. I'm sure Danny will be happy to share this information with you. I think he keeps oil, funnels, rags, etc. in his wingtips.

A builder of an -8 in the VansCave is putting access panels in the wing tips for storage ofhis golf clubs in the wings (tubes spanwise with Velcro to hold clubs in place). Access panesl held on with 1/4 turn fastners.

Do not have contact info but Doug R would know.

I planned to do this with mine, but never got to it. The last 9 mos of construction I put a freeze on mods due to scope creep. I had to get her done. Now that they are painted, I can't bring myself to alter them. Some day I'll get to it.

A builder of an -8 in the VansCave is putting access panels in the wing tips for storage ofhis golf clubs in the wings (tubes spanwise with Velcro to hold clubs in place). Access panesl held on with 1/4 turn fastners.

Do not have contact info but Doug R would know.

I'm not sure I would do that. Those wing tip skins are part of the box structure that make our wings so strong. Cutting the leading edges may not be such a good idea.

Note, the landing light holes many of us cut are way out in the last bay where there is very little stress.

Wingtip storage photo

Here is a photo of one on a RV-8:

in71wi.jpg

Lots 'o space...

I just received my slow-build wing kit today. those wing tips sure are big! Lots 'o space for whatever you want to do...

Wingtip storage lockers.

I built storage lockers in both wingtips of Grezdlitn about ten years ago. They will hold a lot of stuff. I carry my tiedowns, canopy cover, spare qt. oil and cleaning supplies. Works to perfection. Not waterproof but non of this stuff would be hurt by a little moisture.

Back