What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mattituck TMX IO-540 Question

sslayback

Would anyone have any specific details on a 2008 TMX IO-540 from Mattituck?

Since they have dissolved the build records have disappeared according to Teledyne Continental.

Just wondering what would be the most similiar configuration of it to a standard build IO-540-????

Thanks.

What information are you looking for? I have one, but it has been top overhauled with Millenium cylinders and pistons. I have some of the original Mattituck documentation that I got when I bought it from the original owner.

P.S. this one was originally built in 2009.

Hello 1001001,

I guess I have two questions you may be able to help with.

Is there anything from Mattituck that states what the closest build of an IO-540 could be?

It's their Experimental TMXIO-540 but is there a close comparable to all of the versions of the certificated Lycoming IO-540? Maybe Mattituck has something buried in the original build sheet.

Secondly, are you aware of any ADs on the case or lower end?

I guess I'm in the dark on camshaft and crankshaft part numbers for now.

Too bad they didn't make the records available.

Last edited:
Hello 1001001,

Is there anything from Mattituck that states what the closest build of an IO-540 could be?

It's their Experimental TMXIO-540 but is there a close comparable to all of the versions of the certificated Lycoming IO-540? Maybe Mattituck has something buried in the original build sheet.

Secondly, are you of any ADs on the case or lower end?

Check your cylinders to see if they are the AD category ECI cylinders.

At least thats one major AD that doesn't apply.

Well technically speaking, a “TMX” engine is Experimental, it has no TCDS, so it isn’t really possible to have an AD against it. Now there could be AD’s against an extremely similar engine, and those would be good to look at - but if we are cutting regulatory language razor thin, you won’t find any AD’s against the engine.

As pointed out above - Mahlon is probably your best source of info.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I am just trying to see which build it would compare to and, while of course ADs don't apply, I certainly would like to be aware of any defects that parts may have.

Last edited:
Well technically speaking, a “TMX” engine is Experimental, it has no TCDS, so it isn’t really possible to have an AD against it. Now there could be AD’s against an extremely similar engine, and those would be good to look at - but if we are cutting regulatory language razor thin, you won’t find any AD’s against the engine.

As pointed out above - Mahlon is probably your best source of info.

Paul

True,,,it’s experimental so no AD’s apply. But you certainly don’t want those cylinders effected by the AD on your EXP engine.

Hello 1001001,

Secondly, are you aware of any ADs on the case or lower end?

As far as a close certificated build, I think all of the TMX-IO-540 are potentially customized to the buyer's spec. As noted above, they wouldn't be built to conform with a type certificate.

The original document from Mattituck contains an AD list that was complied with as of the construction of this engine. If you have the original log that was provided to the buyer by Mattituck, I would think you'd have that list as well. It also contains an initial log entry (on a sticker with Mattituck letterhead/logo) that "All FAA AD notes applicable to the engine as a whole, the accessories supplied with the engine or any parts or components used in the assembly of the engine have been complied with todate. A list of AD note status is attached at the rear of this Logbook."

Did Teledyne say that they have no records at all from Mattituck? If you have a work order number for the engine construction, perhaps they would be able to look that up? The initial log entry in my logbook states a work order number.

Thanks.

Unfortunately I may not have any of the Mattituck documents.

And Teledyne said the records are not available.

Not a great situation but it has been topped at least.

Here's a list of the ADs listed in the original Mattituck docs as being related to MY engine. This is likely not complete, nor possibly even applicable to YOUR engine, but it might be a starting point for your searches. Most of them are listed as not applicable to my engine due to not having those parts, or S/Ns not within the AD range.

PLEASE make sure you follow up on your own individual items.

Hope this helps:

75-08-09
78-23-08
87-10-06 R1
91-08-07
92-12-05
93-11-11
94-01-03 R2
94-06-09
95-07-01
95-26-02
96-09-10
96-23-03
97-01-04
97-15-11
98-17-11
99-04-04
2002-12-07
2002-19-03
2003-14-03
2004-05-24
2004-10-14
2005-12-06
2005-19-11
2006-10-21
2006-12-07
2006-20-09
2007-04-19
2008-14-07
2008-19-05
2009-02-03

Here's a list of the ADs listed in the original Mattituck docs as being related to MY engine. This is likely not complete, nor possibly even applicable to YOUR engine, but it might be a starting point for your searches. Most of them are listed as not applicable to my engine due to not having those parts, or S/Ns not within the AD range.

PLEASE make sure you follow up on your own individual items.

Hope this helps:

75-08-09
78-23-08
87-10-06 R1
91-08-07
92-12-05
93-11-11
94-01-03 R2
94-06-09
95-07-01
95-26-02
96-09-10
96-23-03
97-01-04
97-15-11
98-17-11
99-04-04
2002-12-07
2002-19-03
2003-14-03
2004-05-24
2004-10-14
2005-12-06
2005-19-11
2006-10-21
2006-12-07
2006-20-09
2007-04-19
2008-14-07
2008-19-05
2009-02-03

Thanks ....

Like you said though, it's a shot in the dark and I suppose theres no way of knowing whats in the the lower end of this engine.
But your info is something I can at least familiarize myself with.

What a disappointment for an organization like Teledyne Continental to really do a dis-service to Mattituck customers.

Your engine was a 2009? You hadn't discovered any newer ADs?

Last edited:
I completely agree.

I got one of the last 540s before Mattituck shut down. After the transition, I sent an email to the head of the shop that built my engine asking more specifics, was told “no records were kept”. He did give me what was considered the equivalent lycoming model number, but that was it.

Who does that?? Was really surprised given mattituck reputation that there wouldn’t have been a provision for preservation of build information.

Phil
Bountiful, UT (KBTF)
RV10

Thanks ....
What a disappointment for an organization like Teledyne Continental to really do a dis-service to Mattituck customers.

Your engine was a 2009? You hadn't discovered any newer ADs?

Totally agree it is a disappointment that they didn't retain any build records of these engines.

By the engine logs, mine was manufactured in May of 2009. I purchased the engine used from a member here several years ago. It is not mounted on the airframe yet; it's sitting preserved on a pallet waiting for the happy day when I get to the FF installation. At some time prior to that, I'll go through a thorough AD check for new ones and ensure the recurring ones are up to date.

I completely agree.

I got one of the last 540s before Mattituck shut down. After the transition, I sent an email to the head of the shop that built my engine asking more specifics, was told “no records were kept”. He did give me what was considered the equivalent lycoming model number, but that was it.

Who does that?? Was really surprised given mattituck reputation that there wouldn’t have been a provision for preservation of build information.

Phil
Bountiful, UT (KBTF)
RV10

What equivalent model number did they give you Phil?

That would have been helpful, huh😂

This was the email I got from the head of the shop:

Thank you for your email regarding your inquiry on the TMXIO-540 engine built by Mattituck.
I regret we no longer have the records available on any of these engines. I can determine by the serial number that
your engine was a Lycoming part engine, and can tell you with about 99% accuracy that if the engine is a fuel injected engine
with Parallel valves cylinders, that it is a 260 HP engine that would be equivalent to an IO540D4A5.

Phil

As a personal friend of Parker and Jay Wickham that founded and operated Mattituck for over 50 years, Parker must be rolling over in his grave with the family business transition to TCM and later the Chinese AVIC :(

Your engine equivalent would be an IO-540-D4A5.
All of our records were electronically stored. We are talking thousands of work orders over like 20 plus years. All of our systems were electronically linked to Mobile over the company Intranet. The records were backed up daily on a two week schedule on multiple servers and a tape system. tapes being stored off premises. As off the day we closed, all records, TMX series engines, overhauls and repairs were intact and CM had access to all of them. While I can believe that the hard copy of the records might not be available, I don't think it would be possible to loose or destroy those electronic records with out the loosing everything on their system. So maybe lazy? or don't understand what they are looking at or don't know how to use the program they were stored with? Don't know.
It was a very easy system to access. A simple s/n query would bring up the S/N's record in Laser fiche and viola all of the pages of the work order were viewable and printable. Easy to print the AD list
Kinda sad they couldn't help you.
Anyway hope this brings some understanding to the situation...
Good Luck,
Mahlon

Back