What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airport/FBO near Leander, TX

WyoDave

Well Known Member
My wife and I will be flying into the Austin area on Monday, 4/4. The plan is to rent a car and wander around several days in search of wild flowers, eat BBQ, and possibly take a look at a Bearhawk and Patrol. My bro-n-law lives outside of Leander, so I was thinking I would fly into Georgetown (GTU), and spend the first night there. Any suggestions of the best FBO, or if there is a better place to fly into, as long as it is reasonably close? Or any other advice is appreciated:cool:

I'm based at Lago Vista (KRYW) and live in Leander. There are no rental car agencies there, but Enterpise might be willing to drive a car out to get you, or your brother in law can take you to a Hertz Local Edition office in Cedar Park. The only service at the airport is self-service gas and there is a mechanic on the field. Having your own ropes could help.

Georgetown is not a bad choice either. It is a towered field and has more activity than KRYW. It is just a little bit farther away. Those two airports are your best bet for Leander.

There's a famous BBQ in Llano (KAQO) - Cooper's BBQ. They have a couple of courtesy cars at the airport and the BBQ place is just a couple of miles away. The airport is only a few minutes from KRYW. if you're coming from WY, maybe you'd like to stop at KSEP in Stephenville. I like the brisket there better than at Cooper's. It is about 100 nm north of KRYW, just west of Dallas/Ft. Worth. Lockhart has three BBQ places.

Have a great trip!

Welcome to central Texas, the windflowers are still at their peak. Georgetown would be your best bet, it's about 15 miles east of Leander.

The city has transient tie downs and there is a large FBO, GTU Jet, on the East side of the airport, each can arrange a rental car if you need one or you can be picked up by your relatives.

There are a number of good BBQ joints in the area, I'm sure your brother-in-law will have his favorite. And the TexMex is also very good in this area.

Hopefully, you can set up a meeting with Mark Goldberg to talk about the Bearhawk...

Back