What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help us test our new web store

greghughespdx

Well Known Member
Advertiser
We all know that the current Van's Aircraft online store is - well - let's just call it lacking. :) We've been working on a complete store replacement and are getting close to go-live planning.

While there are still a few features to complete and a list of bugs/issues to eradicate, the end of the project is in sight.

Anyone who is interested in participating in our formal testing effort is welcome to send me an email ([email protected]) to let me know. We have a handful of customers who have already tested (and are continuing to do so) and would welcome a few more as we continue to make changes and as we get closer to our initial release.

So - if you're interested in setting aside some time for testing and providing feedback, please let me know! I only ask that those who volunteer be willing to actively use the site and provide the feedback we need to make this project successful in the end (so there's some commitment and it's not a general access invitation for people who are merely curious - that phase will come later). For those who help us reach the finish line, I'll be sure to send some form of "thank you" gift when all is said and done, of course!

greg

A few sneak peak shots...

I'll post a few screen grabs for fun. Click to enlarge.

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 11.46.05 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 11.47.04 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 11.48.44 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 11.48.23 AM.png

I can't commit the time right now to actively test it, but the screen shots show a lot of improvement and work. Love how you are showing photos of things that heretofore were only on "the list". Looks like it will be awesome!

I can't commit the time right now to actively test it, but the screen shots show a lot of improvement and work. Love how you are showing photos of things that heretofore were only on "the list". Looks like it will be awesome!

Pretty much everything on The List (and then some) will be searchable in the new store. And a lot of it will be orderable online. Some items we classify as Call to Order only, and a few other items will require the customer be logged in and have an account with the appropriate aircraft model associated.

shopping cart

Congrats, great work!

I'm sure it's there, but just to confirm - can I shop over a period of days/weeks/months and then pull the trigger when I feel I've got a decent amount of stuff to ship?

Congrats, great work!

I'm sure it's there, but just to confirm - can I shop over a period of days/weeks/months and then pull the trigger when I feel I've got a decent amount of stuff to ship?

Kind of like this?

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 1.29.59 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 1.29.39 PM.jpg

There's a little "star" icon on every store item that allows you to add to the "wish" list. Both the icon usability and the name of the list need to be changed still (that's all on the list of stuff we're working on), but the functionality is there for sure. Your "wish" list items are saved in your account, so they are always there when you come back and sign in, until you remove them or purchase them.

Last edited:
Greg,

Just a comment on the adding items on an incremental basis. I often use this feature at ACS. As I find something I need I add it to my order. When I get to the point that the order is large enough or I have to have a part now then I place the order. Its very helpful. I could see the benefit for Vans having a similar arrangement.

Now I keep a running list of items from Vans on a note page on my phone. I tend to jump around when I get blocked by not having a part. Sometimes those diversions last a while and I even forget I needed something. I have even placed orders only a few days later realizing I forgot to order something else I needed. The Vans list would really help that.

As someone who vastly prefers talking to a human, and avoids online ordering like the plague, I must say this looks like you are covering all the bases quite well.

Greg,

Just a comment on the adding items on an incremental basis. I often use this feature at ACS. As I find something I need I add it to my order. When I get to the point that the order is large enough or I have to have a part now then I place the order. Its very helpful. I could see the benefit for Vans having a similar arrangement.

Now I keep a running list of items from Vans on a note page on my phone. I tend to jump around when I get blocked by not having a part. Sometimes those diversions last a while and I even forget I needed something. I have even placed orders only a few days later realizing I forgot to order something else I needed. The Vans list would really help that.

Yep. Commonly mentioned capability that was a first-class item on our must-have list. That feature is already completed and working!

Greg, I am so sad. The skill built up to be able to find just the right part in "the list" are now so sadly not needed and anyone can do it easily. Well I guess it is like the skills of using steam tables or finding e to the x.

Great for all the new customers though . . . . :(

Seriously - - another welcome and useful improvement from the Vans Team!

Greg, I'd be glad to assist with testing the new store. I'm still in the early stages of my build, and I tend to browse & use the current store quite often. Like some of the other folks here, I've been hoping for many of the features you are planning to introduce, so I'm definitely interested in testing them out!

It looks like I would be able to zero in on a specific part for a specific airplane.

That is key in my opinion: If I want such and such part for the RV-8 I don't want to have to wade through RV-3 through 14 parts to find it.

Looks good.

Sign me up!!

Sign me up Greg! Just popped you a mail as well. I've got a lot of actual online U/I interface design experience (Hopefully that'll come in handy. ;)) From your screenshots, I've already seen a few basic improvements that can be made.

Martin
BTW - I got an RV-7. So I'm already a happy customer. A good, usable webstore will just be the cherry on top!

It looks like I would be able to zero in on a specific part for a specific airplane.

That is key in my opinion: If I want such and such part for the RV-8 I don't want to have to wade through RV-3 through 14 parts to find it.

Looks good.

You'll actually be able to browse and filter on those parts and hardware items that are included in the now-current bill of materials for any RV model, as well as the sub-kits (tail, wing, fuselage, finishing, etc.). With drawings and/or photos of the parts/hardware.

Last edited:
We've had a large number of people volunteer already, and we really appreciate the enthusiasm and willingness to get involved! We have closed out the list for now just to keep it manageable.

We'll open it up the testing process again for more people as we make more progress, and we will announce that here when the time comes, of course.

greg

Last edited:
Back