What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview swap to Skyview HDX

funflying

Well Known Member
I have a Skyview Classic that is going back to Dynon for the second time since new and not under warranty. I’m considering an HDX upgrade and the Dynon sight said the HDX is a direct swap for the Classic or Touch but I wanted to know from someone who had actually done it. Is it actually a plug and play swap with my other Dynon components, transponder, EMS, ADHRS, and AP.

If someone else has done this let me know how it went. Thanks

I read somewhere that the hole is a slightly different size and a filler is required to fill the gap. I had entertained the ideas myself but didn’t want it to cut new dash panels, ...... and the $8k was a factor.

Patrick,
I did exactly that last year. The screen will fit into the same square hole and the top screw holes will align, but not the lower holes. You WILL need to drill/rivet/install new plate nuts for the HDX's two lower mounting screws. That will leave a ~2" gap beneath the screen. You typically can't see that gap because it's under that angled 'button shelf', which blocks your view of the gap...but the gap is there. Dynon sells a filler plate for that gap that screws directly into the old original lower screw holes.

Next, take pictures of EVERY setup/configuration page, then download the config/settings files from your two screens onto an USB stick. You'll be able to upload those files from the USB to your new HDX screens, but having the photos of every setup page allowed me to check how accurately it all loaded.

Once that was all done and I turned on the screens, we were out the gate almost full up. You will need to spend time reformatting/reediting your screen layouts for the simple fact that they are different from the screens on the classic SkyView. Take a look at others' HDX screen layouts and pick a format you like. If you want, I can email you photos of my screens.

You're gonna LOVE the HDX.

I read somewhere that the hole is a slightly different size and a filler is required to fill the gap. I had entertained the ideas myself but didn’t want it to cut new dash panels, ...... and the $8k was a factor.

There is absolutely no need to cut new panels.

The hole is the same size laterally, but shorter vertically. The HDX will fit into that hole, and the top pair of mounting screws do line up with the existing screw holes and plate nuts.

However, the bottom pair of HDX screw holes indeed do not line up. You'll have to install a new pair of plate nuts to accommodate HDX's bottom pair of screw holes. This does indeed leave a gap. If you feel the need to fill it, order the filler plates from Dynon: They mount using the original lower pair of screws.

I totally understand there is a “fix”. I have a Garmin 696 on the right side so there really isn’t an option other than a new panel for that side. If I am doing that I might as well make a new left then it looks OEM.

My answer to funflying was in response to “is it a direct fit”, I took it literally.

Thanks for all the great feedback. Very helpful and reassuring it wouldn’t be a big deal to change.

As a side note my Dynon didn’t fail but I’ve been experiencing a fluttering in the background of the map and PDF. It’s more annoying and doesn’t make it unusable but after several consults with Dynon support, and even sending them a video of the fluttering, the recommendation was to send it in for the &450 service. The unit is now 8 years old and in the technology world that’s pretty old. So when my wife supports an upgrade I think it an opportunity to move forward.

Back