What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Position of throttle lever

magiccarpet

Well Known Member
Patron
This might look like a dumb question for the -12 carb. drivers, but I wonder at what position
you set your throttle lever after a flight and why.
Do you push forward (e.g to release carb. spring force) or pull to idle (e.g closing throttle valve).
Is there a best practice on that or is it simply don‘t care?

I leave throttled at full idle shutoff. Best to leave throttle plate in closed position to limit free flow of air (read moisture) into any open cylinders.

Generally push mine to full in order to release the stress on the safety springs. Somewhere in the past that was recommended to me and I've been doing it that way for years.

I push throttle, prop, and mixture all the way in as last step in the checklist so that I don't snag them levering myself up and out of the cockpit, or entering it for the next flight. I guess I never thought about the springs thing. I don't worry about open for moisture (it's fuel injected anyway) since I put the thing on a dehydrator as soon as I chock the wheels in the hangar.

Actually, the crankcase on the 9-series engine is sealed from the atmosphere by the oil tank. Standing oil in return and supply lines block air flow to the crankcase. The oil tank has a vent to atmosphere. So, as long as engine was shut off at a normal running temp and moisture in the oil has been flashed off, the crankcase will stay at low humidity level.

Very good chance, however, that either intake or exhaust valve is partially open. Can’t do much with exhaust except maybe plug the muffler pipe, but you can help with the intake by closing the throttle plate.

MacCool, you mentioned a dehydrator. I'm down in the humid south and that's something I've been thinking about for the future (i.e. when the plane is built!). Can you give me some more details of your setup? Things you would change/improve?

Any info would be much appreciated...

I'm curious about this. Crankcase is sealed to atmosphere so I don't see how you can vent it with a dehydrator.. No vent fittings for connection.

Back