Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2020, 01:50 PM

Default Getting boxes off the truck...

To All,
My apologies if this is the wrong forum or threads already exist on this topic (my searching didn't turn up much). My question is regarding unloading the crates from Van's. My understanding is that they say you (the receiver) are responsible for getting them off the truck and into your garage (hangar, teepee, etc.). For the shippers you have used, is this really true? I.e. do these things really arrive on a truck with no lift gate and no pallet jack? I don't usually have a lot of extra help around my place so my plan (hope?) is to get a number of furniture dollies from Harbor Freight and if I can get the guy to get them off the truck on onto the dollies (with his lift gate and pallet jack) then I can roll them up the driveway into the garage.

How realistic is this?

When your crates arrived what did it take to get them from the truck to your building area?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

-Bruce
Old 01-27-2020, 01:58 PM

Both Fedex (wings) and Dominion (fuselage) had lift gate trucks and a trolley we used to get the boxes into my garage. Just make sure that you request lift gate service with your order.

Aitor
Old 01-27-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbarnes10 View Post
my plan (hope?) is to get a number of furniture dollies from Harbor Freight and if I can get the guy to get them off the truck on onto the dollies (with his lift gate and pallet jack) then I can roll them up the driveway into the garage.
No lift gate on the truck that delivered my heaviest crate. RV-7 330 lbs. https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-cont...ts-dec2018.pdf.

We (mostly me) just slid one end off the back and set it on a HF furniture dolly. Then hand lowered the end still on the truck to another dolly and I rolled up the driveway to the garage. Much less of an issue than expected.
RV-12iS - All kits ordered!
VAF on Annual Autopay
Old 01-27-2020, 02:27 PM

As long as Van?s sets it up as residential delivery with lift gate service, there is no reason that you?d have to unload anything. Every time I?ve received a crate, they?ve actually rolled it into my garage.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:33 PM

I've only taken one delivery at home, and that was the wing kit. As I recall, there was a liftgate even though I didn't request or anticipate one. A couple friends and I used a furniture dolly to get the crates down the driveway and into the garage. The driver was certainly helpful.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:38 PM

When my fuse kit showed up and I was the only one at home, I looked at the driver and pointed at the garage and said "20 bucks and a cold beer for a minutes work..." He just laughed, and started putting on his gloves. It was all we wanted for just 2 of us, but we got it done.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:12 PM

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys!

Sounds like this shouldn't be too much of a problem but I'll make sure to request a residential delivery with a lift gate. My father and I are building an RV-12 and the plan is to start ordering kits in the next few months with a "first rivet" date in late June / early July so we're trying to get all the details worked out.

Much appreciated....

Bruce
Old 01-27-2020, 03:21 PM

If you have a pickup truck, it goes pretty easy. Those low 4 wheel dollys from HF help move it around or even a piece of 3" PVC can make it roll pretty easy.
Flying N376E
Old 01-27-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrynew View Post
No lift gate on the truck that delivered my heaviest crate. .....

We (mostly me) just slid one end off the back and set it on a HF furniture dolly. Then hand lowered the end still on the truck to another dolly and I rolled up the driveway to the garage. Much less of an issue than expected.
Exactly what we did. RV-8 slow-build fuselage crate. No problems!
Old 01-27-2020, 04:45 PM

Default Moving dolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwoodrv9 View Post
If you have a pickup truck, it goes pretty easy. Those low 4 wheel dollys from HF help move it around or even a piece of 3" PVC can make it roll pretty easy.
That's how I did as well.
I hauled the last mile for every crate. Once with a U-haul and once my Mentor helped with his truck. Several HF piano dollies and a good standard dolly. Use the two wheeler to lift the downhill end. Slide in a couple piano dollies and strap them down. Use the two wheeler to lift the uphill end and to stear. Sweetie and I did it no problem.
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.