What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gust locks: ideas

For the rudder, I use a bent pin that fits simultaneously in drilled holes in the rudder stop and rudder horn on one side. I have a "remove B4 flight" banner tied to this. A couple of loops of the banner/cord around the pin and rudder cable and the pin can't come out.

For the ailerons and elevator, I use a bent rod which hooks into two drilled holes on the bottom edge of the IP (can't be seen). The rod forms a "v" with a radiused apex which fits around the control stick. I tie the pax seat belt over the top and pull tight and the controls are then locked in neutral position.

Sorry, but I don't have pictures. Can see at Oshkosh if you wish.

Terry

I used exactly what Terry recommends. The only thing I have to add is that the pin for the rudder lock should be made from stiff music wire so that it does not work loose.

The control lock/seatbelt trick is almost zero weight and impossible to overlook when you get inside.

Vern

True gust locks should lock the control surface at the surface to prevent working on cable and rod ends. My gust lock package for ailerons, rudder and elevators weighs about 4 oz.

rv6ejguy said:
True gust locks should lock the control surface at the surface to prevent working on cable and rod ends. My gust lock package for ailerons, rudder and elevators weighs about 4 oz.

Exactly my feelings on this. I worked as lineboy for several years a while back
;) and I saw what gusting winds do to linkages. For me, I want what will prevent that slapping & banging of linkage/cables, etc.

Fair enough but......

For the occasional caught outside situation, wouldn't the seatbelt around the stick be sufficient ?

If the plane is tied down that's one thing. But I would probably lose the gust locks somewhere in the hangar and if not, I would forget to bring them the one time I did need them....

John

Seat Belts

I only use seat belts around the control stick for gust locks. Provides the required protection and as a safety benefit, you certainly will not take-off with these gust locks installed.

John Balbierer
Seneca Falls, NY
RV-6, N30JB

Finger Lakes RVer said:
I only use seat belts around the control stick for gust locks. Provides the required protection and as a safety benefit, you certainly will not take-off with these gust locks installed.

John Balbierer
Seneca Falls, NY
RV-6, N30JB
As bizarre as it seems, It HAS happened. Back in the '70s a guy took off in a Cessna 170 with the seatbelt tied around the yoke. BELIEVE IT OR NOT!

Mel:
Wasn't there a more recent one that involved an RV at a fly-in? As I recall, witnesses saw the plane take off and assume a high angle of attack until it stalled and crashed. EAA was named in the suit because additional fire protection wasn't contracted for the event (pilot survived the crash but died trapped inside the A/C). A substantial judgement was entered against EAA.

By the way, just tying the stick off won't prevent the rudder from banging in a trike unless rudder springs have been installed.
Terry

32506018un8.jpg

I just use the rear seatbelt, but this photos is a friend's solution....neat installation.

I'll also reinforce what's been said about taking off with the controls locked. A friend aborted his takoff at 30 or 40 kts because the right seatbelt was still locked around the stick. Once, I caught it in my 4 during taxi out when I did my control check.

Dave, that is one neat installation-- for the elevator & ailerons, but what does he do for the rudder?

I am still considering all options and am thankful for the input.

Jim

Because people are human, and humans are not perfect!
It can and does happen.
BTW, If the gust lock is in the back seat, I would make sure that the "remove before flight" ribbon goes to somewhere obvious in the front seat.

There are those that have and...

I use the rear seat-belt trick on my RV4 and have for 15 years. Anyone who misses seeing the back seat belt tied around the stick, still starts up and taxis out and doesn't do a control check before takeoff, to quote the Red Baron: deserves the fate buffoonery has to offer.
The rudder is the only control surface that bangs around in the wind with the others tied up. Tie your tailwheel down with the rope around the steering horn a couple of times. The the springs and cables help keep the rudder from banging.
My Dos Centavos...

RR

90206074oy9.jpg

90206075ux5.jpg

90206020eu8.jpg

90206074sr0.jpg

I've been meaning to "Japanese Engineer" these for my plane on of these days.

I took these picts at Homecoming 9/06. thx to plane owners
90206075zn9.jpg

90206074tr5.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
I saw this gust lock at Oshkosh a few days ago on a 4. Ailerons were solidly in neutral. He had a chord going to the front stick just a heads up. As an added bonus, this is my rudder lock. Two longer an bolts welded to two shorter ones.

Attachments

• controllock.jpg
    controllock.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 170
  • rudderstop.jpg
    rudderstop.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 202
I've had a lot of people tell me the rudder lock pin approach failed when needed most. There is a large lever arm to break to break/bend the pin.

This is simple and takes advantage of the lever arm.

Carl
Rudder-lock.jpg

I've had a lot of people tell me the rudder lock pin approach failed when needed most. There is a large lever arm to break to break/bend the pin.

Carl
Rudder-lock.jpg

Looks like an awful lot of stress on that rather fragile trailing edge if you ask me.

Best Gust Lock EVER...

Simple, lightweight and multipurpose...

Wedge in between wingtip and aileron, counterbalance and stabilizer tips.

Courtesy of TAC Air - FSM...

Attachments

• IMG_2576.jpg
    IMG_2576.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 95
Mel:
Wasn't there a more recent one that involved an RV at a fly-in? As I recall, witnesses saw the plane take off and assume a high angle of attack until it stalled and crashed. EAA was named in the suit because additional fire protection wasn't contracted for the event (pilot survived the crash but died trapped inside the A/C). A substantial judgement was entered against EAA.

By the way, just tying the stick off won't prevent the rudder from banging in a trike unless rudder springs have been installed.
Terry

Must not have had the Hooker harnesses. Those buckles can’t be missed if you sit on one😳

Carl

Yes it does Carl.

Steve Melton makes the "hardware" for these, and did all the stress calculations.

Back