What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil temps at altitude?

Michaelpk3

Well Known Member
I'm planning a flight to Oklahoma from Florida. Looks like at altitude I'm going to be running around 0 degrees C. I'm running aeroshell 100 plus but I have access to a heated hanger and have oil sump heaters. What kind of oil temp would I expect at straight and level flight -4C to +2C range? I have a standard 7 row oil cooler from Vans. I have some clear weather later this week.

On a recent flight from FL to NC at 15000', OAT was -2*C, and oil temp 181 at cruise (50% power). I run XC 20W-50, and am generally between 180-190 at cruise power depending on temp, power setting, and altitude.

FWIW, if you haven't spent much time flying in those temps, make sure you cockpit is well sealed. My cabin heat works very well, but I could feel every tiny little draft in the cabin, especially coming in from the doghouse area of the sliding canopy. I have resolved to seal it better.

Chris

Last edited:
I'm planning a flight to Oklahoma from Florida. Looks like at altitude I'm going to be running around 0 degrees C. I'm running aeroshell 100 plus but I have access to a heated hanger and have oil sump heaters. What kind of oil temp would I expect at straight and level flight -4C to +2C range? I have a standard 7 row oil cooler from Vans. I have some clear weather later this week.

This would depend wildly on what your OT's are at other OATs. Everyone's setup yields pretty different results.

My oil temps fall into the 140's at cruise with those outside temps. Getting up to 180 during the winter time is always a struggle, usually involves duct tape to restrict airflow.

My oil temps fall into the 140's at cruise with those outside temps. Getting up to 180 during the winter time is always a struggle, usually involves duct tape to restrict airflow.

Thanks! I'll bring a roll of duct tape and see how I do after the first leg of the flight.

I've been flying in New England and pretty much have your setup/oil in an -8. With the OAT 0 C +/- 5, I'm getting oil temps in the 150-160 range. Too cold, IMO. I just purchased one of the "vans" oil cooler shutters that is now sold by Anti Splat Aero. https://antisplataero.com/products/oil-cooler-air-shutter I've used them on other -8's and really like that you can dial your temp right into the desired level. Don't know how you could do that with tape and changing OAT's at different altitudes.

Brian

I have an adjustable shutter on my oil cooler. Even full closed / taped on the cooler I can't get enough heat, hence the black (color matched at least!) duct tape.

Down side to this is poor cooling on the ground that isn't adjustable. Keep an eye on temps if you find yourself in line for takeoff as they can creep up when you aren't moving. Otherwise, I went all last winter this way (as low as -5c on the ground while flying as high as 17,500 so quite cold) and it worked well.

I've been flying in New England and pretty much have your setup/oil in an -8. With the OAT 0 C +/- 5, I'm getting oil temps in the 150-160 range. Too cold, IMO. I just purchased one of the "vans" oil cooler shutters that is now sold by Anti Splat Aero. https://antisplataero.com/products/oil-cooler-air-shutter I've used them on other -8's and really like that you can dial your temp right into the desired level. Don't know how you could do that with tape and changing OAT's at different altitudes.

Brian

What engine do you have? Big difference between an IO-360 and a carbureted O-360.

On a recent flight from FL to NC at 15000', OAT was -2*C, and oil temp 181 at cruise (50% power). I run XC 20W-50, and am generally between 180-190 at cruise power depending on temp, power setting, and altitude.

FWIW, if you haven't spent much time flying in those temps, make sure you cockpit is well sealed. My cabin heat works very well, but I could feel every tiny little draft in the cabin, especially coming in from the doghouse area of the sliding canopy. I have resolved to seal it better.

Chris

I have the O-360 engine. The 7 row oil cooler wasn't enough cooling in the summer (added Antisplat cowl flaps to help) and now I'm facing the other side of that problem.

I have the O-360 engine. The 7 row oil cooler wasn't enough cooling in the summer (added Antisplat cowl flaps to help) and now I'm facing the other side of that problem.

Interesting. With my O-360 I've always run cool even here in Texas whereas most of the IO-360 guys tend to run hot especially in climb.

During the hottest part of summer I'll get slightly above 180 degrees on the oil (but have never seen 190), and during winter will run around 165-170. At altitude (10K and below) full throttle level flight, I'll see 175 plus or minus a few degrees. I use the standard Vans oil cooler.

My Lyc tech adviser says cool is good and since I change oil every 25-30 hours, water in oil not an issue.

Chris

Back