What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder counterbalance

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Installing all the fiberglass fairings and on the elevator the plans ask for a 1/8" gap between the elevator counterbalance and the HS fairing. I see no mention of the gap dimension between the rudder counterbalance and the VS. With the rod end bearing installation dimensions on page 11-08 , figure 2, the top measurement is .803" and the bottom one is 1.050", I get only about 1/16" of clearance between the Rudder counterbalance and the VS.
I thought about extending the rod end bearings out two full turns (I think that would add .060")but the center bearing isn't long enough as the threaded portion is short as is (same bearing as top but extended out more). Thought about purchasing another MD3616M but this bearing is thicker (.500" verses .437") than the MD3614M used in the center .
Anyone have a clearance issue with their rudder?

Old Thread but Since its in the Wiki I am adding to it.

I did not have any issues with the gap on the rudder. I am wondering if the VS 909 Tip was not trimmed correctly?

See page 12-07, Step 1 --

This will provide a minimum 1/8 gap between the aft face of the vertical stabilizer tip fairing and the forward face of the rudder counterbalance arm.

Back