What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stratux ADSB-IN displayed on Garmin 660 or 560 via RS232

Pilot135pd

Well Known Member
Is there anyone out there displaying their Stratux ADS-B IN on their Garmin 660 or 560 that can give me some advice regarding baud rates, programming, pins connections, etc?

On another forum there was an old thread about someone feeding their Avidyne display with ADS-B IN info from the Stratux via rs232. Someone replied they were displaying the same info on the Garmin portables via rs232. The threads are very old so no further info but I'm sure someone here is doing it.

Looks like Tankerpilot and Edclee are doing something similar but you can see there are issues with Windows. I use a Mac but have an old Window 7 laptop I could use for this, with a little guidance.
I use the Stratux for Adsb in and power it through a usb plugged into my panel outlet. The Stratus also is hardwired to my two GRT EFIS’. Works great! Price was right.
Not mentioned is that the serial adapter sold on Amazon from the Stratux store https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7RNFRJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 must be configured to work properly and the switches on the the unit must be set correctly. In order to do this, the configuration program must be used. The adapter is installed in a USB port on your computer and if using Windows, it must be windows 10. Fine print on the Sillabs.com site points one in the right direction.

Go to: http://advanced-flight-systems.com/forum/threads/1489-Stratux-Serial-Output
and find instructions, but they only apply to windows 10 if you use windows.7 or older then you have to have other drivers other than the package mentioned in the post. You must download older drivers for the configuration program to run. I did that, configured the Amazon adapter properly and I now have ADSb going to my GRT EFIS at 115200 baud.

attachment.php

Ed

I have this cable for the 660 and I'm going to buy the Stratux Serial Adapter.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 9.53.39 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 9.53.39 AM.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 242
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 9.52.28 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 9.52.28 AM.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 236
Non-Garmin ADSB on AERA 660 0r 560

I'm pretty sure you will find that these units will only display ADSB data sent from a Garmin ADSB receiver. This ensures there is No ADSB interoperability between your Garmin systems and the rest of the avionics world.

I think, but not 100% sure, the Garmin Aera's are looking for Connext Format 1 data on the RS-232 input -- this is in addition to the Baud, Parity, etc.

I'm pretty sure you will find that these units will only display ADSB data sent from a Garmin ADSB receiver. This ensures there is No ADSB interoperability between your Garmin systems and the rest of the avionics world.

I think, but not 100% sure, the Garmin Aera's are looking for Connext Format 1 data on the RS-232 input -- this is in addition to the Baud, Parity, etc.

These are the things I've understood up to now BUT there are others who say they've done it and there are pictures. Of course pictures can be manipulated but then again why? One of those people seems to me very credible.

Either way that's the reason for this thread. There are more Vans enthusiasts around the world than Cessna so if they've done it, someone here must have done it too, I hope.

I'm on the Stratux Github repository as well. There is work being done on this, and there has been success in getting the Stratux to emulate a GDL39 and display traffic on the Aera 660. The code is "not ready for prime time". As I understand it, the primary developer has been able to capture the GDL90 stream from the Stratux, convert it to a GDL39 stream on his computer, and send the converted data to an Aera 660. I don't think it's been integrated so the Stratux can talk directly to the 660.

There was some investigation into using the Connext protocol as well, but Garmin has successfully obfuscated that interface so well that it's unlikely anyone will be willing to spend the time necessary to work out the connection.

Back