What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

West Coast Painters

agent4573

Well Known Member
Looking for a recommendation to get our RV painted. It's not flying yet, but we're hoping to get on a wait list for early next year. Located in the Bay Area, willing to travel most of the west coast for a good paint job. Thanks.

ArtCraft did a good job at a good price on my RV7a last summer. They did a lot of fiberglass finishing that would have taken me forever to do well. I did disassembly and reassembly. Plan on a date at drop off and two days at pickup.

They repeatedly slipped the completion date. I understand this has happened to many other customers. I would recommend some clause in your contract with an incentive to finish on time and a penalty for delay. Keep at least 40% of the fee due on delivery.

I had to inspect closely and ask for touch up in several places. It came out gorgeous in the end.

I would go with them again.

David

There's a shop in Salinas. I forget their name.

T&P Aero refinishers?

For the guys recommending art craft, any chance you can post pictures of the plane or any other details? How long did they have it, type of work done, and if your willing to share publicly or privately the cost that would be awesome.

I would not take my plane to arts and craft. My airplane was there for 2 months past the due date. There are a lot things to get touched up from the post paint inspection but I am afraid of taking it I and getting stuck. Also I sent my nose wheel pants in on January 4 of this year four a little bit of fiberglass and repaint to this date I have not got it back yet it’s been five months. So you make your decision this is my two cents

Saw several RVs painted at ArtCraft while building in SoCal. After moving to GA, flew mine back for them to paint it. On schedule and best price from FL to CA. Have received many compliments. Received an Outstanding Workmanship award at Sun n Fun 2019. They don’t give em out just for nice paint, but it helps. 600+ hours and 3 years and still satisfied. Good luck.

Cascade Custom Design - Bend, OR

https://ccdpaint.com/

Outstanding high quality professional work in a reasonable time frame!
I had my RV-7 painted there last November. I flew the plane in 'raw'. I disassembled it myself in their heated hangar. Did not have to remove the wings which saved a lot of time. Upon completion within 30 days, I returned and spent 2 days re-assembling the plane and flew it out.

Kudos to Stephan and crew!!

Kracon at KLHM did a really nice job on my wheel pants. I’ve seen David’s RV-9 and it looks great.

I’m pretty sure Bruce had his Cardinal painted there. It looks awesome.

http://kracon.com/

I have used T&P in Salinas, and Kracon twice. Two of the best paint jobs I have ever seen were from T&P and ArtCraft. Both of those planes looked like they were dipped in plastic, and one was an ordinary Cessna 172. T&P was very accommodating on my AirCam as I trailered pieces back and forth, and used some special paint on the fabric. I have heard good things about Corona Air Paint too.

I have used T&P in Salinas, and Kracon twice. Two of the best paint jobs I have ever seen were from T&P and ArtCraft. Both of those planes looked like they were dipped in plastic, and one was an ordinary Cessna 172. T&P was very accommodating on my AirCam as I trailered pieces back and forth, and used some special paint on the fabric. I have heard good things about Corona Air Paint too.

My plane is currently in-process at T&P. Prep is done and paint is going on this week. So far, the process has been going smoothly, though the shop has been struggling with manpower lately with covid and all. I'll post photos when complete.

Cascade Customs

I had Cascade Custom Design in Bend paint mine. They were easy to work with and delivered on time and on budget. They have a ton of experience with composite airplanes and I think now have an increasing experience with RV's. Would use them again.

For the guys recommending Kracon, it looks like on their website they don't use a paint booth, just a hangar with some plastic sheeting. Have you guys had an issues with dust/dirt being trapped in the paint?

For the guys recommending Kracon, it looks like on their website they don't use a paint booth, just a hangar with some plastic sheeting. Have you guys had an issues with dust/dirt being trapped in the paint?

Last time I checked, that was the case. They just hosed the hanger floor to keep the dust down.
They painted a rudder for me (Base/Clear) and I thought it was a very poor job. The plane was smooth as glass as it was previously polished. A couple of months after the rudder was painted (on the plane), As I was waxing the plane, it had turned to a fine grade sand paper on the top surfaces. This was due to overspray/dust of the clear that had gone all over the plane top surfaces.

My plane is currently in-process at T&P. Prep is done and paint is going on this week. So far, the process has been going smoothly, though the shop has been struggling with manpower lately with covid and all. I'll post photos when complete.

Please send me some pics when it's done. If you're anywhere near the bay area, I would love to actually be able to see it in person once its finished.

T&P - Great shop

I just got my baby back from T&P Aero Refinishers at KSNS. The did an amazing job implementing my paint scheme; the quality of the finish and masking is just fantastic.

They were really careful about not adding too much weight .. They didn't just shoot it white, and then shoot the color; each color was masked off and done separately. The joints between the colors is just sublime - with no wet sanding. Scrubbed, alodined, azko + white sealer primed, color coats, and clear on top. The surface is so smooth, I'm sure I gained a few knots.

Juan was very easy to work with and always enjoyed my showing up to check on progress.

I highly recommend these guys.

IMG_0072_HEIC-L.jpg

I took a trip down to Artcraft and looked at their work. I would still like to take a look at CCD and T&P before I make a choice. If anyone in the bay area happens to be doing an out and back to Bend, OR anytime soon, I'll pay for gas :)

(moving my message here instead of the general "West coast" forum)

Anyone have a recent Kracon pirep? Would like to see a real example RV that they've done. I got a bunch of NorCal area paint quotes and theirs is pretty competitive, and they're really close by my home airport.

I'm at KLHM and you're welcome to take a look at my paint job from Kracon. IT was the March 2018 picture in the Van's calendar. David has done several planes on the field. Stopping by the one of the Saturday breakfasts would be a good way to see several at once as well.

Best,
Dave

I'm at KLHM and you're welcome to take a look at my paint job from Kracon. IT was the March 2018 picture in the Van's calendar. David has done several planes on the field. Stopping by the one of the Saturday breakfasts would be a good way to see several at once as well.

I'll take you up on that. Will send you a PM.

Back