What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailcone fairing clearance issue

magiccarpet

Well Known Member
Patron
I am facing a clearance issue between the stabilator skin and the empennage fairing mounting screw. The issue is on both side, so the fairing is centered well.
Apart to this the fairing fits nicely.
My idea is to slightly trim the skin to gain clearance, but I d'rather ask the experts here what is best to do before I proceed.

Thanks for any inputs on this
Chris

2vb9ehf.jpg
[/IMG]

I used a sanding block with 80 grit paper and worked the edge so it appears to smoothly transition and clear the screw. I don't think I would notch it like that.

Remove a screw on both sides of the fairing and run a safety wire folded in half between the two sides. I used a nail and washer to hold the wire on each side. Twist the safety wire against the nail to pull the fiberglass in just enough to give you clearance plus a little over bend. Then use a heat gun and gentility heat a LARGE area of fiberglass on both sides. Heat until it is too hot to hold your hand on it but not hot enough to burn the glass. Let it air cool to room temperature, remove wire and it should retain its shape. I did this with mine and it worked.:p

I just moved the whole fairing a touch forward and it solved the issue. Most -12's that you see you can tell they trimmed the HS skin half arsed.

Clearance

Hmmm...I see clecoes.
I?d recommend that you get both fairing halves mated up and finish mounting in their final position before trimming the stabilator skins or making other adjustments for clearance.

I had to trim the skin on one side when I built it. Later my stabilator bearings started slipping horizontally causing the skin to catch a screw head. Once I did the SB to threadlock the bearings I had no issues.

That looks very interesting. What kind of effects did it provide for you? Do you have a drawing of your bracket?

thanks,
-dbh

No drawings available, it's a very simple bracket. When I made the tailcone I found the sides somewhat flexible and the sides where touching the stabilator. I tried the bracket and with that the tailcone really stays in shape.

IMG_4735.jpg

Back