Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Education > Instrument Flight Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2020, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the the suggestions. I think I'll give it a try both ways - (1) using the first airport as the destination and home as the alternate or (2) making home as both origin and destination and put appropriate remarks.

Here in Northeast FL we get a lot of "easy IFR" weather. A layer of clouds between 1000 - 2000 ft AGL.

I've also discovered a big difference on what the tower controllers approve depending on the airport.

I flew some approaches on Sunday (VFR conditions) at St. Augustine and the tower was very accommodating. When I returned home to Craig (KCRG), I requested an ILS to the active runway. The tower would not give me the ILS unless I contacted ATC first.

However, when I asked for "straight in" to the runway, the tower said sure, no problem. So I just flew the ILS but it wasn't really an ILS - it was a straight in.
Jacksonville, FL
Old 10-26-2020, 09:24 PM

At lots of airports the approaches start in someone else’s airspace than the tower, so they may be reluctant to give you an actual clearance without a phone call to ATC. Do just what you did, “We’d like to track the localizer VFR”.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:12 PM

I like to file so there's no doubt about 'being IFR' when practicing approaches, and I use home drome as departure and destination. A delay entry can be made in the other information section - DLE/fixname0030, as well as RMK/ plain language as already mentioned. I was disappointed that Flight Service had no clue about this subject when called...

==dave==
N102FM
Old 10-27-2020, 08:18 AM

If flying in IMC condtions, it is important that you do not request practice approaches. You don't want to be accidentally cleared for a practice approach (assumes the pilot maintains VFR separation and obstacle clearance) in actual conditions. In ATC terminology, a practice approach is one flown in VFR conditions, regardless of whether you are at final destination or just knocking off rust.

ATC does not always know the flying conditions and there is a risk that they assume a "practice approach" request is VFR. I believe the rules around separation are very different for practice approaches, as they are VFR and the pilot has responsibility to maintain seaparation.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 10-27-2020 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
... home airport as both the origin and destination.... vor or fix out there from where you start your first approach....
+1 - use the remarks section to describe "practice approaches"
KC2ZEL