What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage Area Tie Downs

TASEsq

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi Brains Trust,

I am about to begin installing the baggage ribs onto the lower skin.

I am thinking it might be a good idea to think about baggage tie downs at this point.

What have other people done?

I was wondering if i could rivet a piece of the tie down AEX to one of the baggage ribs in the 4 corners, then drill a corresponding hole into the baggage floors? Then the wing tie down rings could be used for baggage securing when flying, and used in the wings for parking.

Is this a terrible or overcomplicated idea?

https://store.vansaircraft.com/7-1-2-tie-down-aex-tie-down-x7-5.html

I used these. Was able to install after Fuselage was completed.

Attachments

• IMG_3709.jpg
    IMG_3709.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_3715.jpg
    IMG_3715.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_3714.jpg
    IMG_3714.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 210
I bought tie downs from Van’s and they look very much like the ones pictured. Easy to install in the corners of the baggage compartment.

I got mine here

Pit Posse Aluminum L Track Anchor Tie Down Rings (4 Pack) S Track Quick Disconnect System - Enclosed Cargo Trailer, Utility, Flatbed, Truck, SUV, RV, Cargo, Hauling - 4000lb Pull Capacity (Blue) https://a.co/d/3CitEQ6

I used these. Was able to install after Fuselage was completed.

I used 4 of these too and am happy with them in service.
I installed them after the baggage floor was riveted in so that created an extra degree of difficulty. Used nut plates in the floor/ribs.
That said, I do like the idea of repurposing the tie down rings.

I was wondering if i could rivet a piece of the tie down AEX to one of the baggage ribs in the 4 corners, then drill a corresponding hole into the baggage floors? Then the wing tie down rings could be used for baggage securing when flying, and used in the wings for parking.

Is this a terrible or over-complicated idea?

Its not a terrible idea at all and if you're able to put that in place prior to riveting down the floor skins then it will be quite an easy job to do. Using one item for two jobs is simple and a good use of resources. Think of the reduced carbon footprint and all the carbon credits you've just accumulated. :)

The alternatives presented by the others are also great and those QD fittings are what I have used on my own aircraft, however I added strength to the underside of the floor skins so that they were more secure than just using the riv-nut inserts you get when you buy then from Vans. It was a bit more work however well worth it and my tie-down points are quite strong. I have 8 in total in my luggage area but four of those were created for a child seat and I wouldn't recommend you get that carried away. If you look at the bottom right corner of the photo (near the pop-rivet tool handle) you will see the two anchornuts for the QD base attached to the floor rib. Once the floor is riveted on it ties into the floor rib and makes a big difference to the overall holding capacity of the tie-down. A simple 5 minute job. :D

Attachments

• 29-04-04 012.jpg
    29-04-04 012.jpg
    577.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Is this a terrible or overcomplicated idea?

https://store.vansaircraft.com/7-1-2-tie-down-aex-tie-down-x7-5.html

It might be a bit of a challenge removing from the baggage if your traveling on a trip and stopping for the night. You may find yourself having to empty more of the baggage then you want to just to get to the tie down rings.

Baggage or cargo net

Good evening, hijacking the thread, but so closely related. Begging for forgiveness.:)
Which cargo net is functional/practical?
Big box store samples: really big or holes/squares too big or material too heavy.
Thanks

It might be a bit of a challenge removing from the baggage if your traveling on a trip and stopping for the night. You may find yourself having to empty more of the baggage then you want to just to get to the tie down rings.

That’s a good point.

Maybe I’ll go with the click in fittings in the 4 corners and just put a couple of nutplates in the side walls to screw the tie downs into - can be used as an additional tie point but are half way up the baggage walls.

Attachments

• AD01D0AB-2E45-4FEF-9D72-F1985307F64D.jpg
    AD01D0AB-2E45-4FEF-9D72-F1985307F64D.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 96
Back