What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Routing GRT EIS Magnetometer wire - too short...

KazooRV-9A

Well Known Member
Patron
I have a GRT EIS installed in the panel of my RV-9A build. When I route the 6 conductor Magnetometer wire forward to the firewall, down the center between the seats, and out through the side of the fuselage, the length of wire won't reach the wingtip where I have a bracket mounting the Magnetometer... It's about 2 feet short at this routing.
Has anyone had this problem and found another routing that leaves enough wire to reach the wingtip? Looking at other possibilities, if I route directly to the side of the cockpit, it would have to route somehow around the rudder cable, not a clean path it seems.
Has anyone found a good route for the GRT-as-supplied length of Magnetometer wire?

IMG_2283.JPEG

IMG_2296.JPEG

Cut or add wire as needed. (Twist, solder, shrink wrap)Not special wire…. pwr, grd, data 3 wires. I just did , no issues.

I assume this is a digital magnetometer…. Just three wires needed to connect to my grt EFIS, Not to my EIS /engine monitor =GRT EIS4000

. Just three wires needed to connect to my grt EFIS, Not to my EIS /engine monitor =GRT EIS4000

That would be power grd and Tx data. IIRC, the GRT needs to also push calibration data to the magnetometer, so struggle to see how this will work well without an Rx wire. Maybe my memory is rusty.

Last edited:
That would be power grd and Tx data. IIRC, the GRT needs to also push calibration data to the magnetometer, so struggle to see how this will work well without an Rx wire. Maybe my memory is rusty.

Three wires only. Data doesn’t get pushed to the magnetometer. It transmits magnetic heading only. All calibration functionality happens in the EFIS.

As others have said, you can use just extend the wire. I like solder sleeves for this kind of thing.

https://www.steinair.com/product/18-solder-sleeve/

SS-5-SOLDER-SLEEVE-0.125-L-DSC02068.jpg

About your mount, it looks very stout! I just used double-sided tape to stick the magnetometer to the inside of the wing near the tip, keeping it as far as possible from the lights and any ferrous metal.

The Magnetometer I have has to be installed as shown. All 3 axes have to be per aircraft. It's an older style Magnetometer I believe, 2006 timeframe.
In the end I'll be making a new 6 conductor wire run from the wingtip to the fuselage. It's no big deal to add more wire. The length of wire supplied by GRT was just a couple feet short of what was needed for the route I wanted to use.
I plan to add a D-Sub connector where the wing meets the fuse. I read about other locations guys have used down the back of the fuselage and at the tail, but I think the wingtip is the best option. So I ordered more 22ga wire and will make the new run.

as other mentioned above, wiring can be extended... on the -8 we were lucky enough to be able to used the existing wiring of the discarded wing tip installed Chelton magnetometer :)

A good source for these gems. I usually buy all my electronic stuff from Stein but came across this supplier on the web and decided to give them a try. I could not be more pleased with pricing, next day shipping, and product quality.

As others have said, you can use just extend the wire. I like solder sleeves for this kind of thing.

https://www.steinair.com/product/18-solder-sleeve/

View attachment 36109

About your mount, it looks very stout! I just used double-sided tape to stick the magnetometer to the inside of the wing near the tip, keeping it as far as possible from the lights and any ferrous metal.

Attachments

• D0AA6D6E-95FA-4C4A-8E4F-D21318E19FA8.png
    D0AA6D6E-95FA-4C4A-8E4F-D21318E19FA8.png
    331.3 KB · Views: 119
Back