What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First flight!

newt

Well Known Member
Not my RV's first flight, of course. We've done lots of those.

My niece's. She's six.

My sister and niece visited us in Sydney last week. One of the items on the agenda was to take the little one for her first flight.

arrive.jpg

She's a bit shy and timid. Her mum thought she wouldn't like the noise, so we didn't mention anything about it in the car on the way to the airport, and figured if she didn't have to do it if she didn't like it.

I got some preflight inspection assistance.

preflight.jpg

Then I lifted her onboard, strapped her in, and showed her how the headset could play music from her mum's iPhone.

ready.jpg

Checklists, taxy, and off we went. iPhone couldn't play music because it was too busy taking photos. Unfortunately they were almost exclusively photos of the instrument panel, which is a shame.

taxy.jpg

We lifted off on 11L at YSBK, departed downwind towards the north-west. We were only intending to take a short flight: Better to leave her wanting more than having too much.

We saw the Sydney Motorsport Park track at Eastern Creek. She pointed at the twisty colorful PVC waterslides at the Wet&Wild theme park. Then we overflew Prospect Reservoir for a straight-in to Bankstown.

Post-flight, another RV grin to add to the collection.

close-up.jpg

It only took 15 minutes, but it's one of the best things I think I've done with my RV.

- mark

Great stuff Mark

You need to get yourself one of those colour coordinated sunglass and headset combos..

Great to see the smile on her face she obviously enjoyed the experience.

Cheers

Good man

Reading updates like this one is bitter-sweet: my eldest daughter is 6 now and loves helping in the shop, but we've just started the wings!

Hopefully she's still as excited at 16 to go for a ride.

Back