What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Minor UPS Rant

FlyerJumper

Well Known Member
Here's something you don't experience every day... yesterday my Rivethead-Aero trim cable attachment brackets finally arrived. I had the door open on the shop so I went out to meet the driver. As most of you know, the last thing the driver does before he hands you the package is scan the bar code. Well, in my case, the bar code was damaged, and the driver couldn't get it to scan... so what did he do... he said "I can't get it to scan, so I can't deliver it today". He then turned around, went back to his truck, and drove off... I was just standing there wondering 'did that just happen'...

Amazing. Isn't there a keypad on those scanenrs where they can type in the tracking number?

Don't feel bad my UPS guy was afraid of my dog. So instead of taken it back he leaves my $750 combo GPS weather antenea (spelling?) sitting on top of my mailbox out along the road. Anybody could have walked off with it.

I have a different complaint.

I purchased my last computer online from Dell. Easy one stop shopping and the computer just shows up on your doorstep, right?

Nope. I had to meet the UPS guy at the door to take possession. Despite phone calls, notes on the door, etc. etc. etc, Dell and UPS insisted on me meeting the delivery guy at the door. Of course, UPS only delivers during "work" hours, so I had to schedule one of those "between 12 and 4" slots to take delivery of a PC. Kind of ruined the user friendly part about ordering online.

other side of the coin

Yucko! But -- sorry to un-harsh the un-mellow -- I've got the other side of the coin: every so often, Ray my UPS person brings me his prize-winning green-chile stew or a green-chile cheeseburger to go along with the plane parts. Cheryl, FedEx, always requests the status tour if she has time, and would love a ride when it's done. Pete the USPS dude walks my mail out to the shop if he sees the door open. Heck, I see the freight haulers once in a while and they ask how the plane and helo are coming along! It's been great to meet so many folks via this decidedly unusual hobby/obsession.

Freight hassles

My FedEx guy is great. The people that delivered my wing kit, on the other hand, were very frustrating. First, I took a day off work unpaid and they didn't show; they said they didn't have a flatbed truck and the boxes (mainly the spar box) wouldn't go in from one end since the forklift picks it up sideways. Then I took another unpaid day off work and they didn't show.; they said they wouldn't deliver it to a residential address because I wouldn't have a forklift (as if delivering it anywhere else would help!). I explained that they had already cost me two days off work and that they were under contract to deliver it to the address on the shipping documents. They agreed to deliver on the basis that I would be responsible for getting it off at my end. Another unpaid day off work, and they eventually turned up late afternoon: the driver and I lifted the boxes off between the two of us no problem at all. Don't know what all the fuss was about. I will be specifying not to use those guys again. That one delivery cost me over (NZ)$500 of lost pay [pocket pay, that is too; after tax] and I wasn't happy about it :(

My UPS guy is great.

I really can't complain, my UPS guy puts my packages inside the door if it even looks remotely like it could rain, calls me on my cell phone if they need to be signed for, or he will arrange to meet me on whatever job site I am working on if it is not too far out of the way. The FedEx and DHL guys aren't bad, but not as good as the UPS guy. The only complaint I have about him, is that he loves my dog, and gives him 4 or 5 treats everytime he comes. Needless to say, Monroe knows the sound of the big brown truck. His ears perk up even when the truck is at the cross road a quarter mile away. Pretty funny actually. But it is hard to control his weight when the UPS guy is here two or three times a week.

Barcode

The "damaged barcode" excuse sounds pretty lame. I bet that package was scanned at least 4 times and probably shortly before it got loaded onto the delivery truck. Sounds like the driver could have written down anything on the label which was not damaged, given it to you and, through a little research later, could locate the barcode info he needed.

Anyway, yesterday the FedEx tracking website said that my package from Vans was scheduled to be delivered at 10:30 am that day. The driver showed up at 10:28 am! I love it.

3.0 hours flying my RV9!

Smart UPS guy!

N713R said:
... The only complaint I have about him, is that he loves my dog, and gives him 4 or 5 treats everytime he comes. Needless to say, Monroe knows the sound of the big brown truck. His ears perk up even when the truck is at the cross road a quarter mile away. ...
That UPS guy is on the ball! Delivery people's biggest headaches are usually dogs - giving out treats is a great idea.

Back