What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cable Tie Base Adhesion

tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
For those using the cable tie bases with adhesive....

1) How well do they stay "stuck" with only the adhesive backing?
2) Assuming they come off, what adhesive did you use to attach them?

I've got a bunch of those 3/4" square adhesive bases, but I question whether they will stay stuck without some additional help.

THanks,
Scott
7A Fuse

My trials on a composite airplane

tx_jayhawk said:
For those using the cable tie bases with adhesive....

1) How well do they stay "stuck" with only the adhesive backing?
2) Assuming they come off, what adhesive did you use to attach them?

I've got a bunch of those 3/4" square adhesive bases, but I question whether they will stay stuck without some additional help.

THanks,
Scott
7A Fuse

Scott, thanks againg for doing the Camloc GB.

While I'm building a composite airplane, I figured I'd jump in with at least a comment or two.

I'm also going to use those little bases. McMaster Carr carries a bunch of them and some with and some without stick-um. I decided to not go with stick-um as it's usually comes off at the first heat cycle (even from the sun). I've been trying a few adhesives to see what would work the best. So far I've only tried 30 min epoxy (probably not applicable to your metal airplane), while it worked, it set up a little too brittle for my tastes and I suspect that any flexing over time will loosen it.

My next test was will gorilla glue. I think it might work for your needs. It sets up with a little flex and uses "moisture" to trigger it's stick-um. One note, you'll need to clamp them somehow (maybe tape would work), until the glue sets as it's not immediate.

Beyond that, silicone comes to mind or good ole RTV.

I've found .5" versions and .75" version and also some that have a drilled hole on a tab so that they can be "attached". Again, check mcmaster for them.

I did rough up the bottom of mine before I trial glued them.

Hope this little bit of info helps.

E6000

there's an adhesive named E6000 that works well. it's mentioned on several of the more visited builder sites. You can get it at Wal-Mart or maybe hobbie shops. I couldn't find it at Lowes or Home Depot, but came across it in Wal-Mart in the crafts section. Buy a tube and try it. I think I got the idea from Dan Checkoway's site.

I don't know how they'll hold up to flight, but I tried to peel off a base and broke (1) the base (2) the metal it was on and (3) the pliers. The adhesive doesn't show any of the above efforts, so I was suitably impressed. McMaster-Carr #7566K44. I prep the area carefully with denatured alcohol. I'm also having great luck with 3M VHB double-stick tape, which is probably what these sticky bases are using.

I would second the vote to use E6000 for this application. Once cured, it's not only bullet proof, but it maintains flexibility which is just as important as stiction is for a high vibration environment.

Note that E6000 is the exact same formulation as "Shoe Goo" but marketed differently.

Rtv

Build9A said:
there's an adhesive named E6000 that works well. it's mentioned on several of the more visited builder sites. You can get it at Wal-Mart or maybe hobbie shops. I couldn't find it at Lowes or Home Depot, but came across it in Wal-Mart in the crafts section. Buy a tube and try it. I think I got the idea from Dan Checkoway's site.

I got the idea from Bob Nuckolls. Bob actually sold some 3/16" mounting studs with flat bases with a few drilled holes in the base -- this was about 3 years ago. I bought a handful. Bob recommended something like E6000.

I personally like blue Permatex RTV.

I used some adhesive backed plastic tie wrap bases in my airplane. Two have released. I fixed them with blue Permatex RTV.

Believe it or not, the past two annual condition inspections, other than a screwdriver to remove access covers, blue RTV has been my most used "tool." It's great for resolving chafing issues and for re-sticking stuff that ain't stuck no more like those adhesive-backed tie wrap bases.

Just my 2 cents.

"Loctite Depend" is the product we used when I worked at Hughes Aircraft to bond ALUMINUM tie bases to aluminum on radars we built. It is expensive but NONE of the tie bases I purchased came off after 8.5 years or 1,841 flying hours. Last time I purchased it I paid about $60 for 3/4 on an ounce.

Gary

just found this:
http://www.glueit2it.com/detail.aspx?ID=54

Last edited:
I used Click-Bond fastners. They glue on with dental epoxy. You'll pull a hole in your aluminum before one of these will come off. I'm guessing I didn't use much more than 7-10 of these in the whole airplane.

Thanks all for the replies. I see people frequently reference blue RTV, and I am not sure I am clear which flavor people are using. The "blue" RTV I am familiar with is listed as a gasket maker....is there some other "blue" that should be used as an adhesive? The Shoe Goo is another good idea...I may consider that.

http://www.permatex.com/products/au...ensor-Safe_Blue_RTV_Silicone_Gasket_Maker.htm

It sounds like I shouldn't trust the adhesive on the base. Proseal is a great idea, but I would hate to mix some every time I need to stick one of these.

Assuming these cable tie bases can be made to stay put, these seem like a great option (cheap, easy, lightweight) to hold wires and conduit. Do others prefer different alternatives? Adel clamps are obviously nice, but 1) they are heavier, 2) take longer to install (w/ Nutplate), and 3) probably involve more service time (I can cut and replace a cable tire quicker than removing and replacing a clamp).

Thanks again for the replies,

Scott
7A Fuse

Scott,

That's exactly the stuff I use. But also consider Gary's suggestion. Anybody with 1800+ hours on the airframe, who has worked in the airspace industry, etc., is worth listening to... :rolleyes:

I didn't know about Loctite Depend until now. I'll look into that myself. I also have never used a Click-Bond fastener and intend to try that as well, if another adhesive-backed tie wrap dealie falls off.

Anyway, good to have options!

Goop No Worky

Thanks Dan.

I tried the aviation dept. at Lowes and bought something called Goop. Apparently, it "will stick to anything", and it specifically calls out metal and plastic.

Well, that didn't work too well. I set some today, and the adhesive on the plastic base ended up pulling off within a couple of hours with just very minor pressure being exerted by the conduit. I scrapped the regular adhesive off of the base and used just the GOOP on the plastic...we'll see how that works tomorrow.

There's gotta be a better way....

Scott

Vote #2 for VHB

I soak the bases from Home Depot in Laq Thinner to remove the cheap tape and then make them 10 at a time with VHB tape. Clean the substrate with Iso Alcohol and stick them down. Something breaks before the tape lets go.

Clean surfaces are the key.

tx_jayhawk said:
There's gotta be a better way....Scott
fuselage72.jpg
fuselage74.jpg

http://www.clickbond.com/

I have been using Goop Automotive adhesive to hold those zip tie pads and when I showed my Tech Adviser he laughed because it is the same stuff he used three years ago when building his RV and it has not let go.

The stuff also works great to seal wires if you forgot to put shrink tubing over a connector.

Better yet, when looking up the URL for this post I found they make glue just for us RV builders.

Back