What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stuff Under Floor Panels?

tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
Getting ready to final rivet the floors on my QB 7A fuse. Any tips on items that ideally needed added under the floor prior to riveting? Where exactly is additional wiring conduit beneficial? Anything else that should be added? I have already fabbed mounts for the ELT and strobe power supply under the baggage floor (with associated access panels).

Also, it looks like the q-builders c-sunk the floor skin for the platenuts. Any reason otherwise not to dimple floor / ribs (as opposed to c-sink)?

Thanks,
Scott
7A Fuse

Make sure you have your steps installed on the "A" model. I know one guy who didn't think far enough ahead & had to drill out pop rivets.
Derrell
7A Finish

two runs for wires

I added a second set of holes for wires running from the back to the front.

Kent

Baggage floor removable..

I opted to make mine removable (nutplates work fine) for three reasons: a) wanted to install strobe power supply under there and perhaps other things; b) inspections; c) I am opting not to put on the external steps.. for now.. but may wish to revisit that decision. And making it removable is likely less time consuming than building access panels.
Hope one more comment helps.
Regards,
Len
7a QB, cowl, gear leg fairings now mostly done

LAL said:
I opted to make mine removable (nutplates work fine) for three reasons: a) wanted to install strobe power supply under there and perhaps other things; b) inspections; c) I am opting not to put on the external steps.. for now.. but may wish to revisit that decision. And making it removable is likely less time consuming than building access panels.
I just finished doing this today. Every hole in the baggage floor got a countersunk screw and platenut, so the floors are smooth all the way across but still removable. It wasn't really a big deal at all, just put on some music and get out the nutplate jigs. You will need a dozen or so one-leg countersunk nutplates too - I'll order some MS21053's from Van's tomorrow to complete my floors.

I'm planning to put my strobe power supplies under the floorboards, but I think I will put the ELT out in the open behind one of the seats so I can get to it easier. Even with screws and platenuts the floor takes a lot of effort to remove, so only stuff that doesn't require emergency access or periodic maintenance will go under my baggage floors.

mcb

Great Idea

tx_jayhawk said:
Getting ready to final rivet the floors on my QB 7A fuse. Any tips on items that ideally needed added under the floor prior to riveting?
Thanks, Scott 7A Fuse
Excellent Idea. The guys above mentioned more maintenance access. As far as equip, yes sure have access by all means. However am thinking about using that space for storage.

Guys have use them with great success for oil bottles (fits perfect), tie down rope/rings and other small items. The floor is semi-structural, but one or two "bays" with piano hinge doors and flush quick turn latches work well. If you want to carry small spare parts, survival equip, something you don't need freq access to, make small access panels with nut plates and screws.

George

Last edited:
Last edited:
Is putting loose stuff under the floor (or baggage skins) a good idea?

Since I'm right now working on the center section, this is a timely issue. I am planning on mounting the ELTand/or strobe power supplies to the bottom of one or the other floor skins, but noticed above people making little storage cubbys between the floor or baggage ribs. Is this a good idea? It seems like anything you put down under the floors (unless it is attached to the floor or a rib) is going to bounce around against the exterior skins. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited:
my equipment bays

I made two equipment bays under the floor in my 8A, with mounting plates and nutplate access. I have ELT, strobe supply, flap controller, and trim controllers under there right now, with more room available. The mounting plates are nutplated into angle I riveted to a longitudinal rib and to the exterior skin behind the wing.

Cargo floors are nutplated

I nutplated the cargo floors so I could mount lots of stuff back there. Figure it's easier to get to for service than mounting behind the instrument panel (whic is plenty crowded already). I have the strobe, ELT, AOA computer, and XM weather receiver mounted back there under the floor planels.

Back