What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV9A Metal to Composite prop W&B

YellowJacket RV9

Well Known Member
Patron
I am seriously considering changing my Sensenich metal prop for a WW GA200L ground adjustable composite prop. I have always felt like my prop wasn't quite pitched right, and the RPM restriction is annoying. I also like the idea of a smoother prop.

I have an O-320 150HP on my 9A, and with the metal prop on there, my W&B works out great, making it pretty much impossible to load out of CG. I am a little concerned that taking more than 20 lb's off the nose will impact my ability to utilize 100# of baggage. I already have the battery on the firewall.

Are there any other RV9A people out there who have made a similar switch and can comment on their W&B?

Thanks!

I did it

I made the change to a sensenich GA prop and used a landoll 12# balancer to bring the W&B back. This combination on my 0320 Lycoming is super smooth. Best change I ever made to my plane.

Did it

9A, Sensenich aluminum with Sensenich aluminum spinner to Sensenich GA. My 9A was a little heavy on the nose. I can now possibly load out of CG, but it’s crazy scenario…but possible. The new prop is noticeably smoother running, the change in direction in pitch it just noticeably more responsive, and I live more in the middle of the trim range. I got maybe two knots out of it. The idle is not as smooth below 700rpm, but it’s not objectionable, still nicer than the flight school planes. While the RPM restriction was a presumed limit, I never spent or spend significant time there anyway, unless it’s a speed run at 8000’DA.

Full disclosure, I went to EI and a lightened flywheel at the same time.

It was the right decision for me, and it looks sharp.

Back