What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prayers needed Race 21 Alan Crawford

Alan is one of the nicest people I've ever met. Instant Friend when I met him.
wishing I was closer to Texas to help him and his family. Been thinking of him since saturday.

God speed

Gosh, what composure to bring that plane down and be able to walk away from it - just amazing... prayers away!

Gosh, what composure to bring that plane down and be able to walk away from it - just amazing... prayers away!
Agree. Fields are scarce in that area. And to get that plane down and stopped in that condition... Best wishes and prayers for a quick recovery!

Prayers sent.

Bob Hoover said it best-----------------

"If you're faced with a forced landing, fly the thing as far into the crash as possible."

Update from Bob Mills

LiveAirShowTV
16 hrs ?
From our friend Bob Mills:
Update on our buddy Alan Crawford. Alan underwent about 3-4 hours of surgery today, and things went very well. Lots of smiles on the faces of Sherri (Sherri Crawford), Alan Jr., Christina Christina McDowell and Ollie's faces when they came in from the surgeon's debrief. All burned areas were debrided, and temporary grafts were put in place on most areas. Permanent grafts were done to one hand and to his neck (that's a step-by-step process). Doc said Alan was strong throughout the surgery. When he was brought up from recovery, Sherri and family manners that got a closer look said he looked much better than before. It looked like the swelling had gone down a bit, and some of the bad skin had been removed from his head, so he just looked better to all. Still very deeply sedated, and now resting.
One big first step in a long path ahead...and a very good first step! Alan may have the next grafting surgery as soon as Wednesday, so for now it's time for a little surgical recovery and rest.
They've moved the Crawford clan into a more private waiting area with tables, chairs and a couch. They are taking very good care of Alan and his family, and the mood is very good. Ollie is showing pics of Alan with Bob Hoover right now...good stuff!
Family and friends keeping a constant vigil, and they know that love and good wishes are coming in from all the circles in Alan's life. On behalf of them, thanks for all the great posts, notes and calls! We share each one with the family. Keep 'em comin'!
Reno Air Race Association Sport Class Air Racing Sport Air Racing League
Like ? Comment
Tina Estes Brack, Mike Brown, Anthony Platt and 74 others like this.
2 shares

LiveAirShowTV
16 hrs ?
Update on our buddy Alan Crawford. Alan underwent about 3-4 hours of surgery today, and things went very well. Lots of smiles on the faces of Sherri (Sherri Crawford), Alan Jr., Christina Christina McDowell and Ollie's faces when they came in from the surgeon's debrief. All burned areas were debrided, and temporary grafts were put in place on most areas. Permanent grafts were done to one hand and to his neck (that's a step-by-step process). Doc said Alan was strong throughout the surgery. When he was brought up from recovery, Sherri and family manners that got a closer look said he looked much better than before. It looked like the swelling had gone down a bit, and some of the bad skin had been removed from his head, so he just looked better to all. Still very deeply sedated, and now resting.
One big first step in a long path ahead...and a very good first step! Alan may have the next grafting surgery as soon as Wednesday, so for now it's time for a little surgical recovery and rest.
They've moved the Crawford clan into a more private waiting area with tables, chairs and a couch. They are taking very good care of Alan and his family, and the mood is very good. Ollie is showing pics of Alan with Bob Hoover right now...good stuff!
Family and friends keeping a constant vigil, and they know that love and good wishes are coming in from all the circles in Alan's life. On behalf of them, thanks for all the great posts, notes and calls! We share each one with the family. Keep 'em comin'!
Like ? Comment
2 shares

That's a very good update to hear! Though I don't know Alan I certainly wish for a strong recovery.

thats awesome.
I met him at Llano once.

Prayers being sent!

LiveAirShowTV
16 hrs ?
Like ? Comment
2 shares

I met Alan by chance at a fuel stop in Llano, TX this summer. He approached me, immediately gave me a firm handshake, complimented my airplane and started asking airplane questions. Thats always a good start in my book. I saw his very nice Legacy that he was doing some work on in the hangar. I asked him how he liked living out in the middle of nowhere in Texas and his reply was, "I like it out here, Obama can't mess with me!" That made us both chuckle. He then invited me to come join the SARL fun at an upcoming race in Pagosa Springs, CO with my -7. I told him my plane was much too fat and slow to race...he said bring it anyway, its a hoot! I laughed again, we shook hands and said our farewells and off I went. Good guy...I for one, am hoping he is flying again soon.

get well soon wishes

there's something to be said for a pilot that survives that. also, looks like a good EMT crew. get well soon wishes.

Alan pretty much wore his airplane... he knew the plane like the back of his hand and that paid him dividends during this event. Get well soon Alan! Prayers on the way.

Race 21

Alan is a really great guy and a old friend. Get better buddy, everybody is praying and pulling for you. Good job getting down and getting out.

Don Broussard

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

Thanks for all the good wishes gang! Alan is a classic Texas gent, and a larger than life character. Senior SWA Captain (old school SWA in every regard!), Reno, SARL and Airventure Cup racer, superb pilot, and great friend. Your kind words are appreciated, and have been passed along to the family.

His mayday happened while headed home from this past weekend's SARL race. He called the mayday, said he had smoke in the cockpit and was trying for Livingston, TX. Then said he was going for a field. He put it in a small clearing, was able to get out, and the airplane was destroyed by fire. Cause is completely unknown at this time, and is under investigation.

Alan was badly burned, and has been heavily sedated and unconscious since the transport to the hospital. He underwent his second surgery today, and is appearing to be strong and slowly recovering. It's going to be a long road, and the good wishes here will be a great support. SWA, Sport Class Air Racing, and SARL have joined the extended family in supporting Alan, Sherri and the kids. Add VAF to that list!

Thanks again very much for the the prayers and well-wishes...it means a lot!

Best,
Bob

Last edited:
Although i don't know Alan, it pains me to see fellow aviators injured. The fact that he is alive is a testament to the great pilot he is. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Back