What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rocky Mountain Regional Fly-in, Aug 22-23?

RV8Squaz

Well Known Member
Is this event more of a fly-in or more of an air show. I see it labeled as a Rocky Mountain Regional Fly-in and as Rocky Mountain Air Show. I'm in the mood for more of a fly-in than strictly an air show. Is it worth going to? If so, any recommendations on flying in to the airport vs not and where to stay? There is a link in their website for hotel info, but nothing comes up. Thank you!

http://www.cosportaviation.org/home.html

Jerry Esquenazi
Rv-8 N84JE

Jerry, I've been going to this for years...and its evolved quite a bit. In fact, its usually held at my home airport (BJC). At one time it was definitely more of a 'fly-in', now it is mostly an airshow and I'm not really sure why it still carries the 'regional fly-in' description. In fact, I didn't even see any instructions (or perks) for pilots flying in. I'm not saying don't come...but don't expect a lot of homebuilts on display. That's my PIREP...maybe some other locals will chime in.

Is this event more of a fly-in or more of an air show. I see it labeled as a Rocky Mountain Regional Fly-in and as Rocky Mountain Air Show. I'm in the mood for more of a fly-in than strictly an air show. Is it worth going to? If so, any recommendations on flying in to the airport vs not and where to stay? There is a link in their website for hotel info, but nothing comes up. Thank you!

http://www.cosportaviation.org/home.html

Jerry Esquenazi
Rv-8 N84JE

Ron,

Thank you very much for your PIREP. That kind of confirms my gut feeling. I have been to plenty of air shows. I really enjoy just sitting by my plane and answering builders' questions, looking around and checking out what others are doing, seeing neat airplanes, chatting with the vendors, and of course the flying itself. Thanks again. I may alter my plans.

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE

fly in

The event will be at Greeley this year and will be shorter.

The event NOTAM will probably come out a few weeks before and will be a PDF you can print out.

If you plan to fly in, make sure you read the Notam. It won't be complicated but you should know what to expect when you get into the pattern.

There will probably be some interesting airplanes there early but it seems to be a mass exodus before the field closes for the airshow.

Being a smaller venue I think it might have a different flavor this year.

oh yea, The Rocky Mountain Renegades will perform Friday and Saturday so there will be some RV formation and Acro.

CM

Back