What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ideas for making flimsy medical cert last longer?

Alan Erickson

Fresh new medical in hand, printed on plain ole' office printer paper in a size which remains too large for a wallet. So...anyone come up with a nice way of ensuring that this thing will last a few years, and maybe even pass through a washing cycle, rainstorm, or drop in a puddle (water or avgas)? Yeah, laminate, but then you can't even fold, spindle, or mutilate it to fit in a wallet. Is there anything you know of that sez I can't copy this thing, reduce it to credit-card-size, and laminate that?

I have mine paper clipped to one of the back pages of my logbook. I always carry my flight bag with me so therefore the logbook and medical are also with me. I know Sportys carries a pouch that will hold your logbook, medical, pilot license, and some credit cards if you dont want to carry an entire flight bag....

I keep my yellow cardstock medical folded in half in my wallet...it's made it 4.75 years so far. You could do the same thing with the thin paper one with a little "slipper sleeve" plastic card holder to keep it safer: http://www.amazon.com/100-Sleeves-Sleeve-Pokemon-YuGiOh/dp/B00338GYWY/

I kept my medical taped in my logbook when I was student, but now I never carry my logbook if I don't need it for a particular purpose. No need to risk losing it...or to have it available for inspection when not actually required IMO.

Last edited:
Clear packing tape

I put clear packing tape (like you might use to seal a box for mailing) on the front side of the certificate. (And the mandatory-to-carry 60 mile from DC online training certificate, too.) Still flexible enough to go in one's wallet. Trim the excess.

Wallet sized cards can get it front and back, since they don't need to fold up.

The disadvantages of carrying ones logbook

I trim a small edge off each side; still outside all information. After doing that I slide it into my wallet behind my pilot certificate.
Generally I never see it again until I pull it out to replace it 25 months later.

Last edited:
When, I first read the title of this thread, I thought you were looking for ideas to stay healthy. The older I get, the more "flimsy" my medical seems to get...

Since you're just looking for how folks preserve the piece of paper, I just fold mine till it fits in my wallet's picture window behind my (now plastic) pilot's license. Of course, being an OF, mine only has to last 2 years...:D

Last edited:
(just me ...) I carry my log book when flying but don't ever carry a wallet so I opted to tape an envelope inside the back cover of my logbook and that is where my medical goes.

Last edited:
Mine is folded up and sandwiched between my plastic Airman's certificate and my Repairman's certificate in a slot in my wallet. My paper medical only has to last one year (2nd Class), but does just fine that way.

Regarding the posters who say they carry in their logbook, I would ask, why? Can you afford to lose your logbook while out on a flight, either to theft or whatever reason? I can't. My logbooks stays at home tucked away, when I get home from work or a pleasure flight, it comes out, then goes back after I make my entries. Glenn

one way to CYA

I tend to make 6 colour copies of everything I own, on the basic home printer scanner thing. Not to hard to make a couple bigger ( so I can read them) or smaller ( so they fit somewhere). Can't imagine anyone would ever know it wasn't the real thing.
Keep the original, unlaminated version in your safe at home if you like...(in case anyone would challenge the unadulterated print on it)
laminate the others, put one in your logbook, one with your POH and other docs in the plane, one in your wallet...whatever makes you feel good.

Fresh new medical in hand, printed on plain ole' office printer paper in a size which remains too large for a wallet. So...anyone come up with a nice way of ensuring that this thing will last a few years, and maybe even pass through a washing cycle, rainstorm, or drop in a puddle (water or avgas)? Yeah, laminate, but then you can't even fold, spindle, or mutilate it to fit in a wallet. Is there anything you know of that sez I can't copy this thing, reduce it to credit-card-size, and laminate that?

As you get older and become more responsible, these things won't happen.........:eek:
But for now, just make a photo copy of it and file it with your copy of FAA form 8500-8. And take the original and fold it in thirds and tuck it in with your pilots license.

My original pilots license was just paper and was expected to last me the rest of my life. Removed it from my wallet after 25 years and it still looked like new................. signed by Langhorn Bond!!

Last edited:
Alan, it means your not old enough. With time this will change as will the time between required physicals. Now get that -8 inspected and take some photos of your first flight after-party! People in New Mexico want to know.--Greg

Back