What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Motorcycles? I see a pattern!

Like that latest bodystyle Nuisance! I have the earlier late 2004 bodywork.

Never wanted a motorcycle that feels as good after 300 miles as the first 20 because I prefer to fly-- but I got one anyway. ;)

0318061rv.jpg

Guy Prevost said:
I notice Walter is also an ADVrider. My handle is Speed3guy. Any more ADVriders out there?
31459773-M.jpg

http://www.advrider.com
Come on you lurkers, show yourselves!

We're heading down to baja on Thursday for 4 butt-breaking days of
fun in the sun. Gonna try to get as dirty as possible without my bike
falling asleep to many times.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125004

Love the Triumph, got a chance to ride one several times last year. It's
butt smooth.

If i wasn't building an RV, I could afford a motorcycle. But I know my mom would sooo kick me out of the house, and I can't afford to build AND pay rent as well as being a full time student.

from ten ft. away I can't tell that this isn't my bike. Walter Wolf-- Canadian- had a F-1 team after funding Frank Williams for a year; oil business and he got his name on some Porsche 935 street cars and Suzuki's that resembled his Wolf Racing Formula one cars.

this is midnight blue. Bike is similar to what Barry Scheek (someone help me with spelling!) rode in the late '70's IIMO.
fischman014oe.jpg

edit-- barry sheen world champion

Some of us are still older.

Oops! Hit send before I loaded the pics.
The might Monty and the Beesa.............. in the sixties.
Well, they say if you can remember the Sixties then you weren't really there.
Pete.

hey, is that the first Montessa to show up? have we seen a bul taco yet? sure like those Hodakas. my brother had one. Ace.

walter said:
Come on you lurkers, show yourselves!

We're heading down to baja on Thursday for 4 butt-breaking days of
fun in the sun. Gonna try to get as dirty as possible without my bike
falling asleep to many times.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125004

Love the Triumph, got a chance to ride one several times last year. It's
butt smooth.

I'd love to join you, but I'm only 2 weeks into a 2 month business trip right now! Maybe next time. I'm planning a 2 week DS trip in Southern CO for August though.

Duc Wannabe

I have ridden this little crotch rocket past several state troopers (worse ticket, 124 mph in 55 - but let me go with a warning), through a tropical storm, in the winter and with every sort of saddle, tank, pannier bags, etc. Its great, its fast and the chicks dig it (without the bags of course). Hope to upgrade to a Duc or when I get "older" a bimmer of sorts.
dsc00064zd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

AX-O said:
I raced at Willow Spring International Race Way a few years. Now I just do track days. I am number 771.

[/URL]

What are you riding? Looks like a few different bikes. I raced an SV for a few years and before that a way too modified Honda Hawk. The Hawk made a true 75 hp on 700cc in endurance racing tune.

I made the mistake of riding an RS125 last year. Way too much fun. If I wasn't doing the airplane thing, that's what I'd have right now.

I'm only a few minutes from Willow Springs, next time you're over there drop me a line and we'll go flying.

N916K said:
What are you riding? Looks like a few different bikes. I raced an SV for a few years and before that a way too modified Honda Hawk. The Hawk made a true 75 hp on 700cc in endurance racing tune.

I made the mistake of riding an RS125 last year. Way too much fun. If I wasn't doing the airplane thing, that's what I'd have right now.

I'm only a few minutes from Willow Springs, next time you're over there drop me a line and we'll go flying.

Racing motorcycles was my life, now it will be building the RV. Can't do both. I raced in the heavy weight with a new yamaha R1, the middle weight with a Honda F4 then a Honda 600RR and light weight with a Honda RS 250. The 250 was my favorite bike. It put out 89 HP on the rear wheel and it weighted 280 lbs. I was faster on the 250 than on anything else. Running 1 min 31 sec laps on the big track. I will PM you my info and maybe next time I come down I can drop by.

Just saw that you are in Tehachipi. I went soaring out there with my TPS class a few months ago.

Busted!
My garage-former RV Factory now holds four bikes:
82 Honda C70 Passport with 200 kms on the odo. Bought by new bride whom very shortly thereafter somehow began expecting the first of four children. Must have found her even more irresistible on a bike.
83 BMW R80RT, 130,000 Kms. Once cherry red, now faded to tangerine. Always wanted one since watching German police zoom by our pokey old VW MicroBus on the Autobahn back in the early sixties. Windscreen translucent with age, good thing I'm tall enough to see over it.Heated grips and vest allowed riding to work year-round here on Canada's West Coast for two years, but the residual salt on the roads began pitting the engine casing, cylinders and wheels, so park it in the winter and now take the TDi.
Which gets better gas mileage.
05 Kawasaki Ninja 250. didn't know they made a bike this small, but it's a blast, despite my looking like the guy on the tricycle from Laugh-In. Mostly ridden by seventeen-year-old daughter everywhere. She put on more miles than I did last year. Terrible memories of watching in my rear-view mirror as she went down after being forced off the road by a cager going wide on a blind corner. I'll never forget the sight of her helmet-encased head boucing off the ground. Thank God for Joe Rocket.
05 Honda ST 1300. I was weak. What can I say.....?
Bikers will understand.

lots of nice bikes. ST1200, i'd like to try one.

this thread got me motivated; went down in the garage this afternon and cleared a path to the covered Suzuki and uncovered and pulled the gas tank so I could get to the battery.

It's shot-- couldn't find a Yausa YTX-5L-bs tonight so maybe I'll get it running later this week.

Gotta think about how to get it back to Hotlanta for that Two Stroke Ride in May. :)

edit-- ST1300

Last edited:
Bikes, planes and garages

Scott, I am in a sad condition where the bikes are concerned. About the reverse of yours.
The small garage held our 3 bikes:
My 1985 BMW R65, the wifes Honda C110 Honda step through, and the daughters Honda CD250.

The garage had to be extended with the addition of a large workshop for the potential building of the RV-6. In accordance with the then CASA regulation for an aircraft workshop to have washdown facilities, toilet etc, so the workshop developed with small kitchen, nice downlighting, shower and toilet. Clearly it was fit to manufacture a Boeing 747. Then the daughter spied the potential for this workshop to become her flat. In went the double bed etc.

To cut a long story short, another carport had to be built to house the motorbikes so the RV-6 could be built in the original very small single garage.

With wings in a cradle on wheels, and the fuse absolutely touching the wings there is about a foot to walk down to the tail. The taper in the fuse allows for a small bench.

Apart from final assembly at the airstrip, it goes to the painter in the next week or two or three. After that the motorbikes will again occupy their rightful place back in the small garage. And the flat/workshop? Well that's going to be a different story, maybe I'll look at an RV12 in my dotage.

Nice, Mark!
I did the "annual" on my R60/5 a couple of weekends ago. Been stupid cold weather since then, though. This Friday looks like the first chance to ride to work for 2006. :cool:

I'll probably uncover the RZ and go through it this weekend. I love the smell of Klotz oil. It's kinda' like the sweet castor oil smell. Hmmmm. I think I need to invent a burned castor oil "air freshener" to hang in the RV.. :rolleyes:

Dude,
It would be seriously cool if you could make Atlanta..

Last edited:
Bikes & RV's = No Room

G'day Ted,

I can sympathise with your situation. My first aircraft was built in a single car garage, but as you may see from the pic, building the RV6 in a 3-car garage was not much better....

Cheers

Martin in Oz (Tyabb)

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

I will come to ATL if I can get Tony Partain to deliver my ride. :eek:

edit-- and if he takes plastic-- I'm broke.

guilty

The airplane is taking longer than desired, I'm not yet a pilot and wouldn't have anything like easy access to a plane even if I was, and it had been 14 years since I last twisted a throttle: I bought a beat-up old 92 Ninja ZX600 last Sunday. Woo hooo!!! Of course, now I've got to spend a few days doing valves, carbs, and replacing a bazillion non-stock and beat-up parts that have nothing to do with getting my plane done! Ah, well....nice thing is, I know how to do 'glass now.

Or....how 'bout a set of riveted aluminum fairings? :)

Orange Crush, I'm in.

Damnit, why am I sucker for citrus colored bikes???

After the mexico trip: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127708

And after the Thumper gave me CTS, I ended up with this:

http://www.tondu.com/KTM950

I can easily justify the bike. 1) Thumper=CTS, 2) Hobbies=not enough
3) Married=no, 4) Hobbies=not enough, 5) Life=short

A man can NEVER have enough toys and friends to enjoy them with.
Needless to say, the KLR is for sale :)

Unfortunately (for my family) when I die, I'll be broke.

da bikes...

I got my first bike when I was 7, Briggs and Stratton powered monstrosity, then a Yamaha 60 mini mx'er which taught me how to ride...then it was a Honda 100, Honda 175, Suzuki 185, Honda Elsinore 250, Yamaha 400 enduro (power baby!), Kawasaki KDX250, Honda 500 MX, BMW R65, Husqvarna 400, Kawasaki KX500, and now just a BMW GS1100.

I raced 'em for years (MX, desert racing, flat track), did "power jumping" for awhile and ate a lot of dirt and rocks along the way. I do believe I found the "fun barrier" on every machine I've owned. I have wrecked them every conceivable way (including collisions with horses and cattle and other bikes, but that's another war story). The last major wreck was on the KX500, which after some thoughtful consideration made me get out of the MX riding business. Ya gotta love a good bike...

It's the freedom and the rush! A lifelong love affair...

Bob

walter said:
Damnit, why am I sucker for citrus colored bikes???

After the mexico trip: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127708

And after the Thumper gave me CTS, I ended up with this:

http://www.tondu.com/KTM950

I can easily justify the bike. 1) Thumper=CTS, 2) Hobbies=not enough
3) Married=no, 4) Hobbies=not enough, 5) Life=short

A man can NEVER have enough toys and friends to enjoy them with.
Needless to say, the KLR is for sale :)

Unfortunately (for my family) when I die, I'll be broke.

Hey Walter, nice bike. :cool: Notice what is between the wings in this image.

wings1.jpg

I guess I'm a motorcycle poser

Last summer I felt like I needed a break from my plane project and wanted to actually work on something that could be finished in a reasonably short time. I got a real good deal on a high mileage SV650 and tore it all apart. I rebuilt the motor, replaced all the wheel bearings and seals, swingarm bearings, steering bearings, etc. Had the frame stripped and powdercoated matte black. I then cleaned up a couple of dents and resprayed the tank and fenders with House of Kolor Limetime Pearl, followed with color sand and polish. The thing ran great and got looks and compliments everywhere I went. I then decided that riding a motorcycle wasn't my thing. I really prefer the peace and quiet of my road bicycle. I sold the bike on Ebay and actually made a couple of bucks. Here's before and after shots.

bimag0014a15on.jpg

bimag0014b7ge.jpg

Last edited:
While the KLR650 in my last post was fun and treated me very nicely on my
last Baja trip, I figured that I needed to get something that was a bit more
refined; sort of like an RV, hence the new ninefiddy. Boy, this bike is almost
as much fun as the RV, almost, well not quite, but still very fun indeed.

Img_0786.jpg

More pics here: http://www.tondu.com/KTM950

I suppose as Walt's hangar mate, I have to chime in. In fact, where my airplane should be--it's being painted--is my Aprilia Tuono. Here at home is my 20th Anniversary Suzuki GSX-R750 and my wife's SV650. And, for the moment, I'm housing a friend's GSX-R1000. All the four-wheeled vehicles still fit _in_ the garagae, but only just.

I love the Tuono but now have a serious hankering for a Ducati SportClassic, so it may have to go. Before the airplane, I'd just buy another bike...now I've got to be *cough, sputter* responsible!

Motorcycling and flying are two very different activities, but I couldn't see a life without both.

--Marc

I have a 2004 Harley-Davidson XL1200R that's been converted to a Cafe Racer. Supertrapp Exhuast, RamFlo aircleaner, LePera seat, the bars are from Norman Hyde and were designed for a triumph (clip-ons are going on this winter), and hopefully rearsets in a few months. Also has a progressive spring kit int he forks and 1200S Fully adjustible nitrogen charged shocks out back.

Take a look at those wheels. The front is 19x2.75" (stock was 19x2.15") running a 120/70R19 - same size a VROD. The rear is an 18x4.5" (stock was 16x3") running a 160/60R18. Totally custom sizes, aluminum rims and stainless spokes. They're beautiful when they're clean ;)

3484374%3A3%7Ffp339%3Enu%3D3275%3E5%3B7%3E4%3B%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D323369%3B%3B7%3B4%3B4nu0mrj

of=50,332,443

Last edited:
Before I emigrated

I sold my beauticous FZR1000 yamaha.....Now in England I have to tell you that the cops actually have to chase and stop you to give you a ticket....England is covered in tight twisty back country roads that no cop with half an hours experience after leaving "driving school" would ever dare chase a hot bike.

Not that its dangerous,...just they have no chance of catching you...I even saw a CBR900R outrun a poilice helicopter...ha ha ha.

Anyway, when I rode my bike to work I was not happy unless I saw 150mph at least once.....:)

Needless to say there are not many crotch rocket riders who don't know how to "get their knee down" in the UK!

Sadly my Wife has heard all the war stories and she won't let me have a bike now...:(

Frank
7a 38.2 hours....1.8 till FREEDOM

Many street miles in the 70's, mostly on an R90/6. Anybody old enough to remember when a big Boxer was a Superbike? <g> Sold it to fund pilot training.

Roadraced a Honda thumper pretty seriously back in the 80's, before thumper racing was cool. Loved it, won my share, including a WERA GNF.

Went through a whole bunch of streetbikes...K100, early V45 Interceptor, 900SS, yada yada. Still like the FZR1000 the best.

Then I quit. Said I wasn't gonna ride anymore. Stayed off them 10 years.

Funny how things work out. Lost my great friend and business partner to cancer last year. Darned if that dog didn't leave me his bike, an 85 R80. Hadn't been ridden in years and was in sad shape. I did a full frame up restoration in his honor. Turned out nice, and I'm gonna keep it.

A full circle for me. I dated my wife on that old /6. Last weekend we saddled up the R80 for our first ride together in a long time. It was good to be young again <g>

Dan

Went riding with my nephews a few weeks back. As you can see we have all been bitten by the orange bug, well Kevin's is black, but still a KTM. I haven't ridden much since starting the plane project and it was good to get out and put some miles on. I'm not in the photo but the bike on the right is mine.

redrock.jpg

Been on powered 2 wheels since age 10, off an on.. Current mount is a 2001 Kawasaki KLR 650. When gas went to 3/gal I picked it up to wave my posterior in the general direction of Big Oil. 65 mpg, and lane-splitting is legal in CA! woohoo!

Got my motorcyle license in 1969. Currently own a 2005 Harley 1200XL-R and my wife rides her 2006 Honda 750 Shadow Spirit. I've got a 2007 Harley Softail Deluxe on order for a Feb. '07 delivery. RV7A should be completed in late '07.

Flyin low....

I just finished reading Doug?s article on how fun the miata is on a twisty road. I can imagine it's a hoot BUT if you really want to have fun on the twisties, you gotta have a hot bike. I'm not talkin a dressed Harley or a Honda Goldwing. I'm talking 600's or liter bikes, Busas and the like.

I have and old 97 Blackbird, that?s a CBR1100XX Super Blackbird to the none motorcycle types. It's a little long in the tooth but it was the fastest thing you could buy when it first came out....

Any who... I commute about 45 miles one way to work and absolutely love this thing. It puts a smile on my face every time I get on it... There is a stretch of road that is similar to what Doug was talkin bout that?s a little out of my way but you talking bout fun...

Life to short to fly slow planes or slow bikes....:D

I'm guilty of the two-wheel addiction also. I have only been riding on the street for about 5 years (no pavement where I grew up) and have already owned 9 bikes.

I got rid of most of my bikes when I moved to Dallas from southern California. The roads out there spoil a rider and this area just can't compete, so I sold all but one to finance my airplane habbit. All I have left is an '81 KZ750. Once the 6 is done, I'll have space in the garage again fir some more bikes. The wife wants to learn to ride, so maybe sooner.

img12007.jpg

Thats more like it..

If you can't get your knee down your not considered a good rider back in jolly old England...:)

I would love another bike but i wouldn't have my license for long over here.

Frank

I ride a Kawasaki 900 LT. Unfortunately I don't have time to ride it much at all (2500 miles total) so I guess the best thing would be to sell it so I can finance RV updates.

re: GL 1800

I've had a motorclycle of some sort since I was 13 years old. I currently have a 2008 Goldwing, a 2008 Goldwing CSC trike for my wife and daughter, and a2008 250 Rebel for my 14 yr. old daughter. Been lots of miles, love riding as a family.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM

harley of the air?

Hey wait a minute...
Pietenpols are the Harleys of the air. ;-) <BG> RV's are closer to a nice BMW RT ripping through Deals gap... (way behind all those Duc and gixxer guys...)
Sorry Darwin, had to be done. <BG>
Dennis
R-1200 RT
R-1200 GS
RV-4

RV-7 guy said:
"Without question, I believe RV's are the Harleys of the air."

Last edited:
Without question, I believe RV's are the Harleys of the air.

If the RV is the Harley of the air, then I need to rethink my choice of aircraft to build. Harleys are good bikes, but I certainly wouldn't call them sporty or nimble, terms I would use to describe the RV.

If the RV is the Harley of the air, then I need to rethink my choice of aircraft to build. Harleys are good bikes, but I certainly wouldn't call them sporty or nimble, terms I would use to describe the RV.

You, sir, have never ridden either a Sportster or a Buell. :cool: I used to have a blast up near Alice's Restaurant in the SF Bay Area. But I'm really a cruiser at heart so I'm perfectly happy with my generator shovel replica (and it's not that shabby on the curves in the mountains here, though the belt primary does limit my left-side roll).

BTW, Mel, every bike I've owned that had a chain drive 'marked its spot'. That includes all the non-Harleys. I always route the breather over the chain. On the other hand, my belt-driven Harleys don't leak a drop.

That said, I might compare most RVs to something like a Suzuki GS; aircooled, fast, and fun but not the most bleeding-edge thing out there.

This, my friends, IS the RV of the motorcycle world. IMHO... Fast, 170+mph, nimble, comfortable with the right seat, can haul a ton. I have a 52 liter and two 45 liter Givi hard bag set-up. And is arguably one of the most beautiful bike ever built.... Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird....

This thing eats the interstate. I covered over 600 miles in a day to SNF no sweat.. Just one ticket....:eek:

[URL=http://img97.imageshack.us/i/blackbird.png/][/URL]

This, my friends, IS the RV of the motorcycle world. IMHO... Fast, 170+mph, nimble, comfortable with the right seat, can haul a ton. I have a 52 liter and two 45 liter Givi hard bag set-up. And is arguably one of the most beautiful bike ever built.... Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird....

This thing eats the interstate. I covered over 600 miles in a day to SNF no sweat.. Just one ticket....:eek:

[URL=http://img97.imageshack.us/i/blackbird.png/][/URL]

Great bike, but they are probably as many RVs out there as blackbirds. I vote for the RV being a late 90's - early 00' Yamaha R1. Not the fastest or most nimble out there, but can hold it's own. Looks fast standing still and full of character.

BMW R60/2

My current ride is a 1966 BMW R60/2. I restored it from a box of parts. Then again thats what I do for a living. It did place in the BMW International Rally this year. It is based on a points system and lost points because it was, get this, too shiney! I'll accept that. I will try to post a pick somehow.... no luck.

C90

Does a Honda C90 qualify?
It's the best I can admit to. It was a long time ago and it actually belonged to my girlfriend who is now my wife :D
However having past the 50 mark I am tempted to get a real (but sensible) bike before I am too old - BMW?. Oh and a Miata/S2000/Boxter/Caterham/Lotus to round things off.
Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Phase 1

Yamaha XS-750 trip to Alaska via Alcan Highway when it was still dirt.
Fairings actually red and silver but covered with protective vinyl. Getting ready for a heavy downpour heading our way in the picture. 6 week trip turned into 4 mth trip that only ended when we ran out of money. :(

alaska.jpg

Last edited:
Back