What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AreoComposite Propeller Question

RV8TT

I'm New Here
I have a two blade Areo Composite propeller on my RV8 and the rubber hub seal in the spinner they supplied needs to be replaced. Does anyone know where I could source one? Thanks

They are unobtainium. I ended up using an old a aviation inner tube section that fit over the hub and seems to work just fine.

-Marc

Plummit, can you elaborate on your spinner fix? I'm in the same boat. How did you attach it to the bulkhead, or did you just wrap it around the prop can? Did you happen to take a pic?

I just cut a section of inner tube and stretched it over the hub like a condom. Seemed to work just fine with no ill effects. I probably have some left if you want me to send you a piece.

-Marc

Aero Composites Prop Rings in work

Hi everyone

I think I have a solution for the Aero Composites prop ring issue that might be a little more elegant hopefully (but the inner tube idea is pretty clever!)

These are made from an elastomeric material and have an improved cross section for better durability. Expecting to have at least three of these for testing around January 25th. The first one is going on an F-1 Rocket that is flown almost daily here at Spruce Creek.

If someone has a 2-blade Aero Composites prop that they would be willing to take some measurements to confirm the rings are the same as the 3-blade, please PM me.

One challenge is trying to make sure the unobtainium is not just transformed to cantaffordium, while still making something that will last longer than those old green prop rings.

Thanks.

Norman Howell
Spruce Creek Fly-In, FL

Last edited:
Update

It's been a few years (2018) since I had my prop overhauled at American Propellers in Redding. Recently I noticed grease on the windscreen after flying. I decided to have the prop sealed and called American, only to find out that they will no longer work on ACI props. "Todd" at American said it was a liability issue as ACI is no longer in business.

I ended up sending my prop to Santa Monica Propellers and they resealed it for $1640. I contacted John Violette, who designed and built the props, about getting a new polyurethane spinner sleeve and he put me in contact with Matt Nash of Nash manufacturing who quoted me $150 plus shipping for the sleeve. I'm currently waiting for him to get back to me about sending the sleeve.

-Marc

I’m looking for the u shaped pre molded flexible polyurethane ring also. Rv 10.

Attachments

• 7FD4935F-A9B6-45D9-8F2F-1C99F2F4BE4D.jpg
    7FD4935F-A9B6-45D9-8F2F-1C99F2F4BE4D.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Hi everyone

I think I have a solution for the Aero Composites prop ring issue that might be a little more elegant hopefully (but the inner tube idea is pretty clever!)

These are made from an elastomeric material and have an improved cross section for better durability. Expecting to have at least three of these for testing around January 25th. The first one is going on an F-1 Rocket that is flown almost daily here at Spruce Creek.

If someone has a 2-blade Aero Composites prop that they would be willing to take some measurements to confirm the rings are the same as the 3-blade, please PM me.

One challenge is trying to make sure the unobtainium is not just transformed to cantaffordium, while still making something that will last longer than those old green prop rings.

Thanks.

Norman Howell
Spruce Creek Fly-In, FL
I’m looking for the u shaped pre molded polyurethane also. Any ideas?

Aero Comp. rings

I have purchased the prop ring from Norman, excellent product, was a pleasure dealing with Norman, highly recommended.
Dick

Thank you! Your kind words are most appreciated.

I did get in contact with Richard (rsdry449) and we have a spinner bulkhead sleeve ready to ship to him! Anyone else?

The Aero Composites spinner bulkhead sleeve replacements are in full production and available immediately. I have had many good reports from the ones in the field and they are building flight hours quickly.

Attachments

• Spinner Sleeve sets.jpeg
    Spinner Sleeve sets.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 118
Hi everyone,

I still have 5 of these Aero Composites spinner sleeves available if there are any takers. Getting ready to put an ad on the LOBOs (Lancairs) as well. Still only $99 plus shipping. Thanks!

Back