What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop strobe effect?

Jcurry

Well Known Member
Hey Guys,
I'm asking this out of curiosity more than anything.
I have the 2 blade Sensenich. The strobe effect that I experience while flying into the sun is incredible. So much so that I will often alter course. Way more than any other airplane that I have flown. I wonder if it's the metal leading edges? My flat black is in good condition. Has anyone else noticed this with this particular prop or am I cuckoo?

Thanks

Try changing the RPM?

I have some strobe effet into the sun with a 3 blade MT.
My home base has a 06/24 runway and wintertime and close to sunset, the sun is almost perfectly aligned when on final so heading change is not possible.
I find that a 100 RPM change kills most of the effet...

My home base has a 06/24 runway and wintertime and close to sunset, the sun is almost perfectly aligned when on final so heading change is not possible.

I'm 06/24 as well here in NJ.. and you're right.. it is almost a hazard. I'll try different RPM settings. I wonder if the 3-blade prop is better or worse than 2. On one hand, there are more blades to cross in front of the sun.. on the other, they are thinner than 2-blade props.. not sure what the net effect is.

I’ve never seen it in the 12, but I had a Yak-52 that was so bad at idle it would have sent an epileptic into a fit!

This issue is called Flicker Vertigo. Most helicopters pilots learn about this. per AC90-89A

Flicker Vertigo. Light, when flashing at a
frequency between 4 to 29 cycles per second, can
cause a dangerous physiological condition in some
people called flicker vertigo. These conditions range
from nausea and dizziness to unconsciousness, or
even reactions similar to an epileptic fit. When heading into the sun, a propeller cutting the light may
produce this flashing effect. Avoid flicker vertigo,
especially when the engine is throttled back for landing. To alleviate this when the propeller is causing
the problem, frequently change engine revolutions
per minute (rpm). When flying at night and the rotating beacon is creating flicker vertigo, turn it off.

This issue is called Flicker Vertigo. Most helicopters pilots learn about this. per AC90-89A

Flicker Vertigo. Light, when flashing at a
frequency between 4 to 29 cycles per second, can
cause a dangerous physiological condition in some
people called flicker vertigo. These conditions range
from nausea and dizziness to unconsciousness, or
even reactions similar to an epileptic fit. When heading into the sun, a propeller cutting the light may
produce this flashing effect. Avoid flicker vertigo,
especially when the engine is throttled back for landing. To alleviate this when the propeller is causing
the problem, frequently change engine revolutions
per minute (rpm). When flying at night and the rotating beacon is creating flicker vertigo, turn it off.

Great stuff - I had never heard of this! Thankfully I don't feel I'm affected by flicker vertigo, but I also alter course if I'm flying right into the sun. The RV-8 has a nice sun blocking device build in - the rollbar. I just zig-zag like when sailing. :D

Back