What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X database update issue

ColoCardinal

Well Known Member
I have a dual screen G3X and have been trying to update the databases. The GDU375 will accept the updates whereas the GDU370 will not. The latest "thing to try" was to use a smaller SD card. I have been using a 16GB card and am told that the units are designed to accept 2GB cards. No explanation was offered as to why the 375 would accept this card while the 370 will not. :(
Has anyone else had any similar issues?

Try reformatting the SD card with ?SD Formatter?. Then reload the databases on it and try again.

Thanks Brian. I found a 2GB card that I formatted and reloaded the data to. I'll be heading out to the airport (trying to beat the snowstorm) in a little bit. Still don't understand why one unit would accept the card and the other wouldn't but there are a lot of things that computers do that I don't comprehend!

sd card

If you still have any trouble with the 2gb card, go to an 8gb card. When I first began doing my updates I couldn't get the smaller cards to work consistently. When I switched to using 8gb cards for both GTN and G3X both, data and firmware, it all worked good.

Steve

Garmin is very specific on what SD card to use, and even states a certain brand to use in the G3X installation manual: Page 20 section 1.5.5 SD Card. I never had any issues using the specified card on my RV-10 three screen G3X system and will use the same for my RV-9A. You generally can't go wrong following manufacturers directions and specifications.

Also be aware that there are many fake counterfeit cards on the market. They may appear to work but do not meet the performance or quality specs of the real thing. They might cause problems down the road.

SD ards

I very much hope that it IS the card. Stiil, I find it odd that this card sucessfully updated the system software and has also updated the Database on the GDU 375 but won't work on the GDU 370.

Good point about the couterfeit cards, though I'm fairly certain that this one is the "real deal".

When updating the system software, I was told by another Garmin tech, that the 16GB card should be fine. He said Garmin posts their SD card 'specs" as a minimum, just as they still suggest that one use a Windows 2000 or XP system. Still, I'll try he 2GB version and keep my fingers crossed.

Because of the storm, my entire 30 mile path to the airport is currently under "accident alert" so it will be another day before I'll have a possible answer. Thanks All.

I?ve had cards quit working

I have had cards exactly as Garmin says to use quite working, tried another card bigger size and it worked. It’s just one of those places for gremlins, I believe. The only problems I’ve had is trying to safe the databases to the cards, never had a read problem of my 370 or 375.

Last edited:
Back