What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV12 in COLORADO

larry0154

Hello all -

I just joined the site. I have been flying a RANS S-19, rented out of Greeley, Co, for about 12 hours over the last couple months. I really enjoy flying this plane and have been looking to purchase either an S-LSA, E-LSA, or AB-LSA. I am regulated to LSA now.

Friends have told me that the RV12 is very similar and I ought to entertain it for purchase.

I'm located in Loveland, CO. Does anyone know of an RV12 owner, in a reasonable distance from me, that I could get a ride or even is there is an RV12 for rent?

Thank you,
Larry A

RV 12 OWNERS IN N COLORADO

Is anyone aware of VAF members that have an RV12 in Northern CO?

I want to see the plane and possibly get a ride or checkout before I decide to pursue purchasing one.

I know there are some builders, but I don't know of any flying yet.

I got a ride in one that came through CO on a trip. It was one of the two best-flying airplanes I've ever flown. I've also flown an RV-4 and an RV-6 but the RV-12 was noticeably more delightful. The RV-12 even had excellent visibility.

If they made a taildragger version of it, I'd build one. As it is I chose an RV-3B.

Dave

There?s a guy (Pat Claire?) from the Denver area?KFTG, maybe?who has a beautiful green and polished RV12. I see him over in Greeley every so often at the Barnstormer. I?ll see if I can get his contact info to pass along next time I see him.

If you see his plane, you?ll want an RV-12. It?s really fantastic.

Yup. I know of a few people in Colorado who are building, but not yet flying their RV-12s.

The Positives I've heard:
- All metal construction
- Fast to Build (pop rivets)
- Cheap to Build (for a Vans Aircraft)
- Excellent, all-inclusive plans, through panel if you like
- Van's enjoyable flight characteristics
- Beyond-Excellent Visibility

Negatives I've heard:
- Wings attach/detach method doesn't really allow regular removal and trailer hauling/stowage

Rv-12 trailer

I beg to differ about trailering an RV-12. I have been flying my -12 since August 2015 , 212 hours on Hobbs. Just about every flight (overnight away from home excluded) I trailer, assemble, fly, disassemble, and trailer home. My wife and I can have the plane ready to preflight in less than 15 minutes. Sometimes as quick as 11 minutes, if we're on our game. Beats the heck out of renting a hangar for $250 a month. And it stays in my shop in the backyard, always have access to it. The removable wing/trailerable feature was a big plus for me. Of course I had to design and build my own trailer to make it happen.

Colorado RVs

Hello all -

I just joined the site. I have been flying a RANS S-19, rented out of Greeley, Co, for about 12 hours over the last couple months. I really enjoy flying this plane and have been looking to purchase either an S-LSA, E-LSA, or AB-LSA. I am regulated to LSA now.

Friends have told me that the RV12 is very similar and I ought to entertain it for purchase.

I'm located in Loveland, CO. Does anyone know of an RV12 owner, in a reasonable distance from me, that I could get a ride or even is there is an RV12 for rent?

Thank you,
Larry A

Larry
I manage a Google Group of RV owners and builders in Colorado inclkuding a couple outside our state. If you would like to join, shoot me an e-mail from a Google account. Happy to have another in our family. My e-mail address is in my signature.

Negatives I've heard:
- Wings attach/detach method doesn't really allow regular removal and trailer hauling/stowage

?
The wings are designed like a sailplane and do come off really easy. I recently met a guy who keeps his -12 at home and trailers it to the airport and installs the wings when he wants to go flying.

Here is a video Van's made on how to remove and install the wings.

Guys

Thanks for the feedback. I did see Patrick Claar in the White Pages as based at KBJC north of Denver. Also, I rent an S-19 and Piper Sport out of Greeley, as well as, frequenting the Barnstormer.
I plan to contact him.

Larry

?
The wings are designed like a sailplane and do come off really easy. I recently met a guy who keeps his -12 at home and trailers it to the airport and installs the wings when he wants to go flying.

Here is a video Van's made on how to remove and install the wings.

Well, I guess people aren't having the difficulty removing the wings that was reported to me. Could be the people I heard from were just not up to the task on a regular basis. I'm glad to hear that people are using the RV-12 as a trailer ready bird.

I sure appreciate all the feedback from members.

Regarding the removable wings, although a benefit to some, it adds no value to me as I have a hangar.
Part of my hesitation on the RV-12 is that the wings are removable and therefore the fuel tank rides in the cabin. this is not a deal breaker but it is a negative.

Of course every plane has pluses and minuses.

The main reasons for me to consider the RV-12 over the RANS S-19:
* The increased Useful load
* The quantity of RV-12s flying today

I sure appreciate all the feedback from members.

Regarding the removable wings, although a benefit to some, it adds no value to me as I have a hangar.
Part of my hesitation on the RV-12 is that the wings are removable and therefore the fuel tank rides in the cabin. this is not a deal breaker but it is a negative.

Of course every plane has pluses and minuses.

The main reasons for me to consider the RV-12 over the RANS S-19:
* The increased Useful load
* The quantity of RV-12s flying today

If wing removal isn't required, you should consider all the 2-place Vans birds. They aren't pop-riveted, but they have the fuel in the wings and some are aerobatic too. You would only spend a little more to build them and they are far more capable than the RV-12...

Mike

Appreciate the feedback but other VANS aren't available as LSA which I'm now relegated to.
Also, I'm not interested in building either. I'll be looking to purchase a completed S-LSA, E-LSA, or AB LSA.

Thanks for the feedback. I did see Patrick Claar in the White Pages as based at KBJC north of Denver. Also, I rent an S-19 and Piper Sport out of Greeley, as well as, frequenting the Barnstormer.
I plan to contact him.

Larry,
I'm sure that Patrick will be able to help you out. He's a local tech counselor, super nice guy and loves all things aviation.

I've left a message for Pat Claar on phone number per white pages.

Does anyone know his forum ID so I can write him a private email?

I've spoken with Pat and He has just taken down the RV12 for Annual.
I'll try to get down and see the plane.
I'll, also, keep looking for one to fly in soon.
So far, Phoenix AZ is closest S-LSA giving lessons and I might have to make a trip down there.

All

I had the opportunity to meet Pat at his hangar in KBJC. He has started his annual condition inspection and the wings were off.
Pat provided me with good information and answered my questions.
Firstly, his plane is beautiful.

I saw some things that I liked more than the S-19 which is what I have been looking to purchase. All planes have pluses in minuses. His plane convinced me that I need to fly the left seat to see if I would purchase one of these RV12s in lieu of the S-19.

I have a message into Flying Cacti in Glendale, AZ which rents and gives lessons in a RV12 S-LSA. I plan to go down there for a flight and if I like it full sideways transition training.

Before I go, I want to know if anyone knows where I can get left seat time in the RV12 that is closer than Glendale, AZ to me in Loveland, CO.

Thanks, Larry

E-LSA vs AB-LSA VERIFICATION

I have been addressing RV-12s for sale with Owners. Some say theirs is E-LSA and not E-AB LSA.

By looking at the AW Cert. and Registration, I see nothing that confirms the plane is an E-LSA vs E-AB.

How do I verify?

NOTE: I did notice a big difference on the Phase I Operating Limitations for:
1) E-AB planes always seemed to show 40hrs for Testing Period.
2) E-LSA claimed plane has only 5hrs for Testing Period.

Thanks,
Larry

Look up the N-number at the FAA Registry website.
https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/nnum_inquiry.aspx

If the RV-12 is Experimental Light Sport, in the ?Aircraft Description? section, Van?s Aircraft will be listed as the manufacturer. In the ?Airworthiness? section, the classification will be ?Experimental,? and the category will probably say something like ?Operating Light Sport Kit Built.?

If the RV-12 is Experimental/Amateur-Built, in the ?Aircraft Description,? the manufacturer is the builder, not Van?s. In the ?Airworthiness? section, the classification will be ?Experimental,? and the category will be ?Amateur-Built.?

E-LSA vs AB-LSA VERIFICATION

RV9 Builder

Thank you so much as I had pulled the N Search and also have both the AW Cert. and Registration of the plane.

It must be E-LSA per your write-up below:

Aircraft Description: MFG Name - VANS AIRCRAFT INC
AW SECTION: Classification - Experimental; and Category - Operating Light Sport kit-Built

I looked up another and it is just as you listed for AB.

Now if I can just find one to fly from Left seat, I will pursue purchase.

Thanks again,
Larry

Back