What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

4th Annual Primitive Camping Fly-in at Alpine County - October 21-22, 2017

beav

Well Known Member
It?s time for the 4th annual primitive camping trip at Alpine County airport in the northern Sierras! We?ve had a great turnout the past few years:

2016: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=142121
2015: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=130045
2014: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=117769

The plan is to meet there about 10am on Saturday morning. We generally hike down to the river for lunch and then spend the afternoon hanging out or exploring. We?ll either have breakfast on Sunday in camp or fly somewhere close by.

Remember that this is primitive camping and you need to bring everything you need with you and keep all food in bear proof containers; check the previous years for recommendations. Hope to see many of you there!

Alpine%2520County%2520Airport.jpg

Hi Jason and Paul, good to see both of you today! Pending concurrence from my Activity Director, I'm in.

I'm planning on joining again this year. There's a chance work will get in the way, but I hope not.

Time to bump this to the top

We're having a fabulous fall on this side of the Sierra. Aspen and cottonwoods are probably at peak this week. Hope to see a great turnout.

VAF CALENDAR

Jason, this would make a good entry in the VAF Calendar. The link is front and center, above, and it will get a lot more visibility than bumping a thread.

I just checked the forecast for this weekend, and its looking like it will be beautiful! Clear skies and fall weather - perfect for a campfire.

I might be a little late arriving on Saturday, but I plane to be there - I get in to Reno about 1030 on SWA, and it take San hour to get home and fire up an airplane - only about twenty minutes block to block from home to Alpine! Don't wait around - I'll find the group if you've hiked off.

I just checked the forecast for this weekend, and its looking like it will be beautiful! Clear skies and fall weather - perfect for a campfire.

It should be a great night for viewing the Orionid meteor shower; moonless night sky and clear dry air. I'll bring camera and (mini) tripod.

See you all tomorrow!

Windy and cool today but tomorrow's weather prediction looks great! Sixties during the day, light winds, and hovering around freezing at night. From what I can see from home, there's likely to be a little snow on the ground from last night, but I expect the open areas (like the runway) will have melted off.

I'll be coming up in our Tundra and will arrive before 10 am. Paul will follow later with one of the RVs. See folks tomorrow!

Well nuts - looks like I am stuck in Houston an extra day, so I doubt I am going to make it there this year..... Louise will hold down the fort though, and I hope everyone has a relaxing time.

B Beautiful day at Alpine County Airport po

Posted from the airport. It's beautiful here. No snow. Dry ground. Gentle breeze from the south. And, CAVU. Check my Facebook page for this morning's photos. I haven't learned how to post photos here since Picasa went away. 😒

I really enjoyed the time and group. Thanks to everyone who came out and a special thanks to Mark for posting the photos. I guess the good news is that we made the top of the front page. The bad news is that I can't see photos in the thread. Oh well, I was there!!!
Addendum: Thanks Mark and Doug for straightening things out.

Last edited:
weathered out again in Southern Oregon.

Well, for the third year in a row, I was packed to go, but couldn't escape the Rogue Valley with low clouds and drizzle.

Hopefully next year.

Well, for the third year in a row, I was packed to go, but couldn't escape the Rogue Valley with low clouds and drizzle.

Hopefully next year.

Hmm. Maybe you should move to Dayton, Steve! Weather here has been great all four years.

Back