What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Please help me order the right AN fitting

lndwarrior

Well Known Member
I admit the AN numbering system gets me totally confused and I have repeatedly ordered the wrong fittings. I'm at the point I no longer trust my own judgement on this.

My current problem is that I am trying to order from Aircraft Spruce a 90 elbow for the outlet of my Andair FS20x3 fuel valve.

The outlet is a male threaded end that measures 1/2" across the threads.

Because the literature I have says the fitting are 3/8" I ordered what I thought was a 3/8" female elbow from AS , model AN916-3. When I got this elbow, the opening measures 5/8" across and is too large for the fuel valve fitting.

I'm so friggen confused I have no idea how to figure this out.

1. Since the male end on the valve measures 1/2" to I need a 1/2" AN fitting? AN916-4?

2. Is the elbow I received from AS really a AN916-3 since the threads measure 5/8" and not 3/8"?

3. Does a 3/8" AN male fitting actually measure at 1/2"?

4. My real question is what AN elbow do i order to fit a thread that measures 1/2" across?

I appreciate any help.

Dazed and confused in Cloverdale,

Gary

I would ...

...call ACS and tell them your dilemma. They are good people and will explain how the measuring system works. In a nutshell, AN's are measured in
16's of an inch, so AN 6=6/16th's across the opening or 3/8ths and an AN 4 will be 4/16/aka 1/4.

Jerry

Sizes

These two pictures may help -

Picture-7.png

and

NPT%20thread%20standard%2001.jpg

I think you can print the top picture to scale using the dimensions in the lower picture. Play around with the scaling function as you print.

Those charts help a lot. I've spent hours on the internet trying to get this information. It's been driving me to extreme frustration having my whole project held up because I cannot figure out how to order these simple fittings.

Thank you!
Gary

These two pictures may help -

Picture-7.png

and

NPT%20thread%20standard%2001.jpg

I think you can print the top picture to scale using the dimensions in the lower picture. Play around with the scaling function as you print.

+1 ACS Catalog

I had the same problem and found the those images on page 105 of the Spruce 2014-2015 catalog. It was very helpful. The paper catalog is big and bulky, but has a wealth of information.

Once you've got a handle on how the sizes & terms work, you might find the Earl's Plumbing site useful. The various types of connectors & adapters have images with the A/N numbers. It made it much easier for me to identify the part number of connector/adapter I needed.

They have a help section, but a lot of the links seem to be broken at the moment.

http://www.anplumbing.com/

Charlie

Back