What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What to do next?

msmst25

Well Known Member
I think I'm kind of in the same boat as many others at this point with an unexpected wait for the next kits (finishing and QB wings).
I've got my cabin cover fitted into place, but I still have my forward fuselage substructure clecoed into position because it was recommended to leave this off in order to add avionics later. I haven't installed the windows yet, because it seems like it would be better to do this after the cabin cover is attached permanently.
While I'm waiting for the next kits, what would people recommend doing in the interim? I'm planning to go with an Advanced Panel from AFS, but it's too early to start purchasing avionics.
I appreciate any suggestions you can make.

Not to be snarky, but I'd suggest taking the interruption in stride (my build took 5 years from QB-stage - weeks and even months of delay are truly small potatoes in the grander scheme) and spending some extended quality time with whomever you are neglecting in order to work on the plane (and unless you're single, someone definitely fits that description if we are being honest). It will pay dividends for all concerned going forward, when the time comes to resume bashing rivets (which as surely as the sun rises, it will).

I'm flying phase 1 now, but the 5 years I spent in the basement were much longer in my wife's eyes than they were in mine, and that's something I'd do differently if I had a do-over, even though we made it through.

I would consider changing to an SB wing, as the time added may equal the wait time for QB. I would do my avionics and all fuse wiring while waiting. Use the time to learn and do your own panel and harnesses. I would also check on wait time for finishing kit (it may be faster), as doors take a long time to complete, as well as cabin top finishing.

You could also learn to upholster while waiting. I saved $4000 by doing my own seats in ultra-leather. They came out very nice and I get a lot of compliments. I learned to sew with a commercial machine back in the day when I made my own sails. Making patterns is not hard for someone that can build an airplane; at least someone that does fabrication as part of the process. You can get an old singer industrial machine for under $100. Mine is 80+ years old and built like a tank.

Larry

Last edited:
Finish kit

I’ve had the finish kit on order for awhile now. It is supposed to arrive in May. I assume that work will last until the wings finally arrive.

I wonder if you could buy the door halves and hinges required now and take the parts out of the finish kit. Fitting the doors to the cabin top is a huge time sink!
You could also potentially get the windows from Cee Bailey. Getting that all put together would kill the majority if not all of your wait window.

Forward fuselage

This may seem like a stupid question, but is it possible to attach the cabin top prior to attaching the upper forward fuselage assembly? Just attach it everywhere but the few screws at the top of the front flange. That way I could get the cabin cover attached and install the rear windows now.
I'm still waiting for the Aerosport overhead console, so installing that will take up some time. I think I may work on making a smooth surface on the cabin cover interior for now so that I can paint it and not use a headliner.
If the overhead console arrives soon, by the time I get that installed and the cabin cover installed (if that's reasonable to do), the finishing kit should arrive shortly after.
Thanks for all of the suggestions

Yep.

No issue installing the upper forward fuse after the cabin top is fully on.
I did this same thing just a couple months ago..

This may seem like a stupid question, but is it possible to attach the cabin top prior to attaching the upper forward fuselage assembly? Just attach it everywhere but the few screws at the top of the front flange. That way I could get the cabin cover attached and install the rear windows now.
I'm still waiting for the Aerosport overhead console, so installing that will take up some time. I think I may work on making a smooth surface on the cabin cover interior for now so that I can paint it and not use a headliner.
If the overhead console arrives soon, by the time I get that installed and the cabin cover installed (if that's reasonable to do), the finishing kit should arrive shortly after.
Thanks for all of the suggestions

Back