Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-29-2021, 04:26 PM
unfluencer

Thumbs up RV-10 N783V: My 1st Emergency

[ed. Posted in 'What did you do this weekend' by Randy Vanstory. Copied here with thanks to Randy for sharing. v/r,dr]
(Randy)"Flew my newly minted RV-10 on it's first cross country pleasure trip to Page AZ. Flew in Thursday, almost got myself killed with stupid pilot mistakes (multiple). Realized afterwards that the cockpit camera was on the whole time. Here's a YouTube video for those who wish to learn from someone else's stupidity! (It is embarrassing to admit, but hopefully, someone will learn from it.)"

Video at: https://youtu.be/lZPDfZArP_Q

Click image for larger version

Name:	VAFDR_13 Mar. 29 17.22.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	9821

• Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 03-29-2021 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:08 PM

All I can say is wow!

One nice feature of the GI260 AOA indicator (mounts on the glareshield) is it has a 'Mute' button on it and shows visually right in front of you something is amiss, I figured out how to shut off the noise one day after leaving the pitot cover on (behavior is the same as an iced up probe). Very distracting to say the least, of course you have to realize what's causing the noise first.

Might be a good exercise for folks to cover up their pitot and see what it does to your glass panel when flying.

Although I love the looks of the panel I think it offers a good lesson on panel ergonomics as well, constantly leaning over to set up the GTN looked like a real problem, doing that with no AP is always going to put you in a bank. A couple of times there it looked the bank angle was quite steep, almost the beginning of a spiral. Looked scary.

Probably not a good idea to start pulling breakers/trouble-shooting when in that situation, you were forgetting to fly the plane and could have very easily made things worse.

Congrats on making a safe outcome and keeping your head, the situation could have easily ended badly.

Thanks for sharing!!

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1900+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154

Last edited by Walt : 03-30-2021 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:12 PM

Default Thanks for sharing!

I really appreciate you shedding your ego and sharing this with the community. Congrats on safely getting on the ground!
Old 03-29-2021, 05:15 PM

Good video - likely to be a classic.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:27 PM

Many good lessons for sure...thankfully they were shared voluntarily and not in an NTSB report.

I am still not sure how I feel about in-flight videos. Most airline pilots (myself included when I flew airline) are adamantly opposed to them, yet in GA they are becoming ubiquitous. Wonder about the conscious or unconscious influence filming has on aeronautical decision making?

Thanks for sharing!
RV-7 #72497
Lycoming IO-360-M1A, Catto 3-blade,
Dual GRT HX, Garmin 530W, SL30, GTX327
TruTrak II VSGV, EchoUAT
2021 Dues (Plus) Paid
Old 03-29-2021, 09:20 PM

Default "Pilot Error"

I see in the video the poster blames pilot error. I don't like the term "pilot error", it's used as a "pilot did something dumb", and ends the analysis there. Lets start asking "why" as well. Why did a pilot make the error? Why did a pilot get into the situation to make the error? Once we know how a pilot was put into a situation to make the error, we can work to eliminate the situation. Change the situation so the error isn't available to make.

I'll pick the easy one in the video, pitot icing. Bigger planes fly with the pitot heat always on. It's turned on before take-off and turned off after landing. Doesn't matter the weather. Had the pitot heat been turned on prior to take-off as a matter of SOP, the error of "forgetting the pitot heat in IMC" wouldn't be available.

There's only one person on the planet with the whole story, and account of events. That person should ask themselves the "why?" question sufficient times to know how situation permitted the error to be an option.
Fuselage started
Dash 8 day job is financing the RV8
Donation till September 2021
Old 03-30-2021, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
All I can say is wow!

Although I love the looks of the panel I think it offers a good lesson on panel ergonomics as well, constantly leaning over to set up the GTN looked like a real problem, ....
Perhaps there is a reason the GTN installation manual specifies a maximum distance from the primary AI. Likewise, the back up mini efis needs to be close enough to be in your typical scan - otherwise it loses much of its value. The pilot clearly isn’t used to scanning it - just an quick glance up from the GTN should have shown the bank.
Flying in visible moisture at and below freezing requires extra vigilance. Clearly pitot heat should have been on. Not to scare you any more, but since you were getting pitot ice it’s quite possible you were also picking up some airframe ice as well.
And of course, you know you broke a cardinal rule - flying vfr into IMC, and then, not doing a 180.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:02 AM

Default AOPA there I was material

Definitely one for Richard McSpadden to put on his AOPA There I Was podcast.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...ts/there-i-was

Another VAF member Doug Rozendaal was on recently with a really great story and a lot of lessons.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:46 AM

Over all, you got thru it without a disaster, so a good learning experience. In that spirit, may I offer a few suggestions for next time?
1. “With you” is jargon, totally unnecessary. Worse, the meaning is, “controller I WAS WITH told me to call you, so here I am, now WITH YOU.” Point is, if you use that phrase when you just ‘pop up’ (more jargon!) some controllers will think they missed a handoff and are now confused themselves.
2. Always identify the procedure with its full name, e.g., “RNAV gps 15 Paige”, not just ‘15 approach’. That will avoid questions like, ‘Are you requesting the visual?’ . And I personally have been given vectors for the same approach at the wrong airport. This is one area where you want to be clear.
3. Think (now, on the ground) how you will handle future failed airspeed occurrences. Your GTN, and probably the efis can display gps ground speeds, which are fine for cruise. For approaches, assuming zero wind or a headwind, just go for your usual approach speed if down low. For Page, I’d increase ground speed by about 10% (cold) or 15%(hot) to account for density altitude, and also add in any tailwind. Be careful, your true airspeed at page will look faster than you’re used to, due to the density altitude.
4. You do understand, between your phraseology, and difficulty holding heading, this controller treated you as an emergency? No big deal, that’s their job.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8safe View Post
Many good lessons for sure...thankfully they were shared voluntarily and not in an NTSB report.

I am still not sure how I feel about in-flight videos. Most airline pilots (myself included when I flew airline) are adamantly opposed to them, yet in GA they are becoming ubiquitous. Wonder about the conscious or unconscious influence filming has on aeronautical decision making?

Thanks for sharing!
Watch this video until the end. The camera was never very far from this student's mind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5nBt_ogi7U
AFS 5400/3500, G5, 430W, some other stuff