What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake reservoir failure...need replacement

MacCool

Well Known Member
At least one of the builder's blogs I read observed that he thought this brake fluid reservoir in the build kit would be prone to breakage. Sure enough, on this current condition inspection, when my A&P looked at the reservoir on my 10 year-old -9A, one of the flanges is broken.

Can anyone tell me the part number for that brake fluid reservoir? (Van's parts website...well, you know...)

Alternatively, does anyone have a good alternative solution, or at least a modification that might prevent this breakage in the future?

Attachments

• brake reservoir.jpg
    brake reservoir.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 292
At least one of the builder's blogs I read observed that he thought this brake fluid reservoir in the build kit would be prone to breakage. Sure enough, on this current condition inspection, when my A&P looked at the reservoir on my 10 year-old -9A, one of the flanges is broken.

Can anyone tell me the part number for that brake fluid reservoir? (Van's parts website...well, you know...)

Alternatively, does anyone have a good alternative solution, or at least a modification that might prevent this breakage in the future?

Van's Aircraft has replacements -- VA-107.

Put a stack of AN960-10 washers under each "ear" to move the reservoir away from the firewall so no part of the reservoir touches the firewall. I think the plans call for 2 each side, I ended up with 3 or 4 and a longer bolt than specified.

Last edited:
Van's Aircraft has replacements -- VA-107.

Put a stack of AN960-10 washers under each "ear" to move the reservoir away from the firewall so no part of the reservoir touches the firewall. I think the plans call for 2 each side, I ended up with 3 or 4 and a longer bolt than specified.

Look at the photo. There is a gap between the mounting ear and FW so there is most likely washer spacers there.

You might check around your Minnesota buddies to see if they have one in a box somewhere. Many, many builders use individual brake reservoirs on their master cylinders, so these Van’s parts are just leftovers and get lost in the hangar somewhere. I’m guessing I have a couple of them around from kits I built where I didn’t use them - the only question is where they might be. But I bet you can find one local.

Paul

Got one. Pay for shipping and it’s yours. When you install it, hog out the hole slightly, so it’s not under stress.

Here is the Clear Matco Reservoir used by alot of Synergy builders. Takes a custom mount to the top of the reservoir to mount on the firewall nutplates. Thats pretty easy. What we found was the reservoir fitting wasn't secured to an aircraft structure,
With the reservoir, we use our 6501-0402 90* fitting at the reservoir. Its connected to either a AN834-4J, or a universal 2705-0402 male bulkhead to Female 1/8 npt port, This allows a variey to plumbing options to be used. ON our Vans conversions, we usually use the 864 unit, but is all -4 hoses are using utilized, the 834 is a great unit; The bulkhead fitting passes through the stock hold in the firewall for the reservoir, with the washer and the bulkhead hut. Connections to the teflon hoses are stock. (in the terms are -3 hose being use we can change teh -3 straight a 90* and straight hose ends to -3/-4 just sized fittings to fit the hose and the flared connectons.

Tom

Attachments

• MATCO Clear reservoir 2.jpg
    MATCO Clear reservoir 2.jpg
    703.8 KB · Views: 178
  • Matco reservoir bracket.jpg
    Matco reservoir bracket.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 138
  • MATCO RESERVOIR.jpg
    MATCO RESERVOIR.jpg
    459.4 KB · Views: 215
  • NEW BULKHEAD FITTING.jpg
    NEW BULKHEAD FITTING.jpg
    569 KB · Views: 141
  • Matco reservoir tee fitting 1.jpg
    Matco reservoir tee fitting 1.jpg
    602.3 KB · Views: 134
  • SS2705-0402.jpg
    SS2705-0402.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 116
  • AN826-3D.jpg
    AN826-3D.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 89
  • AN826-4D.jpg
    AN826-4D.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 6501-0402.jpg
    6501-0402.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 101
I went with a hot-rod billet aluminum reservoir. It has the diaphragm under the cap, which I needed since I run DOT4 brake fluid.

FP14042012A0004T.jpg

You might check around your Minnesota buddies to see if they have one in a box somewhere. Many, many builders use individual brake reservoirs on their master cylinders, so these Van’s parts are just leftovers and get lost in the hangar somewhere. I’m guessing I have a couple of them around from kits I built where I didn’t use them - the only question is where they might be. But I bet you can find one local.

Paul

Got one. Pay for shipping and it’s yours. When you install it, hog out the hole slightly, so it’s not under stress.

I appreciate the offers, but my A&P already got one from Van's.

Unfortunately, I don't have many Minnesota RV buddies yet. I've only had this RV-9A about 6 months and the whole COVID thing as well as the 120 miles to the Twin Cities has curtailed my access to the hub of RV activity in this state. I'm looking forward to the day.....

Thanks for the help, everybody. I've been a pilot for many decades but I'm brand new to E-AB in general and the RV community specifically. Pretty impressive.

Acro valve

Since Grove was mentioned....

Is anyone using the Grove Acro valve on the stock Vans reservoir? I’m wondering if one of the size options is compatible.

Back