Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2021, 03:41 PM

Default airport refusing to rent me a hangar to build

to rent a hangar here they want the N-number, liability insurance, and most recent annual inspection. I can probably sort out 1 and 2, but #3 might be an issue.

I'm certain this is an airport that has received federal grant money and is bound by the grant agreements, to include what the FAA has designated as aviation use, which specifically includes building an aircraft.

however, they're saying no and I have no idea how or who to argue my point with.

from the airport handbook FAQ

Question 8. What aeronautical uses of a hangar are permissible?

FAA Response.

Storage of active aircraft.
Shelter for maintenance, repair, or refurbishment of aircraft, but not the indefinite storage of non-operational aircraft.
Construction of amateur-built or kit-built aircraft provided that activities are conducted safely;
Old 01-26-2021, 03:48 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

I would go straight for getting a letter from an aviation attorney.

You might be able to get through this yourself, but maybe not.

And, while they are stalling you with denials, they rent to someone else.

Alternate might be to enlist a partner who has a plane already, and get it that way?

Are you with AOPA?? They may be able to help.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."

Last edited by Mike S : 01-26-2021 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post

Alternate might be to enlist a partner who has a plane already, and get it that way?
I tried that but they already have the max # of hangars they will give them. Attorney letter might work, I'm trying to play nice in the meantime. I wasn't sure if EAA had any resources for me or if the airport even can deny me a hangar for an authorized use.

Last edited by philip_g : 01-26-2021 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip_g View Post
I tried that but they already have the max # of hangars they will give them. Attorney letter might work, I'm trying to play nice in the meantime. I wasn't sure if EAA had any resources for me or if the airport even can deny me a hangar for an authorized use.
AOPA is probably a good resource too.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 01-26-2021, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
AOPA is probably a good resource too.
I dropped aopa somewhere along the line but if I need a lawyer I'll sign up and use their service. The guy I've used in the past is in a different state
Old 01-26-2021, 04:53 PM

Default Personally, I donít Respond Well to Threats

If itís an airport with a (long) wait list, your chances might be slim. Theyíve likely had experiences with builders whoíve never finished or used the hangar as a storage locker. In the meantime, itís one less opportunity to sell fuel or other services that the airport might offer. Youíre a drag on their business until/unless you finish. It might work better if you ask them for a possible solution rather then come in with guns blazing. Your problem is not uncommon. Try to think of it from their perspective and you may have a better chance of both winning.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP
Old 01-26-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrykohler View Post
If it’s an airport with a (long) wait list, your chances might be slim. They’ve likely had experiences with builders who’ve never finished or used the hangar as a storage locker. In the meantime, it’s one less opportunity to sell fuel or other services that the airport might offer. You’re a drag on their business until/unless you finish. It might work better if you ask them for a possible solution rather then come in with guns blazing. Your problem is not uncommon. Try to think of it from their perspective and you may have a better chance of both winning.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP
apparently there are available hangars. I thought there was a list but they just evicted a bunch of people. they can evict you for any reason they want (and often do)
if I needed to I could find somewhere to build and just take it to the hangar for final assembly. I just don't know where.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:04 PM

IIRC, this subject was discussed in great length here on the forum many years ago. The poor guy trying to get a hanger to build in, like you, ended up spending a small fortune trying to force the airport into renting him a hanger. It involved the municipality that owned the airport, many lawyer hours billed, his local and state reps, a lawsuit that he lost, and it cost him at least $20,000 to fight his loosing battle. Guns blazing and threats are not the way to go here. Good luck though. I would look for some local shop space to lease instead, either commercial, or private from someone with a pole barn you can lease. You'll end up with an airplane for that hanger you will want and need.
RV-10: #41686 Under Construction
RV-9A: #90949 Under Construction
RV-10: #40637 Completed/Sold 2016
Cozy MKIV:#656 Completed/Sold 2007
"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2021
Old 01-26-2021, 05:15 PM

Default Airplanes with no home...

Hanger space is at a premium. I am on the waiting list at 3 airports but many of the hangers are filled with business inventory, RVs and airplanes that haven't been airworthy in a decade. Many have found they can enjoy the additional security that an airport can provide and use the facilities for everything except aviation. Not sure what their beef would be with you wanting to build an airplane. It's a quagmire without a solution as far as I can tell.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9GT View Post
I would look for some local shop space to lease instead, either commercial, or private from someone with a pole barn you can lease. You'll end up with an airplane for that hanger you will want and need.
I've been keeping an eye out as it could be closer to my house but no luck, not for less than $1500 a month, anyway