What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is there to do at Johnson Creek, ID (3U2)?

roofus4

I?m trying to figure out the next leg of my camping trip. I?m currently in Escalante Utah. Thinking about hitting Johnson?s creek later, but not sure what there is to do there. In particular, I?m hoping there?s hiking. I know there?s camping, and the airport looks really nice, just trying to figure out how I will entertain myself. I?ve heard there?s good fishing, but I?m not much of a fisherman.

Let me know if you guys know of other possible Idaho airports that might be better suited.

Thanks guys.

Doesn?t get any better than Johnson Creek...

Daily air show
Hiking to the hot springs bath tub
Hike to the old mine building
Taking courtesy car into yellow pine
Ice cream truck comes by
Wade in the Creek
Fish in the creek
Play Bocchi ball on the grass
Community fire with story after story
Surf the net and charge your devices
Check out the bicycles
Gawk at rows of airplanes
Star gaze

That?s just a few...

Oh, man. Ok, That sounds like a good place to make camp for a bit. Is it like that even in May?
Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Bring food to eat or cook because only one restaurant was open in Yellow Pine last summer. Or you can fly out to the Smiley Creek lodge when it opens for the summer season on June 5. Or fly out to McCall, KMYL. Or fly to Big Creek.
You can rent the courtesy car or borrow the clapped out Nissan Pathfinder owned by the restaurant owner. It's parked near the south end of the runway.
Yes, you can charge your devices at the airport but the wifi is actually better in HBC at Oshkosh.
We're thinking of going to JC for the annual Harmonica Festival in early August this year. Lots more things to see/do/hear in Yellow Pine then.

How's escelante?

Escalante was a great place to start my trip! Great camp area with covered pavilion that had running water, a refrigerator, microwave, and a gas grill. Best part was the car. I was the only one there for 5 days and had the courtesy car all to myself. I went hiking every day. The place is absolutely beautiful, the hikes were phenomenal, and having access to the car is what made it all possible. It was great to be able to shower every night as well. The pilots lounge was well equipped with coffee and tea, as well as water bottles in the mini fridge.

Back