What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whats a really good noise cancelling headset for RV Flying

Hey VAF....anyone have any recommendations for a noise cancelling headset? I've been out of flying for a while, so a little out of the know. I've seen some ear insert headsets, don't know too much about them tho. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

How much do you want to spend??

I have used Headsets Inc for 4 conversions, really like them.

They are probably the lowest cost available, offer both conversion kits for your existing units or new complete units.

http://www.headsetsinc.com/ANR_kits.html

Of course if $$ is no object, then look at Bose for sure.

Also, look into the in-ear stuff, here is a link to one made by a couple of RV folks. https://cqheadset.com/

Last edited:
For the conventional style, Bose is the gold standard, but they're also $1,200 a pop.

I've got Zulu light speeds which I think I paid about $850 for about 10 years ago. Not exactly cheap either, but they've held up well. I've probably worn them about 500 hours with no problems and when you turn on the ANR, it' like God hit the mute button for the world.

Never tried the ear plug style, but some people like the fact that they give more clearance between the top of your head and the canopy.

This seems to be highly personal. Maybe the shape of your head? Some swear by brand A others say brand B is better. If at all possible you should borrow several different models and try them yourself, in flight. Personally, I didn’t like the Bose as much as the Lightspeed Zulu. But I didn’t like either price! I ended up with two Zulus up front, but two Lightspeed Sierras in the back. The Sierras aren’t quite as good, but close.

Last edited:
Keep an eye out for nice used ones. I have two Bose X and a Lightspeed Zulu, and I haven't paid more than $500 for any of them.

I bought the Lightspeed Zulu when we got the Cessna 182 towplane, because the headroom is marginal for me, especially with the sun visors, and the center hinge on the Bose sticks up a bit higher, whereas the Lightspeed fit a little closer to the top of my head.

Having used both, I have to say I like the Lightspeed better, but it is definitely a personal preference thing.

ANR Headsets

All the ANR headsets that I have tried in RV aircraft have been great.

I like the Bose A20 the best.

I dislike the Zulu PFX the most.

When working correctly, they were all good enough to the point that they become like underwear, a personal preference.

I have a set of headsets inc conversions in a pair of DC h10-30's and a couple of bose a20, and some other cheap ANR that was popular on pilotsofamerica for awhile (www.thesquawkshoppe.com seem to be out of business now) that worked for about 3 months and broke. If you can save up, get the bose. I tried the DC one-x too and sent it back. I'm happy with the bose other than the cost. QT halos didn't work out for me either.

Last edited:
I've got two older ANR headsets, an old sennheiser I use in my 8 and an old Telex 850, the latter very light and small, Neded in my cramped single seat cockpit. Tried the Bose (too cumbersome, too expensive) The Zulu was ok but I really don't see all the hype of the two 'big' brands! Each to their own I guess.

I have 2 Lightspeed Zulu 3's, 1 Zulu 2, and a Lightspeed Tango. I'm sort of partial to Lightspeed, really do like them.

I use the Bose for 737 and Luscombe. Great headset and love the blue tooth.

I use Clarity for RV. Mainly because I like the ability turn my head around un restricted, they don't fall back during Gs, and I can plug in my iphone for tunes. I'm also a short guy and have to sit up. My A-20s make contact, and I'm scared of scratching the canopy.

David Clark

+1 on the David Clark DC-One-X ANC...I'm very happy with them...Additionally, I believe that David Clark is completely manufactured in the USA, where Bose has its HQ in the USA, but is manufactured in Malaysia, Mexico and China (as well as the USA)....nothing against Bose; its a fine product..but I wanted to go as much USA made as possible..and I believe David Clark is about as close as I can get...and that is personally important to me at this time.

This is a topic with a lot of individual passion and preference from all angles. Luckily there are just as many choices. If you choose to try an in-the-ear headset, we'll be here for you. The obvious key to success is ear tip insertion which can render a real life comparison of total noise attenuation to ANR moot.

The CQ1 headset is flying in many hundreds of RVs as well as an amazing spectrum of airframes around the world including Airbus, Boeing, Bombardier and Beechcraft just to name a few. From up high where the air is thin to down low with the doors off. Many customers are flying them all day to make a buck and avoid the traditional head clamp.

Whatever you get, I highly recommend you get them with LEMO plugs. It is so much nicer to have them powered from the panel VS changing batteries.

Whatever you get, I highly recommend you get them with LEMO plugs. It is so much nicer to have them powered from the panel VS changing batteries.

valid point. I didn't get lemo because I didn't have lemo plugs at the time, it's a lot easier to adapt a lemo headset to a 2 prong plane than the other way around (it can be done but you don't get power) and bose wanted something like $350 per headset to change them to lemo when I got a plane with lemos

nice thing is almost everyone has a generous return policy so keep trying stuff until you find one you like.

Firstly, I'll say I don't have CQ1's... but I will heartily second Scott's position that one does NOT need ANR in order to have excellent noise attenuation.

I have a couple of pairs of Quiet Technologies Halos - the technology baseline from which the CQ1 was developed. These "in ear" headsets provide noise attenuation every bit the equal of any of the ANR headsets, without the weight, heat and electrical requirements. They just work, plain and simple.

I've done back-to-back testing in my noisy airplane with the Halos, Bose X and David Clark H-10-13.4. What an eye-opener that was. For years I thought the H10-13.4 was the gold standard. Wow, was I WRONG! I couldn't believe how little they attenuated the noise. The Bose X and Halo were pretty similar, with the edge going to the Halo as it seemed to work better across a broader range of frequencies as I adjusted engine RPM.

There's no need to go with an ANR headset - and there's no need to spend that kind of money.

Now for the twist in this story... My Bose X headset is the one that I used for doing Young Eagles flights, for general passenger carrying etc. It died for a second time. Of course Bose has completely dead-ended support for the headset so now I'm on the hunt for a Bose X that still has working electronics (mine won't power on). I know I could send them to a third party repair shop but when I look at the cost of doing so it's pretty high and I still would have an old Bose X with crappy plastic earcup stirrups that will break again and again.

My solution was to buy a pair of David Clark One-X. I'm perfectly happy with them. Noise attenuation is excellent. Comfort is excellent. Battery life is still in the "I'll let you know once the first set dies" category - DC claims 40 hours and I'm well past that and still going strong. Plus they are backed by DC's warranty which is the gold standard in the business.

Now for the down-side... My wife got ahold of the One-X and has claimed it for her own. I get to "borrow" it from time to time. What a tough life I lead! :)

I mentioned I currently use Lightspeeds too but forgot to be more specific. I use the Lightspeed Mach 1 and it's great. Too bad they don't sell them new anymore so I'll just keep using them until they break and can't be repaired. Still ticking after a decade though.

Someone mentioned LEMO plugs. I highly recommend those. Especially when combined with a coiled cord. The coiled cord eliminates cockpit tangles and are tough as nails. I think only the A20 comes with this option. A side benefit of LEMO is most other operators don't have the jacks or adapters so can't borrow them.

DC One-XP for me. I've never cared for Bose headsets, but that's mostly a personal fit-related thing. Fit aside, David Clark customer service - on the few occasions I've needed them over the last 30 years - has been exemplary.

Best in performance or best in value, Best for your head and preferences. There is no best.

Passive headsets are still GOOD. I still have my old Peltor I used as a CFI, Peltor got out of the aviation headset market. :( I have a ANR Sennheiser for flying jets, open pad, not great for a loud piston plane.

I am in the market for a head vice. I know Bose is very good but very expensive. Always felt all Bose products were over priced and over hyped, but no doubt the headsets are top notch. ANR technology has been around for many decades and it's not proprietary. I go with value, design, fit, finish, options and PRICE. I am not paying $1000 for Bose even if they are great. How great can they be over a $400 or $600 ANR headset?

Do your research and pay your money. Airshows are great places to try on headsets. When I was based in Seattle a local aviation shop at BFI had many headsets you could try on. Now we are online home delivered world. A headset with great ANR performance that does not fit, heavy, uncomfortable, breaks is no bargain. Ideally it would be best to fly with them for awhile before purchase. May be borrow from another pilot to try, and if you like it forget to return :rolleyes: :D , err I mean go buy that make/model.

Last edited:
Currently I use the Zulu PFX and love them. Started with a pair of Zulu Sierras that were ok. Tried a set of Zulu 2s that were better, then got a pair of PFXs. Each set was progressively better than the prior. The main thing that I have found with passengers is getting whatever ANR headset is to get the ear seal to fit properly during the passenger briefing. Not sure about the other manufacturers but Lightspeed is generally happy to supply (free of charge if you ask nicely) different thickness pads for the top of the headset to help fit different size heads. Big plus for my 3 and 5 year olds who wear them. Lightspeed also have exceptional support for their repair work. We have both the Zulu 2 and Zulu 3 for the back seat. Only difference between the two is the cord material (one is smooth rubber and the other looks like plastic rope). All that said my wife loves her pair of Clarity Alofts. Personally I don't like the pressure from the plugs in my ears although I feel the Clarity plugs are FAR superior to the Halo plugs. Lightspeed and Clarify aloft both have a 30 day trial period. Order a set and go fly with them. Your opinion is the only one that matters.

I tried Clarity and couldn't get them to work for me. Found out later when I got hearing aids that I have funny ears.
Numerous inquiries at Oshkosh have failed to result in a good discussion of why there are no earphones especially tuned to my Rotax912ULS.
I have Bose A20 and Lightspeed Zulu 3s and if I get another I'll look very hard at the DCs.
By the way, I have a pair of DC passives with the ANR added which is the only thing to wear when launching my incredibly noisy Pipistrel Taurus with the Rotax 503.

I have had all the Zulu's in the series as they were upgraded. The original Zulu was good, other than the battery life seemed inconsistent and the mike seemed difficult for my wife's low voice to break squelch. Same issue with Zulu 2's. At the same time air coming in the passenger vent could break squelch all of a sudden on the headset hanging on the strap. Some people had issues with the cord on these not being robust enough. I never had a problem that way. The PFX had amazing ANR but battery life was really short and the big clumsy control unit used 4 AA bats. When the batteries went south the ANR would stop working without warning. My flight bag was heavy with batteries. It is notable that the PFX concept was dropped from the lineup.

The Zulu 3 is a great headset. On a par with Bose A20. Great ANR, comfortable roomy ear cups, and the Kevlar (?) cord is bulletproof and flexible. The mike is a huge improvement over the earlier Zulu's and I can now hear my wife clearly on the intercom with no need for her to kiss the mike muff. Battery life on the 3 seems to be months. Very nice, I love the 3's.

The Bose A20 is good equipment also on the same level as the Zulu 3. The A20 ear cup is a bit smaller and if you have big ears like I do you might want to try the Zulu 3 and A20 each to see what is best for you. The mike on the Bose works as well as the Zulu 3, I think, but have not had my wife try the Bose, she loves her Zulu 3. I think comfort is the same for both of these with the exception that the A20 has a really stiff and robust cord and it's not nearly as flexible as the new Zulu cord. Appearance wise the Zulu looks a bit nicer if you like the metallic pieces but the A20 although with more plastic is very handsome as well. I don't think either is as strong mechanically as say a David Clark.

I have no extensive experience with other headsets other than the few I've tried can't compare with the Zulu or the A20.
I offer my experience in case you are considering buying a used headset, they are not all the same and the latest ones are definitely superior.

Last edited:
Echo the sentiments on the Lightspeed Zulus.

I've owned each Zulu from the original, currently have a pair of Zulu 3's, and each has been incrementally better than the last. Great support, comfort and performance.

Best in performance or best in value, Best for your head and preferences. There is no best.

Passive headsets are still GOOD. I still have my old Peltor I used as a CFI, Peltor got out of the aviation headset market. :( I have a ANR Sennheiser for flying jets, open pad, not great for a loud piston plane.

I am in the market for a head vice. I know Bose is very good but very expensive. Always felt all Bose products were over priced and over hyped, but no doubt the headsets are top notch. ANR technology has been around for many decades and it's not proprietary. I go with value, design, fit, finish, options and PRICE. I am not paying $1000 for Bose even if they are great. How great can they be over a $400 or $600 ANR headset?

I agree with the price gouge as it seams a little opportunistic for what the mass produced micro electronics cost, HOWEVER. The ANR head sets are quieter, and they DO protect priceless hearing. I would really enjoy reading an objective scientific study on the actual noise pressure reduction between the various ANR head sets. I have used David Clark (H10-13XL) , Bose A20, and Lightspeed Zulu. All side by side in the same deafening hull amphibian. IMHO in seriously loud cockpits the David Clark provide the best noise protection. The Bose A20 have the most accurate microphone for high fidelity voice replication. And the Zulu's are the most comfortable for my head and ears.

In any case, look after your hearing. Most people are born with amazing great hearing, and once damaged, it is gone for life.

I agree with the Peltors having great non ANC protection. That is what I wear for industrial on the ground protection.

Last edited:
Back