What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Precision sheet metal work

Who can punch or laser-cut 3&1/8" holes in 1/8" thick 5064-T3 aluminum?
The fly-cutter cannot.
Need to move a couple instruments; 3 holes total.
I will pay you.

Check out UpNorth Aviation .. did a great job on my panel with their CNC.

Have you tried cutting deep as possible on the face of the panel then cut the rest of the way from the back? I have cut thicker than 1/8" this way by hand. It also will help to reshape the cutter. If you're using a 1/4" cutter, reshape the cutter by clearing the part of the cutter toward the inside of the circle. In other words, reshape the cutter to cut only about a 1/16" groove in the plate and use a lubricant. WD40 works fine.

Try replacing the drill bit with a 1/4 inch rod and working into a pre-drilled hole in a plywood backing plate.

Thanks guys
-the ASSCo tool, while good, would make my holes over $80 each :(
-I am going to price the holes at the up north shop... but shipping might make a local waterjet or cnc shop more feasible.
-your encouragement & ideas on the fly cutter might drive me to try again especially if I dont like the ?fancy method?s? price.
-I have the sheet firmly attached to a thick sheet of steel and the 1/4? hole in that is holding things pretty steady...but the cutter is eating up the metal instead of making a nice cut.

My panel is .090 so not quite 1/8 but what I did was to use a punch like the one linked in post #3 but after getting the pilot hole in it I put the panel and punch in a hydraulic press instead of using the nut and bolt.

Got it done with your advice and
-flycutter in drill press
-workpiece securely attached to a large plank
-placed a 3/16" steel plate between them with a 1/" hole to guide the drill.
-the whole works then attached to the drillpress platform
NO shaking, drifting of part.
-Took the unfluted part of a dull/scrap 1/4" drill bit and used it where the drill bit was in the flycutter.
-predrilled the center of each hole then lined it up with holes in the steel plate and wood plank.
-freshened flycutter cutting bit (as depicted in previous post)
-minimized the amount that the cutting tool stuck out so as to reduce chance of it shifting in the flycutter
-really cranked on the flycutter allen screws and the drill press chuck
-lots of WD40 as I cut.
-patience, don't rush the cut
-started on one side, flipped and finished on the other for one but not the other holes.
-the piece was a bit unlevel, it was cutting on one side mostly so I shimmed it with thin cardboard scraps.

Fly cutter

I had great luck with a fly cutter tool with steel cutter (in a drill press of course). Carbide would be even better. Use lots of cutting oil.

Back