- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:04 AM

Default Running wing conduit

Studying Vans PDF and other builders pictures - the wiring conduit is run on the bottom of the ribs, closest to the ground when wings level. Vans says to use some sealant to keep the conduit from chafing. Watching the GBO video, it's suggested to run the conduit after riveting each individual rib/bottom skin so as not to interfere with the bucking bar for that rib. It would seem very difficult to add sealant 'as you go', vs before riveting the bottom skin on. Thoughts? Does anyone run the conduit closer to the top skin? Just install the conduit and work around it to buck? Not use the RTV at all?

Thanks,

John

RV-7 Slowwww build

Last edited by FlyGuy65 : 11-05-2019 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:24 AM

Default conduit

Here's how I did it, and it really worked well. Easy to get all the cables in that I needed. I had to create a cutout to exit for the wing servo, and that also just required a couple of holes.

http://www.rv8.ch/wing-wiring-conduit/

Old 11-05-2019, 08:16 AM

Default cpvc

Mine is similar but I used joist hangers:

Old 11-05-2019, 08:25 AM

Default Conduit

I installed the black stuff Vans sells in the designated location before riveting bottom skins. No problem bucking rivets. Adding a dollop of proseal at each intersection was easy. Just reach in with a glob on a popsicle stick. All it does is prevent the conduit from vibrating.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:26 AM

It?s not a big deal to rivet around the conduit if located where Vans suggests. I would highly recommend installing while the skins are off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy65 View Post
Studying Vans PDF and other builders pictures - the wiring conduit is run on the bottom of the ribs, closest to the ground when wings level. Vans says to use some sealant to keep the conduit from chafing. Watching the GBO video, it's suggested to run the conduit after riveting each individual rib/bottom skin so as not to interfere with the bucking bar for that rib. It would seem very difficult to add sealant 'as you go', vs before riveting the bottom skin on. Thoughts? Does anyone run the conduit closer to the top skin? Just install the conduit and work around it to buck? Not use the RTV at all?

Thanks,

John

RV-7 Slowwww build

Donation reminder: Jan. 2022
Old 11-05-2019, 08:49 AM

Default Just me

I ran the corregated Vans conduit in the designated holes. I ran the conduit before the bottom skin was on with no trouble riveting the bottom-skin. I also stretch the conduit so it wouldnt rub on the bottom skin in light turbulence. It was easy of added the proseal with the skin off.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
Tail 98% done
Wings 98% done
Fuselage Kit 98% done
Finishing Kit 35% canopy done for now
Electrical 85% in work
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 11-05-2019, 10:25 AM

Larry/John,

Did you find it a tight fit running the conduit? Seems like it will take a while to get these installed using the called out hole diameter.
Emp completed
Wings closed
Fuse in the works
Slider started
Lyc O-360-A1A ordered
2021 donation sent
Old 11-05-2019, 02:37 PM

Default Vans plan

I used the details on Vans optional plan and drilled the holes accordingly. The corrugated conduit fit in tight and i had to pull it thru with it snapping thru each corrugation.. but it worked as advertised.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
Tail 98% done
Wings 98% done
Fuselage Kit 98% done
Finishing Kit 35% canopy done for now
Electrical 85% in work
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 11-21-2019, 12:14 PM

Default wing conduit in a mounted wing of a flying aircraft

Running wing conduit in a mounted wing of a flying aircraft?
The second avionics update for my store bought -6 had me install an OAT probe close to the aileron bellcrank access on the right wing.

There are several ways to do this, the one used here was "cheap" and required awkward gymnastics... why are my arm and fist joints where they are and not where required for the task I ask

In a nutshell:
- had some leftover conduit as used when I built the -4 (just about 30 years ago...), only 4mm i.d. but plenty for the wire used
- the search engine is your friend and Mouser has exactly what I was looking for: Harness Clip, Mouser P/N 523-ALBCBS3045909. Right size and enough clamping pressure
- gain access to the ribs, e.g. remove the right seat and panels below, remove the aileron boots, remove the 2 bolts holding the right aileron pushrod and push it to the other side, and open the right aileron bellcrank access panel
- clip the clips on the ribs: for the hard to reach middle ribs, precisely measure the between ribs distance, then drill/dremel the cavities for the clips on a 2x1". Attach the conduit held to the clips by plastic ties onto that piece of wood, secure with some thin masking tape. Insert that contraption from the access panel side, adjust and slightly hammer the 2x1" down and remove it. For the rest of the clips, try retracting all muscles and bending the bones of your arm to reach the clips on the ribs from inside the fuse and the access panel...
- reinstall everything and check the clearance between the aileron pushrod and the clips

DC aka Dan

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
Old 11-21-2019, 01:14 PM

Default Conduut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitbuilt View Post
Larry/John,

Did you find it a tight fit running the conduit? Seems like it will take a while to get these installed using the called out hole diameter.
Yes. Just keep pulling. It will go.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.