What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New builder rivet question.

RandyAB

Well Known Member
Hello all.

I'm practicing my riveting on scraps and came across what is likely an elementary question. When riveting double dimpled nested parts, is the length of the rivet determined from the rim of the dimple immediately adjacent to the hole, or from base of the non dimpled part of the sheet? Likewise, once the rivet is bucked, is the height of the shop head measured from the rim of the dimple or from the base of the non dimpled part of the sheet?

Thanks for clarifying.
Randy

Last edited:
Hello all.

I'm practicing my riveting on scraps and came across what is likely an elementary question. When riveting double dimpled nested parts, is the length of the rivet determined from the rim of the dimple immediately adjacent to the hole, or from base of the non dimpled part of the sheet? Likewise, once the rivet is bucked, is the height of the shop head measured from the rim of the dimple or from the base of the non dimpled part of the sheet?

Thanks for clarifying.
Randy

I think I understand what you are asking. By Double dimpled you mean dimpled pieces that are layered on top of each other?

I am guessing you are trying to measure with a rivet gauge either to assess if it is long enough or if the formed shop head is adequate. If so you measure from the "rim" of the dimple. In other words the exposed rivet surface after it protrudes out of the hole.

Hope that makes sense and actually answered your question.

I think I understand what you are asking. By Double dimpled you mean dimpled pieces that are layered on top of each other?

I am guessing you are trying to measure with a rivet gauge either to assess if it is long enough or if the formed shop head is adequate. If so you measure from the "rim" of the dimple. In other words the exposed rivet surface after it protrudes out of the hole.

Hope that makes sense and actually answered your question.

Hey Jeff. Yes, you are understanding correctly. Thanks for your clarifying!

Randy

Back