What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A accident at LNA, Florida

I hope the pilot will fully recover from any injuries. On a positive note the article was well written and the newspaper did not try and demonise GA aircraft and aviation in general which happens all too often.

plane not piloted by Jackson

I was not the pilot, although I know him. I'll keep his name confidential, but he (the pilot) bought my RV-6A and took delivery of it a month ago. I guess the FAA registration hadn't yet been updated. I did get a brief text message from him on Sunday (the day of the accident) that he was ok, which is good news.

The owner/pilot was candid enough to email me on Monday his recollection of the last flight which ended in the crash. My unofficial synopsis (and with a heavy dose of Monday morning quarterbacking) is that the engine problem was caused by fuel contamination (water) which resulted in the engine's infrequent one-second missing as he climbed after departure. He reached 10,000 feet over LNA and elected to spiral down to land because of the engine misfiring. Unfortunately, his final approach speed was high, and he over-shot the runway. He managed to steer left and avoid a perimeter fence and highway at the end (which was smart), but that resulted in the plane flipping. It appears he cut his head, and people nearby helped him out of the plane by breaking its canopy (it had a slider). He was brought to a hospital, but released later that evening.

I'm so sad for him, and wish him well in his recovery.

Jerry

Last edited:
Fortunately for me, I was not the pilot. I'll keep his name confidential, but he (the pilot) bought my RV-6A and took delivery of it a month ago. My heart goes out to him, and I, too, wish him a speedy recovery. I did get a brief text message from him yesterday that he was ok, which is good news.

Jerry

Thank you for the update and clarification, Dr. Jackson.

Yep, that's the one.

I'm pretty sure there is no possible argument that's going to turn him around.

...I wonder what all the "deleted" comments said?

I read those deleted comments yesterday before they were deleted and they were pretty much unrelated to the topic. Either a troll or a twelve year old talking politics. Notice one of the user names is "redneckracistshatedhim"

Back